PDA

View Full Version : clamshells?

JEXTEL
03-01-2009, 01:12 AM
when trying to figure out the tuning on them should i count the baffles where the woofers are to calculate the tuning? or do i just make sure there's enough port length already with out factoring in the baffles from the woofers?

jdawg
03-01-2009, 01:15 AM
its like a regular box, count the inside volume plus poart and woofer displacment

JEXTEL
03-01-2009, 01:38 AM
its like a regular box, count the inside volume plus poart and woofer displacment

i got all that i just dont know if you consider the opning where the woofer rest apart of the port or just the actual port on the insde of the box?

galacticmonkey
03-01-2009, 01:51 AM
Look at my old clamshell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvizDaX9e_4

The port is the port. The baffle is the baffle. The baffle, therefore is not the port. Because of this, the baffle should not be counted as the port.

JEXTEL
03-01-2009, 02:03 AM
thats what i was thinking until i saw this one
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh142/Phlex79/P1000152.jpg

if thats the case the above picture box would be tuned ungodly high

the baffles has to play a role in the tunning also.. i need help

Cabin_Pressure
03-01-2009, 02:07 AM
what you don't see in that pic is that there is a length of port running parallel with the back wall for each 3sub chamber.

JEXTEL
03-01-2009, 02:17 AM
what you don't see in that pic is that there is a length of port running parallel with the back wall for each 3sub chamber.

i seee it..its only like 6"

jdawg
03-01-2009, 02:21 AM
wtf is so hard? its a triangle, you add woofer and port displacement. Someone failed geometry in 10th grade.

Cabin_Pressure
03-01-2009, 02:23 AM
i seee it..its only like 6"

Do you see where it makes a 90 and runs parallel with the back wall? No, because the angle of the pic doesn't show it. More than likely it continues for a length after the 6 inches you are seeing.

thorshammer1
03-01-2009, 10:45 AM
I've always liked an idea of a clamshell in the GP. Maybe 8 10's and 4 5k's? LOL

Jextell rebuilding? Sounds like a good idea! Good luck man!

JEXTEL
03-01-2009, 10:45 AM
Do you see where it makes a 90 and runs parallel with the back wall? No, because the angle of the pic doesn't show it. More than likely it continues for a length after the 6 inches you are seeing.

it doesnt follow the back of the wall
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh142/Phlex79/baffled.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh142/Phlex79/forntofit.jpg

Cabin_Pressure
03-01-2009, 10:52 AM
Thats gonna be tuned pretty high then. I still agree with gmonk, the baffle shouldn't be considered port area. Looks more like a tone box than a music set-up too.

JEXTEL
03-01-2009, 10:53 AM
I've always liked an idea of a clamshell in the GP. Maybe 8 10's and 4 5k's? LOL

Jextell rebuilding? Sounds like a good idea! Good luck man!

im just tryin to keep my options open..i was going to try a sealed one but i rather have ported..

JEXTEL
03-01-2009, 11:15 AM
Thats gonna be tuned pretty high then. I still agree with gmonk, the baffle shouldn't be considered port area. Looks more like a tone box than a music set-up too.

he plays the lows like no other..white girl, chopped and screwed..tons of air is being moved..

thats the setup thats been confusing me with this design..

schrummy
03-01-2009, 11:21 AM
how many cubic ft is the box? that still plays a role in the final tunning...

tommyk90
03-01-2009, 11:25 AM
Don't look at just the port length as the only tuning factor.

His enclosure is fairly large and therefore he doesn't need a lot of length to bring the tuning down.

Don't calculate the baffles as part of the port length. Period.

PioneerSPL1990
03-01-2009, 11:31 AM

The port is the port. The baffle is the baffle. The baffle, therefore is not the port. Because of this, the baffle should not be counted as the port.

i didn't realize that was your's mabe i should have picked up on the name similarities.

favorited that video ages ago for the flex.

