PDA

View Full Version : The real way to elbow your ports...

IDSkoT
02-24-2009, 08:43 PM
Here's a visual aid for you guys. The elbow part I put down 3.5" (The width of the port) to ease the transition. If you have any questions, ask. The part on the inside of the port is needed for structural integrity. What I would do when cutting the inside port walls, I'd under cut just a bit so there's excess, and sand it all down nice and smooth. The build log will come soon for this box (hopefully.) It's for a member on this forum, he can tune in if he wants.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v714/TwistedShot/Box.jpg

Bass Addict
02-24-2009, 08:48 PM
yes,looks good to me !! looking forward to it

Pop da Hatch
02-24-2009, 08:49 PM
Yeah, seen it done before, certainly arent the first to do this.

IDSkoT
02-24-2009, 08:55 PM
Yeah, seen it done before, certainly arent the first to do this.

Never said I was. I just see a lot of people throwing in a 45 deg elbow and expecting it to come out fine... and some people just need a visual aid to understand how it's supposed to be done.

wasted ink
02-24-2009, 09:06 PM
Hmm. Where did you learn this??

;););)

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb107/s13driftfiend/103_1293.jpg

wasted ink
02-24-2009, 09:08 PM
PM me if you need help figuring out the "impossible corner" :laugh:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb107/s13driftfiend/103_1406.jpg

IDSkoT
02-24-2009, 09:08 PM
Hmm. Where did you learn this??

;););)

Haha! From the master himself!

Do you make the beginning of the outside angle = to the width of the port? I.E. The beginning of the angle starts 3.5" from the back of the port wall. Would that be a good way of rationalizing where to start the angle from?

Rashaddd
02-24-2009, 09:09 PM
I'm going to kerf the elbow on my next box :fyi:

grassroots
02-24-2009, 09:09 PM
Never said I was. I just see a lot of people throwing in a 45 deg elbow and expecting it to come out fine... and some people just need a visual aid to understand how it's supposed to be done.

define "come out fine".... i've never used this method and with the success i have had without it, i don't plan on making more 45s to do it the "real way".

show me proof that it makes one bit of difference in performance and i might care...

Pop da Hatch
02-24-2009, 09:11 PM
yeah it really makes no difference either way.

wasted ink
02-24-2009, 09:12 PM
define "come out fine".... i've never used this method and with the success i have had without it, i don't plan on making more 45s to do it the "real way".

show me proof that it makes one bit of difference in performance and i might care...

Measure corner to corner in the elbow of your port. The measurement will be longer than the width of your port. This will mean your tuning is different, as you will have a different port area than you orginally planned for. Sure, it is negelible in most cases. As long as you realize that it does in fact change it.

Edit: Doing it this way (as IDSkoT mentioned) keeps the port the same width, and the tuning stays the way it was planned.

Pop da Hatch
02-24-2009, 09:17 PM
Unless you are shooting for extra .01 - .03 deebeez, then I dont see it necessary for any 45s at all. but continue on............

grassroots
02-24-2009, 09:19 PM
hm, come to think of it.... i think IDskot designed a box for me about a year ago for a 18 with interchangeable ports...

his designs did not have this new found method of port design...

i want a refund

wasted ink
02-24-2009, 09:20 PM
Unless you are shooting for extra .01 - .03 deebeez, then I dont see it necessary for any 45s at all. but continue on............

Like I said, in most cases it is absolutely negligible, but when someone requests a certain tuning freq, I like to stay as close as possible. Not to mention it looks teh *** ;)

I'm not saying my process is any better or worse than anyone else's. By theory, it makes perfect sense.

Bass Addict
02-24-2009, 09:24 PM
anyone know if the port will be too big for the sx 12 ?

IDSkoT
02-24-2009, 09:33 PM

By not having the port the same width through out the whole port, it creates a bottle neck.

yeah it really makes no difference either way.

