PDA

View Full Version : Elemental 15A box Question

BumpinDoug
08-22-2003, 01:34 PM
Okay, Im getting two 15's and I want to port them, the problem is I only have a 35" wide trunk space to work with. Assuming it has a 3" port, and 3/4 MDF is used for the slot port and the walls of the box, that would leave 14.5" left for each sub. However, the radius of the mounting hole only needs to be 14" each. So therefore that would leave a 1/4" between the mouting hole and the wall on the inside on either side of the hole. Also, there would only be a half inch between the end of the actual sub and the end of the box. Is a quater inch enough room to mount these subs, and is a half inch enough room between the sub and the end of the box? Psyically, it would fit, but that could mean drilling into the MDF used for the side of the box and the port sideways...so could that damage or make the board split down the road?

I just want to know if this will work and sound good. The total dimensions of the box would be 35 wide X 17.5 tall x 17.5 deep....about 4.3 cubes with displacement, tuned to 32HZ...

Everyone please put in any input you have.

Randy Savage
08-22-2003, 04:17 PM
4.3 after all displacements should be fine...

Just when mounting the sub be careful that you don't split the wood when screwing into it, considering you have such little room with the walls there...

BumpinDoug
08-26-2003, 09:07 PM
Anyone else know anything about mounting it so close to the side of the box?

namster44
08-26-2003, 09:19 PM
I dunno about that man, that's real close to each other, I know the holes are going to fit the sub, but with the surround and stuff, it will be iffy.

BumpinDoug
08-26-2003, 10:00 PM
The subs wont be next to each other cause the port will be in the middle, if viewed from above the box with the top off it would go like this...

3/4" of MDf, then 14.5" of space (14" of which will be used on the front baffle to mount the sub), then 3/4" MDF for the port, then a 3" port, then 3/4" MDF for the other wall of the port, then 14.5" of space for the other sub, and finally 3/4" of MDF for the other wall. That all wokrs out to 35" which is all I have to work with. This leaves .25" on either side of the sub on the interior of the box, and .5" on either side of both subs viewed from the outside. Anyone else know if this would work or not? I know ED subs perform well in small enclosures....and itd still be about 4.3 cubes, width is the problem. Would it be better to use 1" MDF on the front baffle so that there would be a less chance of the wood splitting? Cuase with the two subs cutout and the hole for the port, theres really not gonna be all that much wood on the front baffle to begin with, so would it be wiser to go with 1"? And is this box even gonna work?