PDA

View Full Version : Port experts LOOK!

Dbking
08-26-2003, 10:40 PM
Im building a box for a kicker L7 12" d4 tuned to 40 hertz so it peaks @ 47 hertz my resonance frequency heres the specs

box net volume 3557.7 cubic INCHES
vent length 35in
vent cross sectional area 50.265 square in.
I used the jl audio formula and it came up with 40 hertz

box dimensions
height 14.25in
width 35in
depth 14.25in

vent dimensions
12.75 x 3.942

are these calculations right??

here is the box design my main question is if this box design will work and be effecient while folowing the ported box guidlines

I NEED HELP ASAP SO I CAN GET MY BOX BUILT THX FOR THE HELP!!

Trixter
08-28-2003, 11:30 AM
Everything looks like it will work out fine. Just remember to add the port correction to the end of the port since your using an outside wall. (1/2 the vents width...1.971" in your case.) Also make absolutly certain that the width is exactly 3.942".....j/k, how do you plan to pull that off?? You could make it an even 4" and add 1/2" to the length and be safe.

Dbking
08-28-2003, 03:07 PM
okay thx A bunch fo help me out there but now i dont even know if im gettin the kicker...I just got a job yesterday so now i think im gonna spend mroe and get e12a preferbly or maybe a brahma or some re sub cuz everyone says the kicker sq sux and i need some good soundin stuff

Trixter
08-29-2003, 10:02 AM
From having one, I can say that the Brahma is an awsome sounding sub.

Dbking
08-30-2003, 08:59 PM
after 12 hours of building I finnaly completed the box and didnt even get it nailed well it was my first time even useing a saw and everything turned out good now just 2 problems

...the sub is only gonna have like 2 inches of free space untill the back pole hits the port maybe a lil more is this gonna affect the performance a lot??
...ill prolly figure it out tommorrow but I need a good tip on screwin the boards down lol

Trixter
08-31-2003, 11:57 AM
2" is kinda close. Check the site or e-mail Adire's tech support to see how close it can be...since pole piece is vented you'll want good air flow. As far as screwing the boards together, I use 1 5/8" #10 drywall screws. I got a screw attachment for my drill and just zip them in. Elmers wood glue will also work great, I personally use floor underlayment adhesive...everyone seems to have their own preference on what to use for sealing a box.

Dbking
09-02-2003, 09:54 PM
hey trix I thought of somethin else what if I inverted the sub....since its so close to the port wall. it wouldnt lose any db right then i wouldnt have to worry about the pole bein so close to the wall but thx so much for your help the box is bout done I have to seal it w/ some silicon stuff now and ill b done

Trixter
09-02-2003, 10:09 PM
You could invert it. It wouldn't hurt anything. Your right, it would give you more room.