PDA

View Full Version : Tweets on dash?

groove269
02-18-2009, 01:30 AM
Would my 1" tweeters sound good on my dash? don't know if the tweeter would be too far from my mids which would be on the door. what do you guys think?
My component set is Eclipse SC8362

smoka
02-18-2009, 02:33 AM
Get some spare speaker wire and try it out? Check the dash, window sails, kickpanel, and door locations. See which you like best.

PaulThompson229
02-18-2009, 02:36 AM
I have done it, although it is bad imaging (poor SQ) unless it is an add on in adition to door tweets, best to keep them in the sides of the vehicle.

groove269
02-18-2009, 02:44 AM
so should i get 3.5" speakers for the dash and run them off the HU and component tweets on door close to mids running off amp?

PaulThompson229
02-18-2009, 02:47 AM
Do you absolutely need a center stage? If not then I wouldn't even bother. And you won't get hardly any midbass from a 3.5" coaxie.

groove269
02-18-2009, 02:55 AM
Do you absolutely need a center stage? If not then I wouldn't even bother. And you won't get hardly any midbass from a 3.5" coaxie.

wouldnt really want the 3.5" for mid bass but more for high, dunno if im thinking correctly :confused:

PaulThompson229
02-18-2009, 03:00 AM
Have you thought about a CDT upstage kit?

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=3087

James Bang
02-18-2009, 03:03 AM
Have you thought about a CDT upstage kit?

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=3087

that's gross.

PaulThompson229
02-18-2009, 03:05 AM
that's gross.

Meh, its nice for a budget if you aren't worried about proper imaging. Although I would prefer the tw24's instead of the tw19's.

groove269
02-18-2009, 03:05 AM
that's gross.

why gross?

Beerdrnkr
02-18-2009, 03:07 AM
What are you trying to accomplish? Do you want a 3way setup?

PaulThompson229
02-18-2009, 03:07 AM
why gross?

Bad imaging, same as any center stage.

groove269
02-18-2009, 03:35 AM
just want a clear sound, i want to be able to hear red hot chili peppers really good

PaulThompson229
02-18-2009, 04:00 AM
Then my best advice is to buy another pair of tweets and put them in your doors.

groove269
02-18-2009, 04:31 AM
which ones would be good?

PaulThompson229
02-18-2009, 04:37 AM
Whatever suits your tastes and budget, I have 2 pairs of these and they are the best tweets I have ever heard, they usually sell for $300 a pair.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CDT-Audio-EuroSport-ES-01-Competition-Silk-Tweeter_W0QQitemZ110325811608QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCa r_Speakers?hash=item110325811608&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Beerdrnkr
02-18-2009, 04:50 AM
You can always run your components active and set them up the way you want. Find out if the tweeters sound better on or off axis. I've had tweeters sound good in the stock locations near the side mirrors as well as where I have them now which is on the a-pillars. I didn't like my tweeters in the kickpanels although some people do. I would recommend before going through all the hassle of fabricating a place to put them just get some velcro and stick them temporarily in different places on and off axis and see what works best.

groove269
02-18-2009, 05:32 AM
is my HU capable of running an active setup?

okiedokie
02-18-2009, 12:47 PM
no^

Beerdrnkr
02-18-2009, 02:14 PM
is my HU capable of running an active setup?

No it's not but you could add an external xover for pretty cheap.

soloXgt
02-18-2009, 02:21 PM
whats your opinion on putting tweets on the dash powered off the headunit to maybe get a little better imaging while the main comp. set is off an amp. anyone ever try this??

Beerdrnkr
02-18-2009, 02:30 PM
whats your opinion on putting tweets on the dash at about 30-50 watts to maybe get a little better imaging? anyone ever try this??

Is that including tweeters somewhere else or having those alone? Would they be pointing directly at you or across at eachother? You could put plenty of power to them even with them being pointed right at you on the dash but having T/A would definately help in imaging and not fatiguing your ears. I have mine right at ear lever on the a-pillars pointing right at me (left tweet at left ear and right tweet at right ear) on 100wrms x 2 and with a little T/A they aren't harsh and they have really good left/right seperation.

dewey79
02-18-2009, 09:10 PM
I have an 06 civic coupe and the factory location for the tweeter is in the dash. They are right under the wind shield and they sound rather nice bouncing off of it. It gives you a great feel of sound being every where.

However, new speakers that are not broken in or cheap speakers my not sound as good.

