PDA

View Full Version : Box Design Question

oni
03-03-2009, 11:37 PM
So I'm new to the whole box design thing and had a question. What is the drawback (if any) to building a bigger sealed box than recommended for the sub? Is it only bad to go too small, or will a box that's too big hurt the quality of the bass produced as well.

traksta15
03-04-2009, 12:50 AM
If you're running low on power, you can use a bigger box to get more output/lower end.

IDSkoT
03-04-2009, 12:51 AM
So I'm new to the whole box design thing and had a question. What is the drawback (if any) to building a bigger sealed box than recommended for the sub? Is it only bad to go too small, or will a box that's too big hurt the quality of the bass produced as well.

The bigger the box, the less power the sub can take. But, will also take less power to get equally loud.
The smaller the box, the more power the sub can take. And, I believe, the smaller the enclosure, and the more power it gets, I believe it increases teh DBZ. But don't quote me on that.

thegreatestpenn
03-04-2009, 12:51 AM
a box too big will sound "hollow" that's the best way I can describe it. Also the sub can't handle typical power

redodge786
03-04-2009, 01:47 AM
slightly bigger and the sub should hit deeper notes, but go to big and it will sound like ***

godhatescivics
03-04-2009, 01:52 AM
to big and its almost free air ported dont kno about sealed

badvlvo
03-04-2009, 02:32 PM
In a sealed box you can go slightly larger to go lower in the response. Too big in a sealed box and the sub won't have the air pressure suspending it and when you hit it's optimum frequency at high enough volume it will come apart. Too small and it will take a shitload of power to perform less than optimum, too big and it will go lower but will sound like ***.

Usually I run a sealed box as I like the response and I don't need the volume beyond what the sealed will deliver.

oni
03-05-2009, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the info. I should be good. I have a 10" Q with the BP power option. It asks for .2-.6 cubes after displacement and my box is about .85 or so after displacement. I only plan on running about 1000 watts to it for now anyway so it should be fine.