PDA

View Full Version : 2 12" IDQs - keep undersized ported box or go sealed?

PuZo
03-05-2009, 12:55 PM
Long story short, i built a ported box for my idqs but it wouldnt fit in my trunk, so i just got the biggest ported box that would fit. It sounds good at low volumes but at higher volumes i can tell its not working out. I would guess its around 1.25 cu per driver and like a 48hz port. Should i just go sealed, since it should sound better and the box will be built to specs? Thanks

dman4486
03-05-2009, 12:56 PM
Long story short, i built a ported box for my idqs but it wouldnt fit in my trunk, so i just got the biggest ported box that would fit. It sounds good at low volumes but at higher volumes i can tell its not working out. I would guess its around 1.25 cu per driver and like a 48hz port. Should i just go sealed, since it should sound better and the box will be built to specs? Thanks

what do you mean by "not working out"?

needs to be tuned lower:fyi:

PuZo
03-05-2009, 01:00 PM
I mean at high volumes it sounds like crap, and how would i tune it lower?

dman4486
03-05-2009, 01:02 PM
I mean at high volumes it sounds like crap, and how would i tune it lower?

lengthen the port. You can switch to aeros to save internal displacement.

PuZo
03-05-2009, 01:05 PM
Wont that involve basically opening up the box?

dman4486
03-05-2009, 01:07 PM
Wont that involve basically opening up the box?

yes. you would have to open up the box or just remove the subs to get in there.

a sealed enclosure will loose you a little output, but due to your limited space you may be better off.

was the trunk opening the issue, or the actual trunk space?

PuZo
03-05-2009, 02:14 PM
Its just the opening, would it be feasible to take apart the box so that it would fit, and then put it back together inside the trunk, or should I just go sealed. What size would be good for sealed?