I actually prefer them there rather them having them pointing at me. I have some infinity perfects and they make some good tweeters, so they don't have to pointing at me.

groove269
02-18-2009, 10:31 PM
So i should put the 1" comp tweeters into my dash (dash already has L+Center+R grills for 3.5" speakers ) and make the sound bounce off the windshield?

okiedokie
02-19-2009, 01:01 AM
no you dont want your tweeters reflecting off the windshield.
velcro them first, to find the best spot on your pillars, placement & aiming is very important
off axis,on axis,or in between you need to find that perfect spot for your car.

groove269
02-19-2009, 05:19 PM
no you dont want your tweeters reflecting off the windshield.
velcro them first, to find the best spot on your pillars, placement & aiming is very important
off axis,on axis,or in between you need to find that perfect spot for your car.

thanks! I guess ill have to drill into my doors then...its ok. What about also installing 3.5" in my dash? would that also sound good when i crank up the volume?

okiedokie
02-19-2009, 05:31 PM
if you are going to have a three way then yes a 3inch mids might sound good in your dash but you should at least first try placement & aiming of your tweeters, in the doors, or pillars, or you can try to fab some pods.
there isnt a wrong or right way of doing it, it's more on about what sounds go to you, in your car.

groove269
02-19-2009, 06:59 PM
Wouldnt it not sound as good if the tweeter is too far from the mids? If i did get the 3.5" on the dash i would run it from HU power. i dont know if im on the right path here...help!

James Bang
02-19-2009, 07:51 PM
You have longs ways to go young grasshoppa

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/search.php

Moonraker
02-19-2009, 08:09 PM
I have heard some ok results with dash mounted tweeters but it depends on the tweeter itself, those that play lower will always work out better in this position.

galacticmonkey
02-19-2009, 08:09 PM
Unless you have an ear for SQ (most dont, this includes me), you will be fine pretty much putting them anywhere. Just get a nice component set that you like and put them where you like the sound.

Try the dash, doors, etc. Just do whatever sounds best to you. But in all honesty, it shouldnt make THAT much of a difference.

okiedokie
02-19-2009, 08:18 PM
wow^^^^

James Bang
02-19-2009, 08:26 PM
Unless you have an ear for SQ (most dont, this includes me), you will be fine pretty much putting them anywhere. Just get a nice component set that you like and put them where you like the sound.

Try the dash, doors, etc. Just do whatever sounds best to you. But in all honesty, it shouldnt make THAT much of a difference.

:laugh:

galacticmonkey
02-19-2009, 08:42 PM
Whats funny? If he was really into the SQ thing, he wouldnt be asking these questions in the first place.

Its not like he is running a SQ system. Just 2 12" CVRs on a Brutus amp. If he was running a $800 set of comps, fully deadened sealed doors, fully deadened car, full active processing, etc then I could see taking the time to make sure you put the tweets in for best imaging.

For the average guy just looking to "hear RHCP real good", I dont think every little detail will even be noticeable. As said, just test a couple spots, and whichever sounds best to you, install them there.

I dont see the problem with this reasoning?

okiedokie
02-19-2009, 09:22 PM
i think he's trying learn the basics.
you dont have to have all the processing & active set up to enjoy your gear even if it isn't worth $900

01 S 10
02-19-2009, 09:30 PM
Whats funny? If he was really into the SQ thing, he wouldnt be asking these questions in the first place.

Its not like he is running a SQ system. Just 2 12" CVRs on a Brutus amp. If he was running a $800 set of comps, fully deadened sealed doors, fully deadened car, full active processing, etc then I could see taking the time to make sure you put the tweets in for best imaging.

For the average guy just looking to "hear RHCP real good", I dont think every little detail will even be noticeable. As said, just test a couple spots, and whichever sounds best to you, install them there.

you mean you dont like SQ? your 24 15"s still sound good tho? lol

to the OP, im with the others, just move them around while listening and see where it sounds best

groove269
02-19-2009, 10:45 PM
i am into the sq thing just not to compete, i want to be able to turn up my volume hear them vocals roar with clarity. I would be playing all sorts of music, mainly rock, metal, rap, hip hop etc. i would like a clean look which is why i was trying to steer away from making holes into my door but i will if i have to.

Ill try to place the tweeter (dome :( ) in diffrent places and see how it sounds. my 4 channel amp will have (2) channels left over....maybe another set of comps would do?

Oh yeah, i will be deadning my doors with dynamat xtreme.

James Bang
02-19-2009, 11:59 PM

hmmm.. i never knew you need $800 comps for SQ.

I guess for non-SQ cars, we can just point our tweets and mids anywhere. Can we point our subs and ports anywhere too?

galacticmonkey
02-20-2009, 12:12 AM
Yes. I mount the subs in the roof of the car. **** beats down the block, dawg. :fyi:

groove269
02-20-2009, 01:17 AM
Yes. I mount the subs in the roof of the car. **** beats down the block, dawg. :fyi:

wouldn't that give me brain damage?:D

But seriously, i know i'm prob making this harder than it is, but i just want clear sound for any type of music i play, not competition mind blowing sound.

throatrattling
02-20-2009, 01:37 AM
You've got the advice you're looking for man. All you need is one good set of components on a decent 4 channel amp, and try out your tweeters in different locations with some velcro, try a different position every week. See what you like most, and then make a permanent home for them there. Before you waste money buying tons of speakers and tweeters, just do your research. Get one good set of components on a good 4 channel amp, deaden the **** out of your doors and play around with tweeter locations. Nobody can really tell you what is going to be the best setup for you, Only you can figure that out, by trial and error.

groove269
02-20-2009, 01:47 AM
You've got the advice you're looking for man. All you need is one good set of components on a decent 4 channel amp, and try out your tweeters in different locations with some velcro, try a different position every week. See what you like most, and then make a permanent home for them there. Before you waste money buying tons of speakers and tweeters, just do your research. Get one good set of components on a good 4 channel amp, deaden the **** out of your doors and play around with tweeter locations. Nobody can really tell you what is going to be the best setup for you, Only you can figure that out, by trial and error.