Goldtaz1
03-02-2009, 01:14 PM

His enclosure is fairly large and therefore he doesn't need a lot of length to bring the tuning down.

x2. If you go with a large enclosure, but you do not use a significant amount of square inches per cube then the port length will not be long at all to get a low tuning frequency. Although I may get chastised for using the name, Steve Meade's box is a good example. He doesn't use alot of port area on his box and it's 20 cubes. Therefore the port is not very long. I always wondered how he could have the port so close to the woofers without hitting the basket until I saw how much port area he was using. It all made sense after that.

JEXTEL
03-02-2009, 03:37 PM

oo ok..but do you think the baffles has a role in the sound on how flat or steep they are?

x2. If you go with a large enclosure, but you do not use a significant amount of square inches per cube then the port length will not be long at all to get a low tuning frequency. Although I may get chastised for using the name, Steve Meade's box is a good example. He doesn't use alot of port area on his box and it's 20 cubes. Therefore the port is not very long. I always wondered how he could have the port so close to the woofers without hitting the basket until I saw how much port area he was using. It all made sense after that.

gotcha..never really thought about using a small port because i was going to use HDC3's but ill stick with Fi...for now

Goldtaz1
03-02-2009, 07:24 PM
gotcha..never really thought about using a small port because i was going to use HDC3's but ill stick with Fi...for now

I wasn't really advocating the use of small ports, I was just trying to explain the same thing as Tommy. Basically port length is a function of overall net enclosure volume, port area used, and desired tuning frequency. Steve Meade uses an abnormally small box and a small amount of port area so he can drop a Rockford 4000d on each sub. If he didn't design his box that way those woofers would pretty much fly right out of the box. He is using pressure inside the box to help keep the woofer in check.

R/T Pimp
03-02-2009, 08:18 PM
I wasn't really advocating the use of small ports, I was just trying to explain the same thing as Tommy. Basically port length is a function of overall net enclosure volume, port area used, and desired tuning frequency. Steve Meade uses an abnormally small box and a small amount of port area so he can drop a Rockford 4000d on each sub. If he didn't design his box that way those woofers would pretty much fly right out of the box. He is using pressure inside the box to help keep the woofer in check.

Those BTLs are not holding the power.

R/T Pimp
03-02-2009, 08:23 PM
JEXTEL you are going at this to hard. What are you trying to achieve exaclty, what vehicle, what subs, what sort of music do you listen too, is this for the street or spl? How much power.

Yes the clamshell itself does effect the tuning but it depends what you are trying to achieve if you take it into consideration.

R/T Pimp
03-02-2009, 08:24 PM
Just pm me and I will have you call me maybe I can help.

IDSkoT
03-02-2009, 08:35 PM

You remind me of Yogi Bear...
Think about it.

But, that's an impressive video. Completely useless, IMO. Music can't be enjoyable at that level. But, I'm not an SPL junkie.

Cravingbass123
03-02-2009, 08:37 PM
You remind me of Yogi Bear...
Think about it.

But, that's an impressive video. Completely useless, IMO. Music can't be enjoyable at that level. But, I'm not an SPL junkie.

it is enjoyable at that level yo.

you just can't get loud with that boss amp, so u hate yo!

JEXTEL
03-02-2009, 11:06 PM

i understand that completely and i also know that Fi subs does well with "small" amounts of port area..its just if i use the AQ's 16 sqin is for best results saids dj

JEXTEL you are going at this to hard. What are you trying to achieve exaclty, what vehicle, what subs, what sort of music do you listen too, is this for the street or spl? How much power.

Yes the clamshell itself does effect the tuning but it depends what you are trying to achieve if you take it into consideration.

1997 nissan maxima, rap music, most likely Fi BTL's(stock form), street/bassrace and 3 gp3000ds on 16v so aprox. 15kws rms

long as the car plays the lows well im happy..oo and im shooting for a 155 dB bassrace run...

Goldtaz1
03-03-2009, 02:32 PM
Those BTLs are not holding the power.

My statement did not indicate at all that the BTL's are holding up, just the fact that they would last an even shorter amount of time if he had a larger box with more port area per cubic feet of enclosure volume. Hence the reason he has contracted with Ascendant for the Steve Meade woofer capable of handling 3500 watts RMS...We shall see how that works out though.