PDA

View Full Version : n00b question about etching words and designs in fabric

LiquidClen
02-27-2009, 03:15 PM
I was wondering how you guys have raised lettering underneath carpet when you finish carpeting your boxes? I don't know if there is a name in particular for this, so I couldn't find anything when I searched. If you don't know what I mean, take a look at the 5 series bmw in the build log section by 80inches.

yota.coma
02-27-2009, 07:23 PM
Just foam pices under the material I believe. Bump for some other responces cause id like to know the best way to do that

wasted ink
02-27-2009, 07:51 PM
You can use 1/4" MDF, I find that works best. Some people use leftover deadener, or foam, but I find it to be a pain when working with thin details.

LiquidClen
02-27-2009, 11:38 PM
You can use 1/4" MDF, I find that works best. Some people use leftover deadener, or foam, but I find it to be a pain when working with thin details.

do you just use wood glue to secure the mdf to the box?

JBLCAMRY
02-27-2009, 11:40 PM
i use 1/4" mdf, attached with glue , and sometimes brads.

IDSkoT
02-27-2009, 11:45 PM
do you just use wood glue to secure the mdf to the box?

Wood glue, nails, screws, whatever you feel like doing. The rough part is trying to get the carpet to look good. People's advice is just to take your time, and if you get frustrated, take a deep breath and relax. Maybe take a break and try it again.

JBLCAMRY
02-27-2009, 11:46 PM
Wood glue, nails, screws, whatever you feel like doing. The rough part is trying to get the carpet to look good. People's advice is just to take your time, and if you get frustrated, take a deep breath and relax. Maybe take a break and try it again.

yep, just do little parts of the design and work the carpet one way.

just takes time.