PDA

View Full Version : Why my highs sound distorted?

yo0123yo
03-06-2009, 10:41 PM
when i turn my music up pretty high i am hearing distortion coming from only my tweeters they are the kicker ones..ive had my system for over a year with no problems and this is the only problem the music jus sounds ridiculously distorted im running the 350.4 to them and its powering 4 other pioneer 6.5's. what would cause the highs to be distorting after about a year?

shaneb
03-06-2009, 10:45 PM
tweeters go poof

yo0123yo
03-06-2009, 10:52 PM
**** so u think they are blown? cuz its weird they both sound ****ed up but only when they are loud they dont sound distorted when they are low.

Xprime4
03-06-2009, 11:35 PM
have you touch anything on the amp?

yo0123yo
03-06-2009, 11:43 PM
nope all the amp settings have remained the same for like a year. could it be anything with the tweeter overs? cuz on songs with not that high of frequencies it wont distort but then on other songs with high frequency they will distort

yo0123yo
03-07-2009, 11:23 AM
any1?

DBfan187
03-07-2009, 11:25 AM
sounds like they need a higher xover point

bass_lover1
03-07-2009, 01:31 PM
Are they metal domes? I've seen a few metal dome tweets crack over time, after that they really start to sound very harsh.

yo0123yo
03-07-2009, 02:44 PM
sounds like they need a higher xover point

k and where should i change the xover from? the amp or the HU? i got the ks13 kicker tweeters

bigbangtheory
03-07-2009, 02:55 PM
Where are you speaker crossovers at...........assuming you are still passive.

yo0123yo
03-07-2009, 03:15 PM
Where are you speaker crossovers at...........assuming you are still passive.

k how do i check where the speaker crossovers are at? is this on the amp or on the x-overs that came with the tweets i did not do my own setup i had a shop do it for me

shakinghorizons
03-07-2009, 03:21 PM
Double check for pinch points there may be some insulation over the months that has rubbed off and may arc to chasiss another lead of the speaker wire, thus at loud volumes with more voltage running in the wire the arc can reach farther. :crap:

yo0123yo
03-07-2009, 03:28 PM
k ill check the tweeter wiring

shakinghorizons
03-07-2009, 03:31 PM
k ill check the tweeter wiring

Correct me if i'm wrong but It could be any of the speaker wires even a mid if it is pinched, it could send back a strange signal to the amp causing it to distort the highs.

yo0123yo
03-07-2009, 04:00 PM
well i just found somethikn out... i took my door apart and found that when i move the neg and pos wires around that connect to the tweeter it cuts in and out so im pretty sure its not blown since its cutting in and out when i move the wires around

bass_lover1
03-07-2009, 05:38 PM
Double check for pinch points there may be some insulation over the months that has rubbed off and may arc to chasiss another lead of the speaker wire, thus at loud volumes with more voltage running in the wire the arc can reach farther. :crap:

Ummm, how would it only short out at loud volumes? If there is this pinch, and the wire is touching the chassis there would be a dead short and it wouldn't work, period, and you'd probably have melted speaker wire somewhere.

ThatChevyGuy
03-07-2009, 05:41 PM
Maybe its your ears?

Sometime when the tweets are extremely harsh (LOUD) it sounds distorted because it ****s your ears up.

Could need replaced though.

Moe Lester
03-07-2009, 05:47 PM
Ummm, how would it only short out at loud volumes? If there is this pinch, and the wire is touching the chassis there would be a dead short and it wouldn't work, period, and you'd probably have melted speaker wire somewhere.

The wire may not be touching the chassis, but only a thousandth of an inch away. When the volume is up and enough voltage is going through that wire, it may be able to arc from the wire to the frame. Think of it like a spark plug, only a much shorter jump and a much much lower voltage. I believe that is what he was saying.

Since you say moving a wire causes the tweeter to cut in and out, i would imagine you have found the source or at least part of your issue. tighten up all your connections and see if that fixes the issue.

bass_lover1
03-07-2009, 06:07 PM
The wire may not be touching the chassis, but only a thousandth of an inch away. When the volume is up and enough voltage is going through that wire, it may be able to arc from the wire to the frame. Think of it like a spark plug, only a much shorter jump and a much much lower voltage. I believe that is what he was saying.

Since you say moving a wire causes the tweeter to cut in and out, i would imagine you have found the source or at least part of your issue. tighten up all your connections and see if that fixes the issue.

And also highly unlikely. Do you understand that type of voltage a spark plug operates at for it to arc like it does? anywhere from 40k-100k volts, very far beyond what you will ever see in car audio.

It's not going to arc, at all. If there is a pinch, it's either a dead short or an open circuit, both would be present at all times, not just when the volume is up.

shakinghorizons
03-07-2009, 06:16 PM
And also highly unlikely. Do you understand that type of voltage a spark plug operates at for it to arc like it does? anywhere from 40k-100k volts, very far beyond what you will ever see in car audio.

It's not going to arc, at all. If there is a pinch, it's either a dead short or an open circuit, both would be present at all times, not just when the volume is up.

FAIL.
Yes it can arc. Higher the voltage, farther an arc can travel. Higher your volume higher the voltage. And it does not mean "dead short", usually your wire wont weld to the chassis, it will just arc over a tiny area of air and find its path to least resistance back to the source (negative on the amp/battery)

bass_lover1
03-07-2009, 06:29 PM
;'

yo0123yo
03-07-2009, 06:37 PM
k well i thought i fixed it by tightening up all the connections its still distorting but not as bad as it was before i tightened up all of my tweeter wires wow this is real frustrating

Moe Lester
03-07-2009, 06:38 PM
k well i thought i fixed it by tightening up all the connections its still distorting but not as bad as it was before i tightened up all of my tweeter wires wow this is real frustrating

check the midbass wiring as well. look behind the radio too. tape off anything that isnt being used.

;'

i saw the ninja edit :D

yo0123yo
03-07-2009, 07:47 PM
k im gonna save me all the hassle and bring it to the shop where i had it put it i set up an appointment for Monday

yo0123yo
03-08-2009, 05:24 AM
lmao, i just disconnected my tweets, put in new alpine tweeters with their x-overs and now my interior alpine door speakers are doing the same thing my tweeters were doing (cutting out and in/sounding distorted)....it sounds like the sound you get when you fidget around with the pos/neg leads for your interiors..wtf is the problem here this is so **** annoying

yo0123yo
03-08-2009, 05:49 AM
and its not even a distorted sound, it just sounds like it but its the speakers cutting in and out which makes it sound pretty distorted.just noticed this after a closer look and replacing tweets..can it be the HU going bad? i gotta avh-p5700d

yo0123yo
03-08-2009, 03:18 PM
yea its happening with all my speakers now so i guess i gotta check out the main source which is the head unit right? still haven't looked at the back of that.

yo0123yo
03-09-2009, 09:09 PM
the shop i took it to said they replaced the rca's and the noise is still doing it but not as bad, they said it could be the head unit thats the problem.