PDA

View Full Version : Hertz Milles < sub-0 temps

lrc131
02-17-2009, 09:19 PM
The midwest had a nice little cold snap last month and this is what it did to my Hertz Milles. The surround froze solid. Cracked the cone. Ripped the surround. Separated the surround from the cone...
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c142/lrc131/IMG_0493.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c142/lrc131/IMG_0494.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c142/lrc131/IMG_0495.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c142/lrc131/IMG_0496.jpg

+1 for buying authorized:)

chaunb3400
02-17-2009, 09:28 PM
****n

Blue Fury
02-17-2009, 09:30 PM
Im sorry dude, those are frickin expensive. Good luck with that

lrc131
02-17-2009, 09:34 PM
Im sorry dude, those are frickin expensive. Good luck with that

its not a big deal, i already got special "re-engineered" mids sent directly from italy to my dealer. They claim that they used a different surround material that doesnt freeze. I put the new ones in the freezer a couple of hours ago and im going to see if they do the same thing before i install them.

speedfreak28
02-17-2009, 09:35 PM
glad you were smart and paid for the warranty:)

Blue Fury
02-17-2009, 09:36 PM
Edit: warranty covered it? ****, I wonder what mine covers (if I have one, just got some 8" hertz woofers today)

lrc131
02-17-2009, 09:47 PM
glad you were smart and paid for the warranty:)

me too!:D

Edit: warranty covered it? ****, I wonder what mine covers (if I have one, just got some 8" hertz woofers today)

yup, this is actually the second time this has happened! this time the had the hertz rep come to the shop to show him the freezing problem.

okiedokie
02-17-2009, 10:21 PM
wow,

SQPL
02-17-2009, 10:50 PM
That ***** if purchased from non dealer or the warranty already expired. :( This is the first time I heard this problem speakers frozen. :rolleyes: makes me wanna think twice before buying Hertz speakers.

dafobbishon3
02-17-2009, 10:54 PM
that is a NICE CAMERA. what kind u have??

Racerx250
02-17-2009, 11:00 PM
hmm. that *****. I haven't had any temperature problems w/ my hsk's. But then again houston weather ***** balls. Always hot. Its February and its 65 outside.

Etac
02-18-2009, 02:13 AM
you must of been a little rough on them tho when it was like -25 out ;)

dafobbishon3
02-18-2009, 02:14 AM
hmm. that *****. I haven't had any temperature problems w/ my hsk's. But then again houston weather ***** balls. Always hot. Its February and its 65 outside.

x2

headless
02-18-2009, 09:36 AM
wow, those are fvcked. Did that all happen merely from them being frozen, or did playing them while they were frozen solid cause that?

lrc131
02-18-2009, 09:48 AM
that is a NICE CAMERA. what kind u have??

Canon EOS Rebel XS with the kit lens

i would kill for that!

wow, those are fvcked. Did that all happen merely from them being frozen, or did playing them while they were frozen solid cause that?

well, you cant really even tell when you start your car that anything is wrong so you go driving along happily listening to music and after a while you start to hear a VERY faint rattle. It sounds like something in the door or the panel so i didnt think anything of it. It then later turns into a nice and loud slapping noise:laugh:

t-money
02-18-2009, 12:03 PM
thats *****. I live in canada and it gets really really cold. I have had 0 issued with my mlk 165's and trust me, we've had some **** cold weather. You're the first person i heard with that problem.:confused:

lrc131
02-19-2009, 11:32 AM
thats *****. I live in canada and it gets really really cold. I have had 0 issued with my mlk 165's and trust me, we've had some **** cold weather. You're the first person i heard with that problem.:confused:

idk, my dealer said that there were people up in Calgary with the same problem...

bamaboy
02-19-2009, 07:24 PM
you know how cold it gets down here in alabama, should i be worried:p:

havnt had any problems with my MLK2's, glad they got it taken care of for you, hertz is a great company

you have the same camera as me, just bought it right after christmas, got the kit and a 70-300mm
love it, perfect for my needs

lrc131
02-20-2009, 10:54 PM
you know how cold it gets down here in alabama, should i be worried:p:

havnt had any problems with my MLK2's, glad they got it taken care of for you, hertz is a great company

you have the same camera as me, just bought it right after christmas, got the kit and a 70-300mm
love it, perfect for my needs

yeah, hertz has great support for their products. Unfortunately the replacements with the new surround material aren't going to be any better:crap: I placed them in my freezer before work to test them out before i went through the trouble of installing them and having these do the same thing. I took them out after work and guess what... solid. I had to push WAY harder than one should have to to make the cone move. My dealer is being really understanding and helpful though. They are letting me exchange them for something else or give me a full refund. Now I need to figure out what to get.:confused:

I love it too! i want to get the cheap 50mm prime lens. I heard it takes amazingly crisp pictures for its price.(<$100)

SQPL
02-20-2009, 11:32 PM
yeah, hertz has great support for their products. Unfortunately the replacements with the new surround material aren't going to be any better:crap: I placed them in my freezer before work to test them out before i went through the trouble of installing them and having these do the same thing. I took them out after work and guess what... solid. I had to push WAY harder than one should have to to make the cone move. My dealer is being really understanding and helpful though. They are letting me exchange them for something else or give me a full refund. Now I need to figure out what to get.:confused:

I love it too! i want to get the cheap 50mm prime lens. I heard it takes amazingly crisp pictures for its price.(<$100)

too bad to hear that man! did you took pictures after bringing out from the freezer?

Have you tried to put any other speakers on the freezer just to compare if the problem is unique to the MLKs? :rolleyes:

lrc131
02-20-2009, 11:51 PM
too bad to hear that man! did you took pictures after bringing out from the freezer?

Have you tried to put any other speakers on the freezer just to compare if the problem is unique to the MLKs? :rolleyes:

i didnt take any post freezer pictures. But, they dont look any different. The only way to show this would be with a video and i dont have a vid cam.

well, no, i havn't put any other speakers in the freezer. I have, however, had many different brands/models of speakers in my cars in similar weather and have not experienced this. My dealer also said that in his 20+ years owning his shop, he has only once before seen a speaker freeze. So I am confident that this is unique to the MLKs. I wish it wasn't. I loved this comp set. Best I've had, period.:(

Brian_smith06
02-20-2009, 11:58 PM
d@mn that *****. i hope that doesnt happen to my xs mids

bamaboy
02-21-2009, 10:23 AM

dang, oh well

im wanting a 50mm too, niftyfifty lens, im waiting for someone to sell a used one for cheap but noone ever really sells it once they have it