PDA

View Full Version : Best Minimalist Head Unit / CD Player?

dogsbody
02-27-2009, 06:02 PM
Hi all,

I've been slogging through reviews and sites looking for a new head unit for my old 4runner (which is getting a new everything audio-wise) without any luck. Everything either doesn't have what i'm looking for, or has way too much in the bluetooth-ipod-controlling-usb-powered-gizmo-department. I was hoping someone who thinks similarly would recommend something they use and like, that meets these general sort of requirements:

- CD player, and aux line in. Have a Creative Zen for an output source.
- Decent wattage, would (hopefully, see if it's possible) like to power front/rear speakers without an amp, and stick to just an amp for subs.
- Good SQL
- Good EQ adjustability. Love tweaking with those.
- A remote would be convenient.
- Nothing else! Don't need a bunch of extra crap in a deck, just powerful, good sounding and well made.

Does something like this still exist? Thanks in advance for anyone who has advice, or even points me to some links I can read through that've been more helpful than what I've found so far.

BASSINMYSUBS
02-27-2009, 06:06 PM
Hi all,

I've been slogging through reviews and sites looking for a new head unit for my old 4runner (which is getting a new everything audio-wise) without any luck. Everything either doesn't have what i'm looking for, or has way too much in the bluetooth-ipod-controlling-usb-powered-gizmo-department. I was hoping someone who thinks similarly would recommend something they use and like, that meets these general sort of requirements:

- CD player, and aux line in. Have a Creative Zen for an output source.
- Decent wattage, would (hopefully, see if it's possible) like to power front/rear speakers without an amp, and stick to just an amp for subs.
- Good SQL
- Good EQ adjustability. Love tweaking with those.
- A remote would be convenient.
- Nothing else! Don't need a bunch of extra crap in a deck, just powerful, good sounding and well made.

Does something like this still exist? Thanks in advance for anyone who has advice, or even points me to some links I can read through that've been more helpful than what I've found so far.

pioneer hu are pretty nice.. also the sonys. for the price they are nice or maybe even panasonic

Rich B
02-27-2009, 06:07 PM
The best minimalist HU's are very expensive (and dont have EQ's), but a midline Alpine, Pioneer, or Excelon would probably do what you want without costing a small fortune.

DEdwards
02-27-2009, 06:11 PM
Denon,Pioneer Premier, McIntosh,etc...

IDSkoT
02-27-2009, 06:14 PM
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=7518

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=6264

dogsbody
02-27-2009, 06:26 PM
Wow, thanks for the fast replies everyone. Probably should have noted above, my target price is somewhere around $100-$300. Did anyone have any more specific models from the above brands they were thinking of? I like the look of the Pioneer DEH-P3100UB so far... Thanks again.

eharri3
02-27-2009, 06:44 PM
The potential of the internal amplifier is limited due to space considerations. You will be looking at 15 or 16 watts at one extreme and maybe 26 at the other. In the real world you will probably never hear a difference.

5dollapizza
02-27-2009, 09:37 PM
does it have to be new? i've got an old eclipse cd3422 that meets all those requirements the i'll sell for way less than your target price.

forbidden
02-27-2009, 09:39 PM
Eclipse CD3200. While it may have some features that you may not use (bluetooth for example), just don't use them.

brandontw
03-01-2009, 02:36 PM
No one mentioned nakamichi yet? You'd probly have to go used, but its worth looking at

terra
03-01-2009, 02:39 PM
Where are you in seattle?

dogsbody
03-01-2009, 04:48 PM
After looking around some more, guess I'm might not stick to the 'minimalist' idea, since there doesn't seem to be a ton of options there. The Nakamichis are pretty close to what I was thinking of, but they're a little more expensive than I was shooting for. Leaning towards the Pioneer DEH-P600UB (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/Source/CD-Players/Premier/DEH-P600UB?tab=B) right now, read some favorable reviews, and I like the 7-band EQ.
Terra - I live near Capitol Hill area. Checked your site out, do you have a shop somewhere I could cruise by and check out, or do you just sell off the site?

hornedfrog1985
03-01-2009, 06:03 PM
I just bought this deck DXZ785USB at newegg.com for 140$. I don't think it can beat for the money honestly. I've been looking for a while now.

http://www.clarion.com/us/en/products/2008/audio/source_units/cd/DXZ785USB/us-en-product-pf_1172385078991.html

It only has a 3 band EQ, but I think the 24 bit DAC, and 6 volt rcas are a nice touch. For the money I don't think you can get anything like this for another $60.00 more.

terra
03-04-2009, 04:13 PM
After looking around some more, guess I'm might not stick to the 'minimalist' idea, since there doesn't seem to be a ton of options there. The Nakamichis are pretty close to what I was thinking of, but they're a little more expensive than I was shooting for. Leaning towards the Pioneer DEH-P600UB (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/Source/CD-Players/Premier/DEH-P600UB?tab=B) right now, read some favorable reviews, and I like the 7-band EQ.
Terra - I live near Capitol Hill area. Checked your site out, do you have a shop somewhere I could cruise by and check out, or do you just sell off the site?

No shop. I live in Magnolia though.