PDA

View Full Version : what is the best speakers out there ?

tritonstudio
08-29-2003, 10:07 PM
Hi,

Anyone could help me w/ this stuffs.
I am going to install Alpine cda-9815 for my Prelude98 very soon since I just ordered it. Now I'm also thinking of upgrade the sound system by replace the stock speakers with other best speakers on the market today.

What name brand/model would you recomend to replace the 2 door twisters on the prelude ? ( How is the Infinity Kappa, Boston Acoustic, & the Quartz ?) . To me, it has to produce crystall clear for the treble sound

What would be the best model/name for the 2 doors woofers & the rears ? I think it is 6.5" size speakers. I would go with the warm deep bass models.

Thankyou in advance for any feedback

nswartley
08-29-2003, 11:14 PM
so no price limit? there are a ton of options out there...

-nate

Bavarian3
08-30-2003, 04:09 AM
lol. RAINBOWS. what are the top of the lines like 6g's? (no sarcasm)

But some of the best for an affordable price would be focal utopia or CDT eurosports. Utopias can be had for under 500. Eurosports i think theyrs like 700 or something

MTX BUMPA
10-17-2003, 03:01 AM
focals all the way

bumpin_blazer
10-17-2003, 03:34 AM
personally, the rainbow reference line is overpriced by about 4g's. secondly, your not putting in dynaudio, morel, Lotus, Scan-speak, Audax, and that is stuff that excel in both mids and tweets. now if you want my personal thoughts on the best comp set you could run up front, i'd run Seas Lotus 7" midbass, Morel hybrid 4" midranges, and probably some Scan- Speak revo tweeters, or Morel supremo tweeters. not a bad setup it'll cost you only a tiny 300 per midbass, 150 or so per midrange and then 400 or so for the set of tweeters. so your only looking at about 1300 for your all the speaker's you will need. now an audiocontrol crossover network, run the 9815 in active crossover mode, a solid 4 channel amp that does 100x4 for your midbass and midranges then a little 50-75x2@4ohm amp for your tweets and your golden:D.

adam

Lusso5
10-17-2003, 11:23 AM
...thinking of upgrade the sound system by replace the stock speakers with other best speakers on the market today.

What name brand/model would you recomend to replace the 2 door twisters on the prelude ? ( How is the Infinity Kappa, Boston Acoustic, & the Quartz ?) . To me, it has to produce crystall clear for the treble sound

What would be the best model/name for the 2 doors woofers & the rears ? I think it is 6.5" size speakers. I would go with the warm deep bass models.

What is usually regarded as the best set of components will likely cost more than your 1998 Prelude is worth. The brands you list above dont come close to the "best" but they are also a fraction of the cost. But from those - the Boston Z and Quart Premium are a head above the Kappas - more pricey too.

You also don't mention buying an amp, but just "replacing the speakers". Most high-end drivers are very efficient, but with that said, you really need the balls (high-current power) to get what they're worth out of them. I would not recommend buying a good set of drivers and running them off the deck. Wait till you can afford a decent amp. If you just want to replace your speakers, and never intend on buying an amp, then buy Infinity Reference coax.

But if it is high-end you're after, and a name you would like to tell people you have in your car - You can buy my 6.5" McIntosh components I just put up for sale - see classifieds.

bumpin_blazer
10-17-2003, 02:17 PM
What is usually regarded as the best set of components will likely cost more than your 1998 Prelude is worth. The brands you list above dont come close to the "best" but they are also a fraction of the cost. But from those - the Boston Z and Quart Premium are a head above the Kappas - more pricey too.

You also don't mention buying an amp, but just "replacing the speakers". Most high-end drivers are very efficient, but with that said, you really need the balls (high-current power) to get what they're worth out of them. I would not recommend buying a good set of drivers and running them off the deck. Wait till you can afford a decent amp. If you just want to replace your speakers, and never intend on buying an amp, then buy Infinity Reference coax.

But if it is high-end you're after, and a name you would like to tell people you have in your car - You can buy my 6.5" McIntosh components I just put up for sale - see classifieds.

a good post with a purpose of selling your stuff. what part of Tx you from man??

adam

Lusso5
10-17-2003, 03:11 PM
a good post with a purpose of selling your stuff. what part of Tx you from man??
adam

I actually went back and added (edited) that as an afterthought.

I work in Austin, and live just southwest of town, in the hill country.

bumpin_blazer
10-17-2003, 04:08 PM
I actually went back and added (edited) that as an afterthought.

I work in Austin, and live just southwest of town, in the hill country.

awesome deal man. i wonder if you've ever seen my car in austin it's an older green gmc jimmy with all limo tint. if not then you'll see it soon at comps if you go:D.

adam

audiolife
10-18-2003, 05:15 AM
there are alot of bests out there. personally im not a big fan of standard speakers. thing that noone will ever tell you is "it will sound like this in your car" because there will be way tooo many variables. tweak tweak as u might like there isnt a speaker set out there that can put together a sound stage like a horn and i have yet to hear a standard speaker reproduce FAITHFULLY the music its playing. im gonna leave out names so i dont get reamed for thiis but i listened to alot of "world class" cars in my day and 2 noteables that used regular speakers cars missed a good percentage of the music that was being played...and what is worse is i have been told by sq judges that i sould re tune to get the picking sounds of the guitar strings out lol (not an iasca show but this should just show you what people in the bizz try to push). now im not telling you "you'll love horns" and im not saying regular speakers ****. thing is its a subjective Q. best thing to do is listen to VERY familiar music on these set up (demo) find out as much about your car (from competetors or installers) and go from there. high fedelity actually means reproducing what its playing to as exact as possible not colorizing it to your taste....but if thats what you are after either way u must research YOUR taste.

holycrap
10-18-2003, 05:18 PM
wowzers, lotsa austin folk