PDA

View Full Version : Aero vs. Slotted in a truck???

phensway
03-07-2009, 12:31 PM
I already used the SEARCH ENGINE!!! i have more questions though!!! lol.... i know that slotted ports make more noise, but looking at digital designs website they want the slotted port to point to the side, but there are restrictions. the port would be barely inches away from the side of my interior because i am building the box as big as possible to utilize every inch of space possible. I dont think i can do port up because i have interior issues under my rear window. Would you guys recommend aero ports up, which would probably work in my case? Or is it ok to put a slotted port to the side with my interior being close to the air flow? i know slotted would take a little longer to design and build, but i dont like the looks of aero ports, to me the seem like the easy way out even though some people claim they sound better. help?

01 S 10
03-07-2009, 12:34 PM
my next box will have 2 6" aeros firing up, i have an extended cab truck.

how big of a slot port will you be using? (the dimensions)

KHARPS
03-07-2009, 12:37 PM
I'm pretty sure I showed you a pic of my box before, right? A slot port firing to the side would be fine it's just that a slot port takes up way more volume than aeroports do. Since you have very little room to work with I think you should just use aeroports. Just make sure you make the side you are mounting them on big enough.

phensway
03-07-2009, 12:51 PM
i think i saw pics of your truck, if i remember correctly i have less mounting depth than you have. I realize that a slotted port would take up **** near half of a cubic foot, which ***** because i am already strapped for space. So i guess i will have to use aero ports. Should i fire them up or to the sides? does it matter where they are located in the box? I used the search engine and found the website on how to figure aero port lengths and size in relation to cubic feet, i didnt save it though, can anyone help me with that?

Kharps, have you tried sealed boxes in your truck? which was louder? thanks bro!

01 S 10
03-07-2009, 12:53 PM
i think i saw pics of your truck, if i remember correctly i have less mounting depth than you have. I realize that a slotted port would take up **** near half of a cubic foot, which ***** because i am already strapped for space. So i guess i will have to use aero ports. Should i fire them up or to the sides? does it matter where they are located in the box? I used the search engine and found the website on how to figure aero port lengths and size in relation to cubic feet, i didnt save it though, can anyone help me with that?

Kharps, have you tried sealed boxes in your truck? which was louder? thanks bro!

half a cube? how big is your box going to be and what subs? most slotted ports ive used measured between 1 and 2cf lol.. 2 6" full length aeros take up .5cf

phensway
03-07-2009, 12:59 PM
its a truck box, i have less than 2.5 cubes total!!! *****!!! i will be building it for 8 inch subs, either the e8's or 1508's. i pretty much found out that i need to use aero ports.

KHARPS
03-07-2009, 01:00 PM

I've had many sealed box setups. The most recent was a pair of 10'' Icons in 1.4 cubes with 500w each. It sounded great but my single 10'' ported setups have all been louder. As for port up or to the side it is all vehicle dependent. The only time I tried a box firing to the side it didn't sound good because it was too close to the passenger side wall of the truck. When I go home for spring break I'm going to put together a side firing box that is in the same spot my box is in now, but firing towards the driver's side.

01 S 10
03-07-2009, 01:02 PM
its a truck box, i have less than 2.5 cubes total!!! *****!!! i will be building it for 8 inch subs, either the e8's or 1508's. i pretty much found out that i need to use aero ports.

ok, i see. i was thinking you were taking the back seats out or something. in that case, the 2 8"s should only need about .5-.75cf net each. is that 2.5 cubes including the outer dimensions? what are the outer dimensions you have to work with, ill see if i can figure out what kind of port would work for you

x2o
03-07-2009, 01:09 PM
ok, i see. i was thinking you were taking the back seats out or something. in that case, the 2 8"s should only need about .5-.75cf net each. is that 2.5 cubes including the outer dimensions? what are the outer dimensions you have to work with, ill see if i can figure out what kind of port would work for you

Sorry to change topics here on you OP, but did you ever figure out the problem with that NightShade heating up 01 S 10?