:rolleyes:
So, I guess if you make a 3" wide port and put a 1" wide piece of wood in the middle, it won't change anything, right?

hm, come to think of it.... i think IDskot designed a box for me about a year ago for a 18 with interchangeable ports...

his designs did not have this new found method of port design...

i want a refund

Haha. I don't think I've ever made an interchangeable port design. But, I only recently started charging for designs. So, nice try.

IDSkoT
02-24-2009, 09:34 PM
I'm going to kerf the elbow on my next box :fyi:

I was actually thinking about doing that. Kerfing the whole port. It'd be a btch to work with unless you have a really long / wide table / fence.

EDIT:: Got Bass ?, I'm tryin' to see if RE has an optimum port area... but, 49 cubic inches seems to be good. It's not set in stone yet, so, when RE responds, I'll put it in stone.

Pop da Hatch
02-24-2009, 09:38 PM
So, I guess if you make a 3" wide port and put a 1" wide piece of wood in the middle, it won't change anything, right?

No a normal 90 degree angle port will work fine for daily. Now go back to playing with your tinker toys.

IDSkoT
02-24-2009, 09:41 PM
No a normal 90 degree angle port will work fine for daily. Now go back to playing with your tinker toys.

Anything will work fine. It's not about "just working." It's an attempt to make everything more efficient, and not doing things half-assed.

James Bang
02-24-2009, 09:49 PM
the best ****ing way to elbow a port is to have NO elbow.

James Bang
02-24-2009, 09:51 PM
in a perfect world...

hiloracerboy84
02-24-2009, 10:02 PM
EDIT:: Got Bass ?, I'm tryin' to see if RE has an optimum port area... but, 49 cubic inches seems to be good. It's not set in stone yet, so, when RE responds, I'll put it in stone.
49 cubic inches? great box builder

James Bang
02-24-2009, 10:03 PM
49 cubic inches of ports is needed for the LOWWSSSesssss

IDSkoT
02-24-2009, 10:05 PM
49 cubic inches of ports is needed for the LOWWSSSesssss

THAT'S WHAT I'M SAYIN' DAWGG.

SSS 18734
02-24-2009, 10:05 PM
the best ****ing way to elbow a port is to have NO elbow.

That sentence makes no sense!

Anyway, here was my approach to the elbow in my box. It's not as practical for ports that are much taller than they are wide, though.

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/5286/boxbuild15ie9.jpg

James Bang
02-24-2009, 10:10 PM
That sentence makes no sense!

maybe I should have typed it slower for you to understand.

91Chevy
02-24-2009, 10:11 PM
Or you could have used proper grammar, which you should have been taught in Grade 3. Nice write-up; simple, yet effective, and it gets the point across.

IDSkoT
02-24-2009, 10:11 PM

I C WAT U DID THAR!

James Bang
02-24-2009, 10:12 PM
http://www.abenweek.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/lick-elbow.jpg

SSS 18734
02-24-2009, 10:13 PM

Maybe it's that... or maybe it's the fact that it's a sentence that contradicts itself, since you can't elbow a port by removing the elbow.

You silly ******! :p:

Bass Addict
02-24-2009, 10:17 PM
I was actually thinking about doing that. Kerfing the whole port. It'd be a btch to work with unless you have a really long / wide table / fence.

EDIT:: Got Bass ?, I'm tryin' to see if RE has an optimum port area... but, 49 cubic inches seems to be good. It's not set in stone yet, so, when RE responds, I'll put it in stone.i'll leave it up to you then :)

IDSkoT
02-24-2009, 10:31 PM
i'll leave it up to you then :)

Yeah. My bad, dude. My mind must've slipped.

New port area is 35 with a 5.6:1 ratio. So, shouldn't be too bad. I'll sand the corners a bit just in case.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v714/TwistedShot/Box2.jpg

If you want me to make it less deep, and wider or taller, just ask. Takes me 5 minutes to re-do it. The current external dimensions are 28.75"W X 16"D x 15.5"H

Wasted_Ink is going to do a brief picture walk through, so I'll post it up here when he's done, or he can.

PSturmer
02-24-2009, 11:54 PM
my second box ever made :)

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c8/psturmer/Misc%20Pictures/100_0871.jpg

and its not the perfect port. actual rounded inner and outer corners would be best. the perfect port would be strait.

