PDA

View Full Version : should i turn my box around and try to seal it off?

99grandprixGT
02-23-2009, 10:53 AM
what do you guys think? will it be worth the work? my seats dont fold down, only through a little pass through. but what im thinking is that i wont be able to push the box all that close to the back seat because there is a bar going across that is shorter then my box so id have to at least start the box there.so im wanting to try and seal it off.and ive seen other threads and people using expanding foam, but does that stuff come off easily, for when i sell the car? just looking for some ideas that wont mess up the car, and no i dont want to cut any of the medal. thanks.
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee253/99grandprix/060.jpg

jco1385
02-23-2009, 10:57 AM
wat

kush-divinity
02-23-2009, 11:26 AM
I would do it, but that's just me.

You probably will notice a reduction in trunk rattle, maybe a little more output down low.
I'd just take the back seat out and wall it off.

TnT_Sounds
02-23-2009, 05:45 PM
^^^^x2

99grandprixGT
02-23-2009, 06:52 PM
i wish i could wall it off, but i need my back seat, and then if i did wall it off id want to upgrade to like 2 18s or something. but i think ill try to seal it off or get 2 15s in the trunk this summer. im going to redo my whole system. and ill have another car to drive in the summer so i can tear this one apart and take my time. probably build the box in the trunk or in two pieces.

MmatsDude
02-23-2009, 07:45 PM
i was about to make a thread asking this same question, although my seats do fold down and im planning on turnin the box around and sealing it off like your planning on doing.. idk if its worth it though?

any input will help a bunch

ps. how do you exactly seal it off?

bumpingp19
02-23-2009, 07:57 PM
I am contemplating the same thing, and am completely rebuilding my system soon too. I have a 98 gtp. I am likely going to build a 2 piece box since our trunk openings are so small. I will be putting 2 15" nightshades in mine. I am thinking about rear facing with aero's through the passthrough (still deciding). And pulling the back seat and putting another set of buckets in the back. But have to wait for it to warm up as I am sound deadening everything and its cold here.

99grandprixGT
02-23-2009, 08:06 PM
I am contemplating the same thing, and am completely rebuilding my system soon too. I have a 98 gtp. I am likely going to build a 2 piece box since our trunk openings are so small. I will be putting 2 15" nightshades in mine. I am thinking about rear facing with aero's through the passthrough (still deciding). And pulling the back seat and putting another set of buckets in the back. But have to wait for it to warm up as I am sound deadening everything and its cold here.

ya i want to do 2 15s. are your 15s ported now? if i could just fit 2 15s ported in the trunk id be happy. i think i can fit them but theyd have to up up firing. so i dont know how that would sound or where to have the port.

s_mooj
02-23-2009, 08:06 PM
i was thinking the exact same thing for my new system thats currently in the making. i was thinking it would kind of act like a mini wall?? but i dunno for sure. 98 gp too :).
i was thinking of doing a little forward facing wall in the trunk and having one 9512 where the middle section of the seat folds down. seems like a good idea to me

thorshammer1
02-23-2009, 08:09 PM
Why is everyone stuck on 15's? Is it just because thier big?Why not a single 15 set up?

As much as I'm a big fan of forward firing trunks in this case I'd say no. If by chance you need to work on your subs how are you going to accomplish that?

99grandprixGT
02-23-2009, 08:14 PM
Why is everyone stuck on 15's? Is it just because thier big?Why not a single 15 set up?

As much as I'm a big fan of forward firing trunks in this case I'd say no. If by chance you need to work on your subs how are you going to accomplish that?

id have to take out the back seat evertime:crap: you guys think 2 15s would or 1 18 up firing would get loud in trunk car? with port towards the cabin. i might just stick with 2 12s

bumpingp19
02-23-2009, 08:19 PM
ya i want to do 2 15s. are your 15s ported now? if i could just fit 2 15s ported in the trunk id be happy. i think i can fit them but theyd have to up up firing. so i dont know how that would sound or where to have the port.

I am running 2 sealed 15's right now, but will be switching to ported. Without doing metal work aroung the backseat I will be forced to have my sundowns rear firing or top firing towards the trunk. I am trying to figure out where to fire the port also.....

You will be able to fit 2 15's in there ported, but will have to build the box in the trunk or build a 2 piece box the seal it up in the trunk.

thorshammer1
02-23-2009, 08:21 PM
id have to take out the back seat evertime:crap: you guys think 2 15s would or 1 18 up firing would get loud in trunk car? with port towards the cabin. i might just stick with 2 12s

I'm sure every combination listed will get loud in that trunk. Whatever you choose is gonna require an *** load of work. Up firing in a trunk works but without a shitton of deadening it makes your stuff sound like ***;) jmo

99grandprixGT
02-23-2009, 08:24 PM
I am running 2 sealed 15's right now, but will be switching to ported. Without doing metal work aroung the backseat I will be forced to have my sundowns rear firing or top firing towards the trunk. I am trying to figure out where to fire the port also.....