And if that's 2.5 net (internal), then .5 cubes of port displacement would bring it to a bit less than 1 cube per sub, which should be pretty big for an 8" ported. Should work out nicely depending on tuning and power handling.

phensway
03-07-2009, 01:10 PM
the box length is around 57 inches and the height can either be 15 inches or 20 inches. If its 20 inches it needs a step out to move around a piece of plastic under my rear window. its raining really hard out and its cold as hell so i didnt measure all of the dimensions, plus im on crutches!! sorry!

x2o
03-07-2009, 01:12 PM
the box length is around 57 inches and the height can either be 15 inches or 20 inches. If its 20 inches it needs a step out to move around a piece of plastic under my rear window. its raining really hard out and its cold as hell so i didnt measure all of the dimensions, plus im on crutches!! sorry!

how wide are you going? And so you are taking out the back seat? I'm a bit confused :p:

phensway
03-07-2009, 01:14 PM
its a crew cab, im not taking out the back seats. but its a full sized truck and my width is somewhere in the neighborhood of 56 to 57 inches.

JBGabriel
03-07-2009, 01:17 PM
I would go aero ports to the drivers side... Thats how I do all my truck boxes and the results are always good.

x2o
03-07-2009, 01:17 PM
its a crew cab, im not taking out the back seats. but its a full sized truck and my width is somewhere in the neighborhood of 56 to 57 inches.

well, there are 3 dimensions to a box, yours are 56 x 15 x ??

What's the ??, lol :p:

01 S 10
03-07-2009, 01:18 PM
Sorry to change topics here on you OP, but did you ever figure out the problem with that NightShade heating up 01 S 10?

nobody knows what is causing it, the coils are somehow connected. when i connect my DMM to both coils at the same time (1 lead on 1 coil, other lead on other coil), im getting a reading. weird. im returning them to the seller and getting my money back. im either going with 1 18" nightshade, Atomic APX, or RD HW or SHW.

x2o
03-07-2009, 01:18 PM
And,
If its 20 inches it needs a step out to move around a piece of plastic under my rear window.

That made me think you were removing the rear seats, how else would you hit the window?

x2o
03-07-2009, 01:19 PM
nobody knows what is causing it, the coils are somehow connected. when i connect my DMM to both coils at the same time (1 lead on 1 coil, other lead on other coil), im getting a reading. weird. im returning them to the seller and getting my money back. im either going with 1 18" nightshade, Atomic APX, or RD HW or SHW.

That's odd, a weird manufacturing defect for sure :crazy:

phensway
03-07-2009, 01:24 PM
the bottom dimension of the box is near 7 inches. im on crutches and its raining out so my measurements were short hand! sorry fellas. there is a piece of plastic under my rear window and my box needs a step on the back if i want to utilize more cubic airspace.

x2o
03-07-2009, 01:28 PM
the bottom dimension of the box is near 7 inches. im on crutches and its raining out so my measurements were short hand! sorry fellas. there is a piece of plastic under my rear window and my box needs a step on the back if i want to utilize more cubic airspace.

Gotcha, I understand you can't go out and take measurements, that's no big deal, but at least a good guess :).

so we're looking at 56 x 15 x 7 with no-hassle building.

That's 2.34 cubes internally. You said the port was about 1/2 a cube, so that's 1.8 cubes, for the fun of it say sub displacement is .1, so that's 1.6 cubes. Meaning 0.8 cubes per sub ported, which is still a bit on the big side for most 8" subs. :).

Sundown E8's recommend .6 or .75 I think ported, so with the 15" box you have more then sufficient air space. I'd go with the slot port towards the side just as DD suggested. :).

phensway
03-07-2009, 01:38 PM
i could make the box a little shorter to make room for the slotted port on the side, or i could run 3 e8's!! do i have enough room for that?

x2o
03-07-2009, 01:44 PM
i could make the box a little shorter to make room for the slotted port on the side, or i could run 3 e8's!! do i have enough room for that?

If you go 52" W for the box to give the port 4-5" of breathing room, you'll go down to about 1.5 cubes if your port is still .5 cubes and sub displacement is 1. That's a good size / a bit big for 2 8's.

Now, if you go 20" high and 52" wide, still porting to the side, you'll get about 2.5 cubes after port but before sub displacements, so like 2.3-2.4 after sub displacements. That's about .7-.8 cubes per sub. So, if you can get the 20" high box to work, you can go with 3 E8's. Not sure on box requirements for the 1508's, but E8's recommend .6cubes. It'll end up around that since you will likely need to increase port size a bit to compensate for the extra displacement and avoid noise.

This is all with slot ports, aero ports would decrese port displacement a whole lot.

phensway
03-07-2009, 03:57 PM
i think i will probably give aero ports a chance because i want to utilize the most airspace possible so i can run more subs. thanks for all the great help, when i actually get down to building the box after my ankle heals i will probably be sending you guys a pm, thanks again!