PDA

View Full Version : definately think i messed up my port area

GiganticPrune
02-28-2009, 05:50 PM
so i built a new box for my new RE sx 12's, (2 of em)..and the output is super disappointing.

then i get to thinking about when i designed the box using re's calculator..i just put in a couple numbers with the vent to get to 35hz @ 3 ft..

just put it through a calculator and i only have 42 sq in of port...what do i really need?

mazdakid
02-28-2009, 06:00 PM
that should be enough port area for that size box.

Etac
02-28-2009, 06:00 PM
sure they arent out of phase?

DBBOOM
02-28-2009, 06:03 PM
Area should work(i like a little larger), what length port do you have?

Etac
02-28-2009, 06:04 PM
and wired correctly

GiganticPrune
03-01-2009, 12:44 PM
Area should work(i like a little larger), what length port do you have?

uhm. hmm i dont have the plans laying around.. but i think the first cut was 14 inches and the second was 8 inches. i dunno.

i also think i may have cheated the subs a little on airspace. i think thats also a huge problem. i may sell them and just get a single 12 inch omega or btl

JG903
03-01-2009, 12:48 PM
When I had my 2 12" SX, I had them in 4 cubes net with 50 sq. inches of port and they sounded fine.

hatemonger
03-01-2009, 01:22 PM
3 cubes isn't enough to start with, but you should still get some output. you'll likely lose some low end being that small. it probably sounds better playing heavy metal than hip hop.

GiganticPrune
03-01-2009, 02:39 PM
3 cubes isn't enough to start with, but you should still get some output. you'll likely lose some low end being that small. it probably sounds better playing heavy metal than hip hop.

no it really isnt enough. my 2 mach 5 10's in a 1.6 ft box were louder and went lower. i do listen to mostly metal, but im just not getting that flatout spl that i was hoping for when the double bass drums kick in.

imma just build another box and squeeze out every square inch of my trunk. but anything larger than 3ft after displacement is tough for me.

hatemonger
03-01-2009, 02:47 PM
no it really isnt enough. my 2 mach 5 10's in a 1.6 ft box were louder and went lower. i do listen to mostly metal, but im just not getting that flatout spl that i was hoping for when the double bass drums kick in.

imma just build another box and squeeze out every square inch of my trunk. but anything larger than 3ft after displacement is tough for me.

if you can't get to close to 4 cubes, i'd recommend either porting 1 or getting a single 12 that will handle more wattage, and porting that. or a single 15 in 3 cubes sealed.

GiganticPrune
03-01-2009, 03:03 PM
if you can't get to close to 4 cubes, i'd recommend either porting 1 or getting a single 12 that will handle more wattage, and porting that. or a single 15 in 3 cubes sealed.

theres no way i can get close to 4 cubes. i fudgin wish i could get a single UL12, but my amp is only 2 ohm stable. and im pretty sure they only make those subs in dual 1.5 ohm coils. id sell my amp to buy a crunch 3000, but no one is willing to buy stuff right now

hatemonger
03-01-2009, 03:04 PM
theres no way i can get close to 4 cubes. i fudgin wish i could get a single UL12, but my amp is only 2 ohm stable. and im pretty sure they only make those subs in dual 1.5 ohm coils. id sell my amp to buy a crunch 3000, but no one is willing to buy stuff right now

you might be able to using aero ports.

GiganticPrune
03-01-2009, 03:11 PM
when i tried calculating the port length, it came out as crazy long to get the tuning right. maybe i effed up?

hatemonger
03-01-2009, 03:14 PM
when i tried calculating the port length, it came out as crazy long to get the tuning right. maybe i effed up?

no. you're probably right. they would be rather long.

KHARPS
03-01-2009, 03:17 PM
I still think you should go with a single 12''. Sell those SXs and get a higher power handling 12'' like a lv4xl, btl, omega, something like that.

skittlesRgood
03-01-2009, 03:19 PM
should have thought about the space you had B4 you got the subs. but we all make mistakes. what would you sell everything for?

i dont know what to small of a box does, never done it, but i have my sx's in 5cuft and they freaking kill. im uploading videos now, if you want to see them pm me. check your gains and everything b4 you spend more money. might be an easy fix.

GiganticPrune
03-01-2009, 03:34 PM
eh my gains arent the problem, i just thought the subs would have done better in their "compact" reccomendation. and im surprised certain people arent doing the "i told you so" thing, but you live and learn.

imma look into building a new box first, but if i were to sell em id sell for about what i paid.

175 shipped for each. one has a brand new recone on it, so its still really stiff.

ill make a FS thread when that day comes, but ill take a pm if anyone is interested