PDA

View Full Version : Do I put 3 way componenets into my 2009 VW GLI?

csnut18
02-17-2009, 03:35 PM
My 09 gli comes from the factory with a 3 way set up front as well as 2 ways in each door. The two front doors each have a 6.5 inch speaker, a 3-4" midrange as well as a tweeter. The rear doors each have a 6.5" speaker as well as a tweeter in them.

Which is a better route. Do I go with 3 way components up front as well as 2 way components in the back or do I simply install a regular 2 way component set up front just pretending It only came with 8 speaker openings from the factory? Is their a real benefit to slapping in a 3 way component set up front? Thanks

csnut18
02-17-2009, 03:55 PM
Anyone have any advice for me?

okiedokie
02-17-2009, 03:58 PM
wow they put a lot of speakers in that car,doesnt your gti come with dynaudio???

csnut18
02-17-2009, 04:01 PM
No, it does not have dynaudio, not even close. It has 10 speakers but it's the basic system that goes in any typical jetta. It's the passat that has dynaudio. The stereo in this car *****, trust me.

budahbuddy803
02-17-2009, 04:03 PM
If i were you and already had existing holes cut for 3 way up front i would 100% replace the factory speakers with an aftermarket 3-way setup up front. I might even make the existing 6.5" hole an 8" hole and run 1 8" 1 3-4" and 1 tweeter per front door. This will require deadening, good processing, and nice power for it to work out as close to perfection as possible.

As far as the back i would either leave it stock or take it out. I wouldn't waste anymore on rear anything.

I think if i had a 3-way setup up front i wouldn't even run a subwoofer.... Maybe 1 10" sealed to hit 10-60hz, but that is a little ridiculous i think.

shaneb
02-17-2009, 04:04 PM
a 2 way system will be much simpler to install. It will take some fabrication on your part probably to get a mid-range that fits that opening on the dash.

budahbuddy803
02-17-2009, 04:07 PM
a 2 way system will be much simpler to install. It will take some fabrication on your part probably to get a mid-range that fits that opening on the dash.

yes, a 2way would be A LOT easier. In all reality all you would have to do is unscrew and screw the speakers and crossovers.... i like to make things a lot more complicated though;)

csnut18
02-17-2009, 04:07 PM
Well, I am getting it installed by a great shop so I won't be getting my hands dirty lol. I will probably go with a CDT HD-642 3 way component set up front. How do you think that compares with a set of DLS Iridium 6.3i's?

okiedokie
02-17-2009, 04:25 PM
get the cdt es line, or dls

csnut18
02-17-2009, 04:33 PM
get the cdt es line, or dls

I think the Es is now called the CDT Gold line. My electrical system can't afford to send the over 250 watts rms per side that the cdt gold line likes and that is before we even consider the price of those speakers. So you are really saying that the DLS Iridiums are better than the HD-642 3 ways? Even though they are not the cdt gold line but I have heard they are quite good.

cx-7heaven
02-17-2009, 04:39 PM
I think the Es is now called the CDT Gold line. My electrical system can't afford to send the over 250 watts rms per side that the cdt gold line likes and that is before we even consider the price of those speakers. So you are really saying that the DLS Iridiums are better than the HD-642 3 ways? Even though they are not the cdt gold line but I have heard they are quite good.

I'm assuming you have stock electrical and stock system at this time? I have a hard time believing that your stock elec couldnt handle a 500 watt a/b amp on it to drive your mids. I had 2 sundown 100.2 on stock electrical, and it didnt even think about hurting it. The alt ususally has some overhead on any car.

okiedokie
02-17-2009, 05:06 PM
i'm useing the newer cdtes62i mids which i'm sending them aroun 160 per side, yes they like it.
if you where to power them you wouldn't need 250 per side, 250 @ 100hz, you wont have much midbass.
you need to do the big three, no matter what amount of power you will be feeding any comps, or subs,
listen what sounds go to your ears. your ears cant lie to what sounds go to you.

gorillajoe
02-17-2009, 05:55 PM
I have an 05 vw tdi that also has the the 3 ways up front and the 2 ways in the rear. I was actually going to do the same thing you said with 2 ways in each door because i cant seem to find any good 3 way setup for a reasonable price. not to mention alot of people seem to down 3 ways on this forum supposedly because of the difficulty to setup.

i have the stock alt in my tdi that runs 2 batteries, a hifonics bxi1600, and now a kicker zx650.4 and its been going strong with no problems and my lights hardly ever dim unless i have my stuff turned really loud, i am wanting to find a HO tho just to make sure there is never an alt problem.

also i know your car is 4 years newer then mine but how in the hell did you get the **** door panels off?? i am having a hell of a time popping these things off, i have taken them off an older model vw before but cant get these **** things off

lyttleviet
02-17-2009, 07:27 PM
I'd definitely get a 3 way setup if your factory system already allows for it.

Fiercetimbo17
02-17-2009, 08:41 PM
A correctly installed 2 way will out perform mediocre installed 3 way.
Also the factory locations with indash midranges may work for the factory speakers but might not with another brand.
Also i liked my cdt es643's, i have a dls ir8 midbass on the way so i can tell you how the midbass compared between the two when i get them installed.

bass_lover1
02-17-2009, 10:58 PM

The mid isn't on the dash. Please, if you're going to recommend that he do something at least have a slight idea of the situation at hand.

yes, a 2way would be A LOT easier. In all reality all you would have to do is unscrew and screw the speakers and crossovers.... i like to make things a lot more complicated though;)

Two way, normally would be easier to setup and get sounding decent. In his case an easy two way setup is going to be 3.5-4" mid and 1" tweet. The midbass is firing into his butt cheek, so a 6.5" two way comp set is going to **** horribly, unless he gets the shop to do custom door pods to move the midbass more up front.

A correctly installed 2 way will out perform mediocre installed 3 way.
Also the factory locations with indash midranges may work for the factory speakers but might not with another brand.
Also i liked my cdt es643's, i have a dls ir8 midbass on the way so i can tell you how the midbass compared between the two when i get them installed.

Again, there aren't any speakers on the dash. Midbass is by the *** cheek, midrange is a bit below the window sil, and the tweet is in the sail panel.

gorillajoe
02-18-2009, 08:15 PM
I personally am not to concerned about midbass in my vw (mostly cuz my Power T2 handles all the bass i want) but i would rather not have my speakers blowing into my *** and i dont have the money or the know how to fabricate some speaker holes, could i get a 6.5 2 way and just add another speaker to the crossover (i am not running active) in that 3.5-4" hole???

Moonraker
02-19-2009, 07:22 PM
A friend of mine has a three way set up by Focal in his Golf ( is a GLI a Golf ) in the stock door locations. Speakers are simply let down by the locations which are crap, but hey it has ten speakers right :rolleyes: .

As said woofer at the back of the door, has a mid just forward of your ears and a tweeter in the mirror panel. He is sticking with the speakers which we know can perform given the chance but he is building a pod for the mid and tweeter to go on the very outside corners of the dashboard which is nice and deep :) should give nice staging and hopefully reasonably good imaging due to the deep dash, if he can get them right back in the corners anyhow :rolleyes: