PDA

View Full Version : New Speakers for 2009 Accord

clone
03-05-2009, 01:49 PM
So I need to replace the wonderful factory setup in my 09 accord and my research right now is aimed at the speakers. Specifically, the rear deck and the doors. I want to put coaxials in the rear and components in the doors as the tweeter is located in the door pillar.

Anyway, I've had JLs for years but just have lost track of what's new out there and possibly better. I'm not looking to set the world on fire or anything..just a good speaker for my setup. I was looking at the C2 line that is just coming out...evidently they have a component 6 1/2 that also will be out.

What I want:
Very good sound quality (accurate, etc.)
Good bass response (solid)
Flat response
Just a very good speaker....for the price

I'm probably looking at something at or under $200 street for the rear pair and something in the $200 give or take (street price) for the doors.

I'm going with a Pio Premier head (looking at 610 but not sure when that comes out).

Anyway, so far I've just looked at the VR and new C2 series from JL....so I'm looking for suggestions on other speakers that would be as good or better SQ, as good or better bass response, etc. in the price range above.

And most importantly...that would fit the rear deck and (for the component speakers) doors of the 09 accord.

Thanks for any suggestions

macq32
03-06-2009, 12:04 AM
In my opinion, and many others might agree. Ditch the rear speakers, and bump yourself up to a $400 budget on a set of components for the front. Look at Morels, Image Dynamics, and Focal to name a few. I personally like my Morels and would really like to get my hands on a nicer set of those (although my tempos are awesome).

Hertz had some buzz about them too, but I've also seen plenty of threads were people weren't satisfied, dont know if it was a install issue or if the driver wasnt all it was cracked up to be, just what I noticed around the forum.

Really though, ditch the rears. I'm guessing your doors are 6.5's, but I'm not positive on it. I'm sure you would be more than happy with some Tempo's. check out http://www.woofersetc.com/

clone
03-06-2009, 10:34 AM
The doors are Japanese 6.5...which means they're probably less than 6.5 but I'm not completely sure.

On the rear deck...I've mulled that one over too. I first heard that suggestion quite a long time ago and as usual, I ignored it. But given the fact that all I really ever hear out of the back speakers is mid-range, I'm taking this one a little more seriously.

Would it make the most sense to put in a higher grade 6.5 component (or whatever size that fits) in the doors and then put a sub in the trunk, leaving the current rear speakers intact and unhooked? I could use a four channel amp and bridge the rear channel to run the sub right? The only other question on that setup would be, do I need to remove one of the rear speakers (the cheapo sub maybe) from the deck to allow the new sub to radiate into the cabin better or is that step not needed (there are two rears and a "sub" in the rear deck).

I've always like the rear fill, as I've never been quite comfortable with just the fronts...but with the sub in the trunk, maybe that fills the sound out just right...

Thanks for the comments...the focals have definitely caught my eye. How are their subs? I'm most likely looking at an full enclosure versus going too crazy with that.

macq32
03-06-2009, 12:08 PM
you are correct, with a sub in the back, really you're not going to hear much of the rears anyways. On the door size, MOST 6.5 speakers come with mounting rings that will work on 6.25". In my opinion it would definitely make more sense to invest more money up front, thats really what you're going to hear, especially with a sub. You could bridge a 4 channel to your sub with the 2 other channels for the front components. Personally I would look at a PG xenon 200.4, I'm using one now, they will give you about 240watts per channel, my morels take it like a champ, and it would give you nearly 500watts for the sub. All that for $230-300 is a pretty good deal IMO. But you have a number of options.

Before I had my sub I couldn't imagine just fronts either, but its a different game with a sub in the back. I've never heard focal subs, but I'm sure they are nice. What's your budget on the sub and what are you looking to get out of it.