IDSkoT
02-24-2009, 11:58 PM
my second box ever made :)

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c8/psturmer/Misc%20Pictures/100_0871.jpg

and its not the perfect port. actual rounded inner and outer corners would be best. the perfect port would be strait.

It looks good. I would've put a piece in between the inside port, or resin it up to strengthen it a bit. No offense, just looks kinda flimsy.

Pop da Hatch
02-25-2009, 12:09 AM
It looks good. I would've put a piece in between the inside port, or resin it up to strengthen it a bit. No offense, just looks kinda flimsy.

Thats why you a noob. Its screwed on the bottom and the top, It isnt going no where. Not to mention the glue..........

91Chevy
02-25-2009, 12:21 AM
Thats why you a noob. Its screwed on the bottom and the top, It isnt going no where. Not to mention the glue..........

If you're going to insult somebody based on their intelligence, I would suggest using proper grammar. ;)

RAM_Designs
02-25-2009, 12:31 AM
If you're going to insult somebody based on their intelligence, I would suggest using proper grammar. ;)

Where did he insult his intelligence? Sounds like he insulted his car audio experience...

IDSkoT
02-25-2009, 01:00 AM

What's the word I'm looking for...
Over kill?
But, I suppose you half-*** most of your installs, so you wouldn't know much about it. Let me try to explain, you do extra, to make sure that what you're doing is right, and is as efficient / powerful as possible. Hence why people do over-sized grounds, double baffles, excessive bracing, running RCA's on the opposite side of the power wire. Sure, you can get away with out doing any of those things, but, it doesn't mean you shouldn't if you can.

Pioneer~Saturn
02-25-2009, 01:22 AM
Why can't we be friends...:)

Pop da Hatch
02-25-2009, 01:25 AM

you're, my bad was typing fast.

p.s.

:yureawsm:

Pop da Hatch
02-25-2009, 01:29 AM
What's the word I'm looking for...
Over kill?
But, I suppose you half-*** most of your installs, so you wouldn't know much about it. Let me try to explain, you do extra, to make sure that what you're doing is right, and is as efficient / powerful as possible. Hence why people do over-sized grounds, double baffles, excessive bracing, running RCA's on the opposite side of the power wire. Sure, you can get away with out doing any of those things, but, it doesn't mean you shouldn't if you can.

Apparently you are a professional box building, so sorry Ive stepped on your toes. Anyways I havent installed anything in a long time but there is a decent picture of a box I built in my gallery, not sure you will like it though because its straight forward and to the point.

IDSkoT
02-25-2009, 01:37 AM
Apparently you are a professional box building, so sorry Ive stepped on your toes. Anyways I havent installed anything in a long time but there is a decent picture of a box I built in my gallery, not sure you will like it though because its straight forward and to the point.

I wasn't saying you HAD to do it this way, or you're wrong. This is just the proper way to do it. You can do whatever the hell you want. Leave it with out an elbow at all, I could care less. I was just informing the people who want to know the right way to elbow a corner, rather than just creating a bottle neck. I still don't know why you're trolling this thread.

SSS 18734
02-25-2009, 01:55 AM
Not sure why some people are getting on the OP's case. This isn't really a debate! Whether or not you feel it is necessary or not, the OP's method of elbowing mimics a kerfed elbow and is superior to that of a straight 90 degree bend.

mazdakid
02-25-2009, 08:38 AM
Op lets see some of the boxes you've built using the elbow in the port.

Bass Addict
02-25-2009, 09:35 AM
Yeah. My bad, dude. My mind must've slipped.

New port area is 35 with a 5.6:1 ratio. So, shouldn't be too bad. I'll sand the corners a bit just in case.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v714/TwistedShot/Box2.jpg

If you want me to make it less deep, and wider or taller, just ask. Takes me 5 minutes to re-do it. The current external dimensions are 28.75"W X 16"D x 15.5"H

Wasted_Ink is going to do a brief picture walk through, so I'll post it up here when he's done, or he can.looks perfect !!! i'll take it :)

Lakota
02-25-2009, 11:59 AM
Waste of time unless...
1) You're trying to find a way to improve you SPL score (which this might actually hurt).
2) You want to improve your woodworking skills.
3) You just want something different.

