PDA

View Full Version : What should i seal the inside of my box with

I Like Waffle
02-16-2009, 09:37 PM
I asked in another thread but noone replied so imma try again. What can i pick up from walmart that will seal the **** outta the inside of my box? Ive seen alot of people use some type of white silicone caulk stuff it looks like, what is that? I just need to know what to use so i dont mess up my first real box build. :)

I have a few things right now i could use, if any will work

Liquid Nails
Gorilla Glue
Titebond II
Elmers heavy duty wood filler

:confused:

audiobahnuser18
02-16-2009, 09:38 PM
Liquidnails , tightbond those both work great. Also if your going into SPL comps do resin;).

PaulThompson229
02-16-2009, 09:39 PM
You mean airproofing? I use Dap clear window silicone.

I Like Waffle
02-16-2009, 09:54 PM
I have some of that window silicone too. Will it adhere to the surface if it already has titebond on it?

PaulThompson229
02-16-2009, 09:55 PM
Yep yep

Cravingbass123
02-16-2009, 09:59 PM
i think sealing the inner joints is pointless if you use adequate glue for the joints from the start.

waste of time IMO
most of the time the glue beads over into the inside of the box anyways........

PaulThompson229
02-16-2009, 10:01 PM
Eh, not all cuts are absolutely perfect, even if you can't see them there still might be tiny gaps, and its cheap enough that it couldn't hurt to just go ahead and do it.

IDSkoT
02-16-2009, 10:02 PM
i think sealing the inner joints is pointless if you use adequate glue for the joints from the start.

waste of time IMO
most of the time the glue beads over into the inside of the box anyways........

That's why you leave the box building to us, big boy.

And like I said in the last thread... put a nice bead of wood glue in the joint, then put mad dust in there, and compress... repeat if necessary.

Rashaddd
02-16-2009, 10:06 PM

And like I said in the last thread... put a nice bead of wood glue in the joint, then put mad dust in there, and compress... repeat if necessary.

He's right :fyi:

the glue is a seal in itself between the two surfaces and unless you have poor cuts/joints, silicone is really unnecessary, but like said above, it doesn't hurt to take the extra precaution if you're worried about it, or just dont trust your gluing/jointing job

Rashaddd
02-16-2009, 10:11 PM
Not to mention, unless it's huge gaps, we're talkin about less than 10th's on a meter, and a very slight drop in tuning.

on my current box (the one built in my trunk), I have leakage out the ***. Effective tuning is about 4hz under calculated tuning and it's doing decent numbers for the equipment/install.

ssackett
02-16-2009, 10:13 PM
Stapples and silly puddy??

profundus-sanus
02-16-2009, 10:18 PM
resin :)

I Like Waffle
02-16-2009, 10:19 PM
ill use more tite bond or gorilla glue if i run out of tite bond. Ive had good results with both of them. Or would the silicone be better?

sexiewasd
02-16-2009, 10:22 PM
I used kitty hair on the edges of my box, but I have a habit of over doing things for no reason.

aturcotte127317
02-16-2009, 10:27 PM
silicone based caulk is what i like to use. then resin all the insides, and resin 45s if you have left overs.

Cravingbass123
02-16-2009, 10:43 PM

ur useless to this forum,,, u act like you know what ur talking about, but you prob have next to no experience in actually doing it, or that is at least how you sound in most of ur posts that i have seen.