PDA

View Full Version : Custom amp install question

Bass911
03-07-2009, 04:26 PM
I have been looking at some custom install pics to get some ideas. I was wondering how do amps breathe when they are sitting flush under a plexiglass panel. It looks like none of them are well vented and would eventually over heat? Any tips because I'll be doing a similar install? I know all of them aren't rerouting their A/C?

grooverider
03-07-2009, 04:27 PM
how would you breathe under a plexiglass panel?

billjones42
03-07-2009, 04:34 PM
you can vent through holes on the sides that you carpet over so it doesn't look like there's holes there. Also, make sure your amp is fan cooled.

Girr
03-07-2009, 04:46 PM
you can vent through holes on the sides that you carpet over so it doesn't look like there's holes there. Also, make sure your amp is fan cooled.

If not you can hit the local radio shack and get a fan(computer) or two to move the air and still use the carpet covered holes to hide em, face one in and out have it wired to the amp remote.

Bass911
03-07-2009, 05:24 PM
That helps me a little, but I'm going with all Vinyl so how do I vent the amps now? I don't really see any good fan cooled amps that I like. I was trying to go for a small foot print amp. None of the amps I seen were fan cooled under the plexi in the custom installs. This is not my setup. I'm just doing the install. I have 3 Mtx amps with the Xtant cooling in my car, but no plexi yet. I saw some fan cooled Alphasonik amps but they're the same size as Shaq's feet, and I don't trust Alphasonik's quality.

billjones42
03-07-2009, 05:34 PM
I just so happen to have a PPI PCX-480 for sale in the classifieds that is fan cooled.