SPLaudio
02-25-2009, 12:10 PM
i have built and tested the inside will help ur score or just sand the 45 round good. the 45 in the outer corner of the port 9 times out of 10 will hurt ur spl score...

DDSC
02-25-2009, 12:15 PM
Why can't we be friends...:)

Piionerrrrrr, whats the tuning on my box bro....the suspensions killin me:(

kush-divinity
02-25-2009, 02:07 PM
I use a 3/4 roundover bit on the inside 90, but nothing but a bead of caulk in the outer 90 AFTER the glue dries. The idea of the rounded elbow is a good idea in your mind, but does not help enough to matter. The inner 90 can whistle some if you dont round it though.

You can prevent this by running twin slot ports, and have no need for your complicated elbow.....

mazdakid
02-25-2009, 02:42 PM
Nvm

IDSkoT
02-25-2009, 02:49 PM
This isn't for more DEEBEEZ, it's to minimize the chance of port noise which the person I designed this for was complaining about with his current box. I don't know why everyone is getting all butt hurt.

Bass Addict
02-25-2009, 03:19 PM
yea i dont need more deebeez lol,just need what i have to sound as good as it can while still retaining the loudness i allready have

Pop da Hatch
02-25-2009, 04:00 PM
terrible thread IMO. haha ;)

grassroots
02-25-2009, 05:52 PM
By not having the port the same width through out the whole port, it creates a bottle neck.

Haha. I don't think I've ever made an interchangeable port design. But, I only recently started charging for designs. So, nice try.

right, i mistook your user name for someone else.... that interchangeable port design far exceeded your apparent talents, my mistake....

besides lowering the tuning frequency, no i don't think it will. prove me wrong.

seems like just a gimmick to try and make a basic ported box into something special... trying to lure noobs into actually paying for one of your designs...

ngsm13
02-25-2009, 05:56 PM
Uh durr........

nG

91Chevy
02-25-2009, 07:03 PM
People here are so ****ing disrespectful. For people who are worried about port noise, and people who want to make their boxes and in turn their subs more efficient, this is good knowledge. For everybody else who doesn't care, this person went out of their way to try to help people, so you could at least acknowledge his kindness instead of flaming everything like a bunch of typical forum retards.

Bass Addict
02-25-2009, 07:21 PM
yea,idskot wont reply to my pm's now, so i guess the deal is off..i need a 2.5 cube box tuned to 38 with flared aero ports for trade for a alpine 9835 if anyone is interested.

mobeious
02-25-2009, 07:38 PM
so the port stays the same width throughout the whole port length?

nope

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y290/mobeious/Untitled2222.jpg

SSS 18734
02-25-2009, 07:58 PM
so the port stays the same width throughout the whole port length?

nope

He knows that... But it's far more consistent than a 90 degree port. The only way to make sure that it's cross section is exactly the same throughout the entire port is to curve the port.

badvlvo
02-25-2009, 08:27 PM
He knows that... But it's far more consistent than a 90 degree port. The only way to make sure that it's cross section is exactly the same throughout the entire port is to curve the port.

I agree.

It can all be solved easily. Creating the curve isn't that hard. I guess I will have to do one and start a thread to show that it's not hard but takes some time and caution, a decent table saw and patience. And a little bondo if you are seriously **** about the exactness of the port.

grassroots
02-25-2009, 09:10 PM
People here are so ****ing disrespectful. For people who are worried about port noise, and people who want to make their boxes and in turn their subs more efficient, this is good knowledge. For everybody else who doesn't care, this person went out of their way to try to help people, so you could at least acknowledge his kindness instead of flaming everything like a bunch of typical forum retards.

sorry, but this guy is an ******* and his thread was a poor attempt to market his box design sales by making it look like he had some revolutionary idea...

if it was anyone else, i wouldn't have even posted...

