PDA

View Full Version : 'Morning

ghostmechanic
02-23-2009, 02:05 AM
I joined a few days ago & just realized I've been reading & laughing so much that I forgot to do this. I'm not any good at intros.

I'm an older guy that was into this hobby fairly heavily but, it's been a few years. I just kind of decided it was a PITA, I guess. I rebuilt loudspeaker drivers as a hobby for MANY years & also designed & built from scratch. I hold a patent on a subwoofer magnet that I never got around to doing anything with. I still have the drawings & maybe I will now that I'm older.

I was also a big gear head but I kinda grew out of that.

Recently I've gotten burnt out on my other hobby & decided to get back into this one. I see a lot of things have changed. There's little made in USA & brands that were once good either are gone or have been bought out by some crappy company that farms everything out to China. Lovely.

One thing that's cool... I see a lot of the guys in this hobby are really into "old school" amps & such. I really feel the amps that were made here in the USA were always the best. I took for granted that that would always be the case.

dragnix
02-23-2009, 02:06 AM
Welcome. There are plenty of amps made in the USA now, it's just a lot pricier

It's night here :fyi:

Memphis4L
02-23-2009, 02:08 AM
welcome

dragnix
02-23-2009, 02:09 AM
what is so special about this patent that you have on the subwoofer magnet? I guess to put it in better words, what's so special about this kind of magnet that you patented?

IDSkoT
02-23-2009, 02:09 AM
To my knowledge, MMatts amps are still made in South Florida... a member tried to ream me because I didn't know that. I LOL'D AT HIM!
But, yeah, there are a few... not many. They make a lot of subs in the US, but most of the amps are made in Korea or China... and apparently Korea has better quality vs. China.

And it's 2 AM. >_>

dragnix
02-23-2009, 02:11 AM
it's only 11 here ;)

infamous_e46
02-23-2009, 02:15 AM
http://videogame2play.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/noob_yoda.jpg

tc3k101
02-23-2009, 02:15 AM
it's only 11 here ;)

11:15

infamous_e46
02-23-2009, 02:16 AM
my work clock says 11:08

tc3k101
02-23-2009, 02:17 AM
my work clock says 11:08

yo **** be wrong son

infamous_e46
02-23-2009, 02:18 AM
yo **** be wrong son

your from the ie get me some parts for my honda i know you know guys who steal honda's.......................

j/k :laugh:

ghostmechanic
02-25-2009, 03:43 AM
what is so special about this patent that you have on the subwoofer magnet? I guess to put it in better words, what's so special about this kind of magnet that you patented?

It's not really that special. I'd rather not explain it in too much detail but it seemed extremely special at the time. And it cost a small mint to get a patent. I was also trying to get another patent for a different design later on but the cost had significantly increased so that idea still just floats in my head:p:

Basically it keeps the voice coil in the strongest part of the magnetic field at all times so the cone can be controlled more. I was also working on several other projects when I was into that sort of thing. One of them was a transducer with a full 360° dispersion pattern. That was never finished.

I'm not an engineer or claim to be any kind of prodigy or anything. I just started destroying & then experimenting with rebuilding drivers when I was about 12 years old. I got pretty good at it after a few years & I had looked into starting a reconing company (getting distributers for parts & such) in my early 20s. Somehow I just gave up on it. I think kids had something to do with that.

There have been so many things that have changed since I got into audio. I remember the first CD changer I ever saw for a car. It was made by Sony, had a metal case & cost $999 at Crutchfield. It was an ugly cream color. My first car CD player was a JVC XLG-2000 that used a half cartridge for the CD. It was actually made in Japan. I just got rid of that thing a couple of years ago in a Porsche 944 Turbo I sold.

And thanks all for the welcomes. Sorry but I have a bad habit of long posts.

denim
03-15-2009, 02:07 PM
Welcome to CA.