PDA

View Full Version : suggestions on car alarm w/o remote start

blackbonnie
02-20-2009, 05:42 AM
im looking around for some car alarms and am really interested in viper alarms as i hear great things.

problem is, i dont know where to start...

i know i wanna be protected for glass breakage and have a protection around my car, i believe you call that a proximity sensor. but other then that, i dont know what else i want or should get.

i do not want remote start as i already have it stock on my car, but i wanna make sure that installing this alarm (which i will either do by myself or have thunderbird do it or help me do it) i get to keep all my factory options. i do not wanna lose anything. it would be nice to have everything accesible from one remote but i dont wanna pay the extra money to get the remote start kit.

can someone recommend me some good viper alarms for around 350$ or less as i do not know where to start as i am completely new to them.

Worlddre
02-20-2009, 09:25 AM
The only issue with what you are requesting is using the factory remote start is likely not going to be possible as unless you a wire in the care other than IGN that changes state during the activation of the remote start the factory rs will set off the alarm. You need to find a wire that likely doesn't exist since I can all but guarantee that remote start activation is data based. Thus leaving you stuck with buying remote start too if you want to keep it.

blackbonnie
02-20-2009, 09:49 AM
ok, so if buying the remote start with the alarm when installed will it automatically disable the factory remote start or will i have to disable it physically?

Worlddre
02-20-2009, 12:16 PM
If the remote start is set up like I think it is it will be all data based so you could simply ignore it and not have to worry about it. However if it is a dealer installed option as I have seen come from ford and others it will installed just like an aftermarket remote start you could just rip it out

blackbonnie
02-20-2009, 05:52 PM
alright, well any suggestions on good systems

Worlddre
02-20-2009, 06:11 PM
anything you like from directed or compustar

blackbonnie
02-20-2009, 07:45 PM
how good is the viper 5901

Worlddre
02-20-2009, 08:57 PM
id wait on any of directed new 2way offerings as i and others that i know have been experiencing many issues with the two way remotes losing the 2way function

THUNDERBIRD
02-20-2009, 09:12 PM
yeah ur gonna lose you factory rs. plus if you still wanted it you will need 2 remotes factory to rs the car and the alarm to arm and disarm. and in order to use the factory you wouold have to disarm and rs. so get an all in 1 unit. your going to lose a ignition key also a 556u is what they list as the bypass.

blackbonnie
02-20-2009, 11:03 PM
what do you mean by losing an ignition key?

and what is the bypass used for? and where could i find it?

Worlddre
02-20-2009, 11:39 PM
you will not lose a key in that vehicle as it is a Passlock II vehicle. You can purchase a bypass if you want a 555L or an xk06 but you can also skip the bypass and use a resistor and a relay and bypass for a tad cheaper not to mention the relay method for me has been a bit more reliable over the years

blackbonnie
02-21-2009, 09:37 AM
what does the bypass do?

jowens500
02-21-2009, 10:01 AM
There is a "chip" in the black part of your key. In the ignition switch there is a "chip reader". If the "chip" in the key matches the "chip" in the ECU your car will start. If it doesn't match your car wont start. The bypass module learns the resistance of your "chip" and when you remote start your car the bypass module make your car think the key is in the ignition.

blackbonnie
02-21-2009, 01:41 PM
so then how does the factory rs work? does that have a bypass?

THUNDERBIRD
02-21-2009, 11:22 PM
because its factory, factory made, factory programmed. all we are doing is adding a unit that replicates they process of you starting your car with a key.

blackbonnie
02-21-2009, 11:29 PM
where can i buy all the extra sensors for a viper 5901? like a proximity sensor and glass breakage sensor

Worlddre
02-22-2009, 11:01 AM
probably the same place you buy the alarm

blackbonnie
02-22-2009, 12:13 PM
are there any model numbers that work for the 5901? or are they all generic and work with all alarms

Worlddre
02-22-2009, 01:59 PM
If buying the 5901 just purchase directed sensors

THUNDERBIRD
02-22-2009, 08:40 PM
i am not a big fan of all the extra sensors. that means **** will false alot. as long as your shock sensor is in a good spot and adjusted properly along with all your door sensors, truck pin, hood pin, your golden. because they gotta break the window to get in shock sensor will pick that up, if not they open the door and as long as they open the door it will set that off. proxes are great for convertibles, and jeeps.