PDA

View Full Version : Alpine 7998 users who've bi-amped components before....

redcalimp5
02-23-2009, 12:44 AM
I've got a 7998 that I'm using to run a newly installed set of Boston PRO60's with, and I've currently got them bi-amped using the passive crossovers. The switch on the side of the 7998 is set for 2 way active configuration.

I was hoping by bi-amping these comps, I'd have more optional flexibility with adjusting crossover points on the HU...is that not correct? Is this only acheivable in 3 way active mode on the HU? This is the first time I've bi-amped a set of comps through passive crossovers, so I'm learning.

When I go to the crossover settings menu on the 7998, everything is set to 'Off', and I can't adjust any setting in there. I can only adjust Time Alignment and the User/Parametric EQ.

Anyone have any experience with this deck and bi-amping?

James Bang
02-23-2009, 01:06 AM
What you should do is have the HU on 3way mode so you can utilize the T/A feature. Front RCAs to tweets output on amp. rear output to mids. The bi-amp xover between the amp and your speakers is just setting the xover point for your speakers.

IMO, There's no use in bi-amping your comp set, if you have that HU. It's basically the same ****, but with the passive, you can't choose your own xover points.

The Bi-amp passives basically has tweet and mid input and output. Just go active if you have enough channels if amplication, which you should if you're bi-amping your set.

James Bang
02-23-2009, 01:13 AM
another thing. I'd suggest you get a small 2 channel for your tweets, and a 4 channel for your mids (Bridged).

That way you can get your tweets balanced, using the balance on your HU.
Then you balance your mids using the gains. Each of your mids will have their own gain/sensitivity levels since they're bridged, i.e. left mid = fronts, right mid = rears.

Then you put the icing on the cake (time alignment)

ngsm13
02-23-2009, 01:17 AM
This, and that.

nG

James Bang
02-23-2009, 01:23 AM
those?

JimJ
02-23-2009, 01:25 AM
This'un.

James Bang
02-23-2009, 01:26 AM
big'uns.

redcalimp5
02-23-2009, 11:56 PM
LOL I guess I failed to mention that I'm not really into staying active with my setup after frying 3 different sets of tweeters. Yep, gain almost all the way down, crossovers set at 4.0kHz, 12db/oct for each one. Until I can figuure out for certain what's making my tweets pop like jiffy pop when I'm running active, I'll be using passive crossovers, and/or I'll be bi-amping. I'm at 'that' point of just vivid frustration with the active thing right now. Using the passives will give me the tweeter protection that I apparently need, until I'm ready to tackle the active thing again.

redcalimp5
02-23-2009, 11:58 PM
So if I'm bi-amping the Boston's, do I set the 7998 to 2 way active, or 3 way active?

redcalimp5
02-24-2009, 01:36 AM
Anyone know if I should run the 7998 2 or 3 way active if I'm bi-amping?

James Bang
02-24-2009, 02:00 AM
I know that you should stop being poosay :)

ngsm13
02-24-2009, 02:12 AM

This.

nG

James Bang
02-24-2009, 02:13 AM
YOu know what's crazy... NO gains is already too much gains for my tweets...

looking for a smaller amp now... = more work for my lazy *** :(

mcsoul
02-24-2009, 10:44 AM
YOu know what's crazy... NO gains is already too much gains for my tweets...

looking for a smaller amp now... = more work for my lazy *** :(

L-pad?

redcalimp5
02-25-2009, 04:36 AM

Dayum James, you're a harsh audience. lol

If I didn't know better, I'd have to swoll up my E-thug masculinity up on ya! :cool:

redcalimp5
02-25-2009, 04:37 AM
This.

nG

Thanks for the 'insightful' contribution, oh great Gizzzm.......:veryhapp:

James Bang
02-25-2009, 12:06 PM
Dayum James, you're a harsh audience. lol

If I didn't know better, I'd have to swoll up my E-thug masculinity up on ya! :cool:

hey hey hey, calm down before I go active on you.

redcalimp5
02-26-2009, 03:52 AM
hey hey hey, calm down before I go active on you.

LOL!! NO NO, not the 'active' threat! PULEEZ, let's just try to be civil and not pop my tweets!!! :crap:

Seriously, tho, man.....I've tried the PRO60 tweets active when I first installed them, with the gain pretty much all the way down to where it was off, and it sounded like crap. I turned the gain up a little bit to where it started to sound noticeably better, but then I remembered how much I HAATE popping tweets, and I put the passive crossovers in and bi-amp'd dem bishes.

James Bang
02-26-2009, 11:53 AM
I don't see any reason for the tweets to sound any different with the gains all the way down.. it should just be not as loud. The gain should not mess w/ the FR, just amplitude.

I have my tweeter amp gains on minimum AND the levels on my xover is -12db (left channel). If the left is any louder it'll be easily localized and it'll sound like the singer is coming from the left and center, which *****.

FoxPro5
02-26-2009, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the 'insightful' contribution, oh great Gizzzm.......:veryhapp:

That kid is a worthless wad of **** 99% of the time. :crap:

Like JB said, forget bi-amping the passives AND running active in 3-way mode. If you're opposed to running active, then bridge the amp for more power to the passives. Makes no sense in my mind to even own a HU with DSP in it and not use it.

And like I mentioned in another one of your threads, you have no better odds of frying a piece of equipment running it active than using a passive. I've run mountains of active power to lots of tweeters and have never thermaled one. You might need to clean your ears out. Seriously. :)

FoxPro5
02-26-2009, 04:01 PM
I've tried the PRO60 tweets active when I first installed them, with the gain pretty much all the way down to where it was off, and it sounded like crap.

Maybe those tweeters SOUND LIKE CRAP? Where are they mounted and aimed?

No gain needed for tweeters. Ever. Don't do it. Something is wrong if you're adding gain to an EXTREMELY efficient speaker that moves less than a mm at full excursion. 15w RMS is enough to make you deaf.

James Bang
02-26-2009, 06:33 PM
That kid is a worthless wad of **** 99% of the time. :crap:

on a good day, you'll can catch his 1% of worthiness.