PDA

View Full Version : Super-efficient comps for active setup

beatle
02-15-2009, 11:05 AM
I have an Alpine 9835 that I'm currently use to drive a pair of Crystal SSX615 coaxials. They sound very nice, but I'm thinking of putting them in my wife's Civic and getting some comps for me to run in active mode off the juice from the headunit (26w rms x 4). I've read that a lot of people like the ID OEM drivers and the price isn't too bad. However, most people seem to say they need gobs of power despite their 91db efficiency.

If I can get away with driving them with my headunit (and they fit in my car), what tweeter pairs well with them? If you say I'll need more current, what are some mids and tweets that will work with what I have? I'm being restrictive as the car is a Miata and I'm currently not willing to sacrifice cargo space in the trunk for an amp.

mlstrass
02-15-2009, 01:14 PM
amp under the seat or under the hood. Plenty of place to put a small 4 channel to run active...

beatle
02-15-2009, 01:37 PM
I'm guessing you haven't been in many Miatas. :) There is literally a jewel case's worth of vertical space under each seat. Two cases will not fit.

That's the first time I've heard about putting an amp under the hood. No worries from road grit, water, hot temperatures, etc? Again, not much room for much more than an ARC Mini.

JayRich
02-15-2009, 01:40 PM
I'm guessing you haven't been in many Miatas. :) There is literally a jewel case's worth of vertical space under each seat. Two cases will not fit.

That's the first time I've heard about putting an amp under the hood. No worries from road grit, water, hot temperatures, etc? Again, not much room for much more than an ARC Mini.

I was thinking the same thing

okiedokie
02-15-2009, 03:03 PM
http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=13

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=8500

beatle
02-16-2009, 01:31 AM
Those are some giant tweeters! As good as they might sound, I'm trying to keep a lower profile.

I haven't found much info on the Mach 5 mids. They have lower sensitivity than the CX64s - are they really a better choice overall? I know they're inexpensive but how do they compare?

Blue Fury
02-16-2009, 01:38 AM
amp under the seat or under the hood. Plenty of place to put a small 4 channel to run active...

I would never put any of my amp under the hood.