91Chevy
02-25-2009, 09:13 PM
Oh no, the internet police:rolleyes:

http://brian-moffatt.com/images/internetpolice.jpg

I take it you resemble that man?

Bass Addict
02-25-2009, 09:16 PM
sorry, but this guy is an ******* and his thread was a poor attempt to market his box design sales by making it look like he had some revolutionary idea...

if it was anyone else, i wouldn't have even posted...why would you say he is an ******* ? he dont come off that way to me :rolleyes:

bball09124
02-25-2009, 09:22 PM

Perhaps some water would be useful in cleaning out your sandy vag?

grassroots
02-25-2009, 09:23 PM
why would you say he is an ******* ? he dont come off that way to me :rolleyes:

**** that's been said in past threads....

Oh no, the internet police:rolleyes:

http://brian-moffatt.com/images/internetpolice.jpg

I take it you resemble that man?

what are you doing back at the computer? shouldn't you be sucking off idskot?

91Chevy
02-25-2009, 09:25 PM
what are you doing back at the computer? shouldn't you be sucking off idskot?

Aww, how cute. This infant has finally learned how to construct insults! Oh sure, it's been used thousands of times before, but the point is that he's finally learning, and growing up!:veryhapp:

SSS 18734
02-25-2009, 09:32 PM
Oh noes. This thread went full retard...

:threadlk:

ngsm13
02-25-2009, 10:38 PM

I wasn't saying you HAD to do it this way, or you're wrong. This is just the proper way to do it. You can do whatever the hell you want. Leave it with out an elbow at all, I could care less. I was just informing the people who want to know the right way to elbow a corner, rather than just creating a bottle neck. I still don't know why you're trolling this thread.

No... no it's not. You're far from an authority on the subject...

Waste of time unless...
1) You're trying to find a way to improve you SPL score (which this might actually hurt).
2) You want to improve your woodworking skills.
3) You just want something different.

This.

nG

IDSkoT
02-25-2009, 10:46 PM
right, i mistook your user name for someone else.... that interchangeable port design far exceeded your apparent talents, my mistake....

besides lowering the tuning frequency, no i don't think it will. prove me wrong.

seems like just a gimmick to try and make a basic ported box into something special... trying to lure noobs into actually paying for one of your designs...

I'm not trying to sell my designs at all. I do free designs all the time for people who ask... most of the time I don't even charge, I just ask if they want to give me money, if not it's fine.

yea,idskot wont reply to my pm's now, so i guess the deal is off..i need a 2.5 cube box tuned to 38 with flared aero ports for trade for a alpine 9835 if anyone is interested.

Nah. I was away from my PC all day today. I've been busy trying to deal with some RL stuff.

This. It's not the OMG-PERFECT way, but it's a lot more linear than just throwing in a random 45* angle.

It's not a revolutionary Idea... I actually got the idea from Wasted_Ink, and he probably got it from someone else. I'm not trying to market anything. I was trying to teach, but you have something jammed in your ***, probably because I insulted one of your builds, or called you a some sort of name, so now you're all butt hurt over the situation and you're trying to flame me in a thread tht was just supposed to show people the proper way to throw in a 45* angle, rather than throwing it in blindly. It's not perfect, but it's closer than anything else (short of kerfing the whole port.

And interchangeable ports are not out of my league... they're pretty easy. I've just never designed one before.

It's an attempt to make the port closer resemble a straight line, which is the ideal port. If you think it's dumb, and a waste of time, by all means, that's your prerogative. However, if you think it's a good idea, here's how I do it, since this is the easiest way (short of kerfing the whole thing) to replicate something closer to a straight line.

ngsm13
02-25-2009, 10:59 PM
Really want to make it perfect, get some PVC... and pour resin behind it.

Feg.

nG

IDSkoT
02-25-2009, 11:05 PM
Really want to make it perfect, get some PVC... and pour resin behind it.

Feg.

nG

It's true. I prefer round ports over slots any days. The only problem is the price. I don't have a router, so I can't make a flare, and to buy them are pretty costly. $20 bucks or so per aero, and most of the time it's 2 or 3. Well, depending on the design.

