PDA

View Full Version : My Small review on Morel Tempo 6

qkassidyw
02-27-2009, 11:01 PM
Let me preface this with I never buy components before I hear them, but I did and bought the Morel Tempo 6īs.

I have a 2008 STI, I mounted the tweets up in the door triangles where the factory ones go and made MDF rings for the mids in the doors. I set the tweeters to 0 db (0 or 3db are your options) on the crossover.

I put 3-4 layers of dynamat on the inner skin along with 2 layers of ensolite. I put two layers of dynamat and 1 layer of ensolite on the outer skin of the door.

I have a Alpine ida-x100 running signal to a rainbow iPaul 2.400 that is getting power from a 1/0 cable split down to 4 gauge through a distro.

The midbass in these things are amazing, almost sounds like a nice ten and even the midrange vocals are very accurately played.

The tweets...oh the tweets. Does anyone like knives jabbed into their ears? If you do then come join me in my car with the Tempo 6īs because you will be bleeding from the ears after one song. The highs are SO high and SO piercing, that your ears are tired after one song, I canīt listen to my favorite music because it hurts so much.

I have tried adjusting the settings on my deck/amp (although limited) and still nothing better. I basically have to drive around with quiet music or the treble down to -7.

So, if anyone has some extra crossovers with an adjustable tweet level that can go down to about -10db then I will buy them from you.

And apparently you either need new crossovers or have to go active to run these components.

SO thank you caraudio.com because I trusted all your opinions and now my car has blood from my ears all over it....

mcsoul
02-27-2009, 11:08 PM
sweet, I bought morel mids and seas tweeters ftw

AznrMix88
02-28-2009, 02:17 AM
Funny, mine aren't harsh AT ALL and neither are my friends... How are your settings on the HU etc?

bigbangtheory
02-28-2009, 10:59 AM
What is harsh to him, might not be to you.

I would invest in some different tweets if I was you.

macq32
02-28-2009, 12:45 PM
I would definitely agree that they are a little harsh. It hurt when I finally got my Mag in the other day and tried to get my comps to keep up with it, its reasonable now after a few adjustments. I think I'm probably just going to give the mid woofers their own channel on my amp and then tune down the gain on my crossover/tweets.

qkassidyw
02-28-2009, 12:51 PM
What is harsh to him, might not be to you.

I would invest in some different tweets if I was you.

Yeah, I have always been critical of tweets and thats why I never bought comps without hearing them but oh well lesson learned.

I have a set of Type-R crossovers that I can adjust the tweet down to -8 dB...sweet!

If that doesnt work then on to a different set I guess...

SQPL
02-28-2009, 03:58 PM
why don't you return or exchange them? if you want not that harsh tweets for the same price try the Hertz HSK165. I know this since I auditioned both last month.

Macklessdaddy
02-28-2009, 04:27 PM
I don't think xovers are interchangeable like that,they are made for a specific set,I'm sure some numbers have to match up to use em in another set.

DEdwards
02-28-2009, 05:51 PM
I don't think xovers are interchangeable like that,they are made for a specific set,I'm sure some numbers have to match up to use em in another set.

Not true.....that is like saying Morels' 4500Hz crossover point is differant than another manufactorers' 4500Hz.....

Macklessdaddy
02-28-2009, 06:25 PM
Not true.....that is like saying Morels' 4500Hz crossover point is differant than another manufactorers' 4500Hz.....

Didn't know that,i didn't think it was so simple.I'm sure something is different ****it:D

DEdwards
02-28-2009, 06:35 PM
maybe slopes?

James Bang
02-28-2009, 08:38 PM
maybe slopes?

slopes makes a world of a difference. I wonder if the OP tried the -3 db jumper on his xover...

I also found it interesting how he said his mids sound like 10"s...

viscid240
02-28-2009, 08:47 PM
slopes makes a world of a difference. I wonder if the OP tried the -3 db jumper on his xover...

I also found it interesting how he said his mids sound like 10"s...

Well they do have good midbass, not 10" sub bass. Hence midbass, lol. These can be tamed but it's all a matter of his patience.

James Bang
02-28-2009, 09:02 PM
Well they do have good midbass, not 10" sub bass. Hence midbass, lol. These can be tamed but it's all a matter of his patience.

i know what he meant. i know what 10" midbass sounds like.

qkassidyw
03-01-2009, 04:07 AM
I know what a ten sounds like and what I meant was these mid drivers sound very good and fill the enitre car with good midbass, but midbass that sounds lower than regular comps/midranges I have heard.

And all crossovers are interchangeable as long as they all use 4 Ohm Mids and 4 Ohm Tweets (which is ever set of crossovers I have ever seen). All the crossover sees is a resistance and that determines the crossover point.

If I tried to interchange a set that was designed for 2 Ohm speakers then it would all be screwed up but with almost every set I am fine.

And to James bang....the morel's only have 0 dB and +3db, so Im SOL with -3dB. But I swapped in some spare Type-R crossovers I had and its much better but still not great.

buggsson
03-01-2009, 06:09 AM
Could it have anything to do with the install? I was thinking in ways like on/off axis and the like, that is, the directions they are pointing towards the listener?

Moe Lester
03-01-2009, 06:35 AM
And all crossovers are interchangeable as long as they all use 4 Ohm Mids and 4 Ohm Tweets (which is ever set of crossovers I have ever seen). All the crossover sees is a resistance and that determines the crossover point.

I wouldn't say that they are interchangeable. I dont know the crossover points or slopes on the type R or the Morels, but just as an example, if the Morel standard crossover point is around 4.5khz at 12db and the Type R crossover point is set to 2.5khz at 12db then you still risk damaging the morel tweeter even though the crossover points are not changing due to the ohm load.

qkassidyw
03-01-2009, 06:51 PM
^^^You are correct, but when I changed out the crossovers I couldn't hear a difference as far as if the tweet was getting any extra or less and same with the mid.

Someone else mentioned the axis, I had them both pointed towards the driver in the door sill and I switched the polarity of the drivers this morning and it made a big difference.

But, I still am not impressed with the actual sound of them. i have installed many components in my life so I know how to make them sound good but I have never had this much trouble trying to do it...