Point taken, but im more interested on how (if i do get the dash speakers) it will sound. i do plan to place the tweeters on diffrent locations. I want to be surrounded by vocals i guess, LOL.

I Like Waffle
02-20-2009, 12:30 PM
I didnt bother to read the whole thread but id like to add: I have my tweeters on my a pillars, facing the dome light, and i liked it alot better than them facing up in the dash, or on the door panels. Theyre alot more prominent and clear on the a pillars. :)

jco1385
02-20-2009, 12:43 PM
i used to have mine mounted on the dash. only because that was the easiest place and idgaf about SQ really so it sounded OK.

i'm sure mr. bang would have hated it though :laugh:

i have pics:

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc265/jco1385/IMAGE_210.jpg
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc265/jco1385/IMAGE_209.jpg
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc265/jco1385/IMAGE_213.jpg

soloXgt
02-20-2009, 12:48 PM
Is that including tweeters somewhere else or having those alone? Would they be pointing directly at you or across at eachother? You could put plenty of power to them even with them being pointed right at you on the dash but having T/A would definately help in imaging and not fatiguing your ears. I have mine right at ear lever on the a-pillars pointing right at me (left tweet at left ear and right tweet at right ear) on 100wrms x 2 and with a little T/A they aren't harsh and they have really good left/right seperation.

I will have two sets of tweet (aluminum) in the stock location (mirror) What I want to hear is more sound from the front rather than the sides where everything is located and not get a ton of separation. Ha, well, I just explained the problem with determining good imaging.....guess its time to get out the velcro and listen....

groove269
02-20-2009, 01:10 PM
My tweets wouldnt be mounted on the dash but inside some inserts on the dash. i have a dodge charger and it already comes with "7 piece" stereo system...3 on dash (left, mid right) and 2 on doors then 2 in the back. Since i got the 4 speaker system it has all grills where the 7 system speaker would be. My install is tomorrow and ill be buying some kicker or rainbow 3.5" and place my tweets at different locations then ill drop in the 3.5" and see if i like.
Thanks for all your help guys

soloXgt
02-20-2009, 01:11 PM
how u like that comp set?

Louisiana_CRX
02-20-2009, 01:20 PM
:popcorn:

groove269
02-20-2009, 01:34 PM
The Eclipse or existing 4-speaker set in my charger?

James Bang
02-20-2009, 05:28 PM
:popcorn:
butter?

i used to have mine mounted on the dash. only because that was the easiest place and idgaf about SQ really so it sounded OK.

i'm sure mr. bang would have hated it though :laugh:

i have pics:

I wouldn't 'gaf' about SQ if i were you either. :cool:

kush-divinity
02-21-2009, 05:34 PM
More is usually better if you aren't concerned with insane SQ.

I find that dash mounting "cheap" tweeters sort of lessens the tinny sound. I do hate the harsh impact of hard domes, and I know well as I run old Fultrons. Mine are on my doors, pointing directly at me. I simply reduce levels above 5khz. Easy way to reduce harshness.

I think you will be satisfied with your tweeters in the doors, above the components. It is a great idea for you to add those 3.5 in the dash, but not off of the HU. I would amp them with a highpass of 500hz or so. Just to prevent muddiness on real music. You will probably never notice on rap or bass tracks.

James Bang
02-21-2009, 06:17 PM
wtf is insane SQ

FoxPro5
02-21-2009, 06:30 PM
wtf is insane SQ

Mad pipe organ played at 170 dB on full range tweeters. :fyi: Don't hate until you've tried it.

galacticmonkey
02-22-2009, 03:09 AM
wtf is insane SQ

Come listen to my van and you'll know. Best sounding setup evarrrrrrrrrr in the history of sq, cars, music, vehicles, supas mom, and just about anything else you can ever think of.

okiedokie
02-22-2009, 03:42 AM
oh really^^^^

kush-divinity
02-22-2009, 11:55 AM
Insane SQ = he really don't give a ****.

You can sort of tell, he just wants to rock the barrio with loud, clean, offensive music.
He just wants to get loud, so why not more speakers? Add the power, keep em fairly clear, and rock on. And although most here will disagree, I prefer some stage up front. And multi driver front stages sound better TO ME than simply a nice 2way component set. I love full sound, and lots up front.

But OP, no matter how you decide to tackle this, it really only matters to you. Get your *** outside and play around with locations. GTFO the internet and go try in real life. No matter which path you take, these douchenozzles here will clown you anyways.

groove269
02-22-2009, 01:48 PM
I am at the install place, I'm also surfing online through my blackberry for advice. They fully deadend my doors and ran the wires so far, today they putting in the drivers then ill sit in my car and place tweeters in diffrent locations for best possible sound. :)

The install guy took almost an hour to put my HU in...all he kept repeating is "I hate american cars!" (08 Dodge charger) LOL

okiedokie
02-22-2009, 02:02 PM
ok