And, BTW, to anyone who thinks I'm trying to market my sub boxes...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v714/TwistedShot/PayPalHistory.jpg

That's 3 years of history from my PP received...
I've gotten paid for one design; it was $10 bucks that a member sent me through the mail. And the only reason I even accepted it is because I had $0 dollars. Period. I've made dozens of boxes, and I get a lot of thanks and what nots, but I've never had a complaint that the box didn't sound good, or there was port noise.

blackdragonaudi
02-25-2009, 11:12 PM
IDSkoT is very good at what he dose and how he dose it. I have learned a lot from him so all of you who think he is not good you need to shut up.

ngsm13
02-25-2009, 11:13 PM
It's true. I prefer round ports over slots any days. The only problem is the price. I don't have a router, so I can't make a flare, and to buy them are pretty costly. $20 bucks or so per aero, and most of the time it's 2 or 3. Well, depending on the design.

And, BTW, to anyone who thinks I'm trying to market my sub boxes...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v714/TwistedShot/PayPalHistory.jpg

That's 3 years of history from my PP received...
I've gotten paid for one design; it was $10 bucks that a member sent me through the mail. And the only reason I even accepted it is because I had $0 dollars. Period. I've made dozens of boxes, and I get a lot of thanks and what nots, but I've never had a complaint that the box didn't sound good, or there was port noise.

No, for a slot port... you put a section of PVC in the corner... pour resin behind it... let it cure...take way the PVC.

Also, "dozens" I doubt it. Quit over-exaggerating...

nG

ngsm13
02-25-2009, 11:14 PM
IDSkoT is very good at what he dose and how he dose it. I have learned a lot from him so all of you who think he is not good you need to shut up.

Learn how to spell feg...

nG

IDSkoT
02-25-2009, 11:17 PM
No, for a slot port... you put a section of PVC in the corner... pour resin behind it... let it cure...take way the PVC.

nG

Oh. Wow, that's actually pretty good. Route in the sides so it's smooth. Nice thinking. And, yes, no less than a dozen, but no more than 30.

Rashaddd
02-25-2009, 11:20 PM

nG

indeed a good method

this thread is getting gayer and gayer

91Chevy
02-25-2009, 11:48 PM
Learn how to spell feg...

nG

Homo.

See, I can insult people too.:eek:

Pop da Hatch
02-25-2009, 11:50 PM
Nice Thread, let me introduce you to my best friend..............

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3908/longcatislongdf7.jpg

91Chevy
02-25-2009, 11:51 PM
Please tell me you don't troll *CENSORED*...

speedfreak28
02-25-2009, 11:54 PM
:confused:

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3908/longcatislongdf7.jpg[/

Pop da Hatch
02-26-2009, 12:49 AM

Rashaddd
02-26-2009, 12:51 AM
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3908/longcatislongdf7.jpghttp://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3908/longcatislongdf7.jpghttp://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3908/longcatislongdf7.jpghttp://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3908/longcatislongdf7.jpghttp://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3908/longcatislongdf7.jpghttp://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3908/longcatislongdf7.jpghttp://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3908/longcatislongdf7.jpghttp://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3908/longcatislongdf7.jpghttp://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3908/longcatislongdf7.jpg

Pop da Hatch
02-26-2009, 12:54 AM
lawl.

ngsm13
02-26-2009, 01:05 AM
Win?

nG

SSS 18734
02-26-2009, 01:16 AM
ha lawlerskates

ngsm13
02-26-2009, 01:27 AM

:confused:

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3908/longcatislongdf7.jpg[/

QFT...

nG

IDSkoT
02-26-2009, 01:48 AM
Completely reasonable and mature responses.

cheeseburger35
02-26-2009, 04:25 AM
You can prevent this by running twin slot ports, and have no need for your complicated elbow.....

i don't think this is correct ... if you think you length changes just because you split the port into 2 slots your incorrect....

Pioneer~Saturn
02-26-2009, 04:27 AM
Completely reasonable and mature responses.

CA.com, a shining example of this :)