You will be able to fit 2 15's in there ported, but will have to build the box in the trunk or build a 2 piece box the seal it up in the trunk.

ya i have some ideas, i think the 2 piece design will be our best bet. probably fire up at the trunk lid, and port towrds cabin, so should be able to get the subs in and out and then be able to glue the box from the inside by going through the sub cut out.

bumpingp19
02-23-2009, 08:24 PM
^^^^^^

This is why I am redoing mine with 2 layers of RAAMmat throughout the trunk. My sealed 15's vibrate the shi!t out of it, let alone 2 nightshades ported.

budahbuddy803
02-23-2009, 08:28 PM
I dont know exactly your deminsion problems or whatever, but I have done mine and can still take it out easily.

Build the box so that the baffle is as big as you can get it. You want to go as wide and tall as possible. With my car i did that and scooted it as far forward as possible, which was actually really close. There is a max. of 1" gap between either the left and right or up and down in some places. Shove towels in those gaps and its basically sealed off. I secured the box with 4 L brackets and it keeps everything in place.

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/78/201/25192600082_large.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/78/201/25192600083_large.jpg

I have done a little more work after these pictures. I will get more up later.
BTW this is the box in my sig. so it's ported.

bumpingp19
02-23-2009, 08:30 PM
ya i have some ideas, i think the 2 piece design will be our best bet. probably fire up at the trunk lid, and port towrds cabin, so should be able to get the subs in and out and then be able to glue the box from the inside by going through the sub cut out.

I am going to double baffle the top of my box probably have the subs top/trunk lid firing and have the subs recessed. Put a sleeve in the boxes slide them together, and glue and carpet it in the trunk. But still cant figure out where to fire the port and or slotted or aero.....

99grandprixGT
02-23-2009, 08:35 PM
I dont know exactly your deminsion problems or whatever, but I have done mine and can still take it out easily.

Build the box so that the baffle is as big as you can get it. You want to go as wide and tall as possible. With my car i did that and scooted it as far forward as possible, which was actually really close. There is a max. of 1" gap between either the left and right or up and down in some places. Shove towels in those gaps and its basically sealed off. I secured the box with 4 L brackets and it keeps everything in place.

I have done a little more work after these pictures. I will get more up later.
BTW this is the box in my sig. so it's ported.
ya thats what i was thinking of doing. but im going to put the batts and amp behind the box .

I am going to double baffle the top of my box probably have the subs top/trunk lid firing and have the subs recessed. Put a sleeve in the boxes slide them together, and glue and carpet it in the trunk. But still cant figure out where to fire the port and or slotted or aero.....

ya that sounds good idea. and ya mabye even use aeros, save on space but where to fire that is the question lol

99grandprixGT
02-23-2009, 10:50 PM
oh and this will all be this summer so im not in a hurry just getting all my stuff together, got the batteries on the way a bunch of 1/0 hyper flex starting to look for HO alt.

SPLaudio
02-24-2009, 04:48 PM
you have a couple options. i fyou want it loud just lay ur seat down and put it up when u have passengers or make it hindge.

another option is to do a bandpass with 2 12s and have it blow thru the ski hole. the subs could be removable thru the back of the enclosure.

i totally understand doing the 15s it's a totally different sound than 10s or 12s. i have done a few installs of 15s firing foward ported in larger sedans. the low freq flex is CRAZY! one we competed with a few yrs back would flex the A pilliar atleast a inch with music.

doing the 15s is gonna take alot of work and planning but will be worth it when ur done, do it! if you need help let me know...

SPLaudio
02-24-2009, 04:50 PM
budahbuddy803; move that amp rack and lower that sub and you will gain ALOT!

99grandprixGT
02-24-2009, 05:31 PM
you have a couple options. i fyou want it loud just lay ur seat down and put it up when u have passengers or make it hindge.

another option is to do a bandpass with 2 12s and have it blow thru the ski hole. the subs could be removable thru the back of the enclosure.

i totally understand doing the 15s it's a totally different sound than 10s or 12s. i have done a few installs of 15s firing foward ported in larger sedans. the low freq flex is CRAZY! one we competed with a few yrs back would flex the A pilliar atleast a inch with music.

doing the 15s is gonna take alot of work and planning but will be worth it when ur done, do it! if you need help let me know...

alright thanks man. i think im going to try the 15s this summer ill take everything out and measure and see what i can do.

bumpingp19
02-25-2009, 03:39 PM
ygpm