PDA

View Full Version : no spark

randy24fan
02-14-2009, 11:21 PM
Hi, I just got a 95 sable from my brother,, it wont start he was told it needed a fuel pump so i droped the tank to change the pump and discovered that the fuel pump was good after futher investigation i found no spark to the plugs i was told the the fuel pump shuts down if the engine has no spark for safety reasons but i cant figure out why there is no spark any info would help ..thanks its a 3.8 6cyl digital dash .....thanks

revrider1
02-14-2009, 11:22 PM
Timing Belt/Chain? Bad Rotor? Distributor? Coil?

dman4486
02-14-2009, 11:27 PM
pull the ignition module and coil and take them to the autoparts store....they can test them for you...

edit: if they say they can't, then show them on the screen where it says more info at the bottom:fyi:

Jason19
02-14-2009, 11:42 PM
could be alot of different things best thing to do it put it on a tester it sound tell you whats wronge

geowick07
02-14-2009, 11:47 PM
Had the same symptoms on a Pontiac Grand Am just recently. Turned out to be the crank sensor. $20 part, 4 hours of BS getting it switched out.
Also, as stated above, get the coil/ignition module tested. Could be any of these issues.

geo

randy24fan
02-15-2009, 10:12 PM
well, today I tried a new coil, new (icm), new pickup coil. all with negative results. autozone doesn't list a crank sensor for this car some i am assuming it doesn't have one if anyone knows that is not correct please let me know and where it is located if there is one that would be the only thing at this point that i didnt change. ofcourse i took the parts that didnt make a diffrence back off and put the old ones back on assuming they were still good. Not sure if that was the right thing to do but I did anyway ...STILL PERPLEXED!!!

dman4486
02-15-2009, 10:37 PM
well, today I tried a new coil, new (icm), new pickup coil. all with negative results. autozone doesn't list a crank sensor for this car some i am assuming it doesn't have one if anyone knows that is not correct please let me know and where it is located if there is one that would be the only thing at this point that i didnt change. ofcourse i took the parts that didnt make a diffrence back off and put the old ones back on assuming they were still good. Not sure if that was the right thing to do but I did anyway ...STILL PERPLEXED!!!

no there is not a crank position sensor on that car. did you have your module tested?

randy24fan
02-16-2009, 09:38 AM
i put a brand new one in the car and it didnt help but to answer your question ..no i didnt have it tested

ThatChevyGuy
02-16-2009, 01:51 PM
thats why you get it tested FIRST.

Saves money.

randy24fan
02-16-2009, 03:30 PM
my battery isnt so good but I assume that wouldnt have any effect on the spark.

dman4486
02-16-2009, 03:31 PM
my battery isnt so good but I assume that wouldnt have any effect on the spark.

define not so good?

does it turn over the motor?

randy24fan
02-16-2009, 04:27 PM
i have to to put a jumper pack on it to turn it over

andrew198501
02-16-2009, 04:32 PM
Check your wiring you could have a busted fuseable link (had that problem in a 95 F-150)

audioatg
02-16-2009, 07:16 PM
Ask autozone there to scan your can for codes. I might of miss it if you didnt do that already. No spark sounds like

Check this. Seen this Constant Control Relay Module
1995 Mercury Sable 3.8L, Vin 4

Mileage: 133192

Customer Concern: No start, no spark, and no fuel pump operation when the ignition key is turned to the run position or when cranking. The Vehicle Power (VPWR) circuit on the Red (R) wire of the fuel injectors is showing no voltage. The Red/Light Green (R/LG) wire at the ignition coil has battery voltage.

Tests/Procedures: 1. Check for voltage at the Yellow (YL) wire, from the 30 amp PCM Relay/Fuel Pump fuse of the under hood box, at pins 8 and 12 of the Constant Control Relay Module (CCRM), located on top of the radiator support.

2. Check for a ground at pin 15 of the CCRM on a Black/Light Green (BK/LG) wire.

3. Verify power is present at the ignition coil on the Red/Light Green (RD/LG) wire from the IGN COIL fuse in the under hood fuse box.

4. If there is no power at the YL wires of the CCRM per step 1, but the fuse checks OK, locate C116 and inspect for a corrosion or poor connection problem causing loss of power through the connection.

5. If there is no power on the YL wire at C116, flip the engine compartment fuse box over and inspect the circuit for a problem coming off of the fuse holder.

Potential Causes: Constant Control Relay Module (CCRM)
Constant Control Relay Module (CCRM) circuit
Constant Control Relay Module (CCRM) connection

** Confirmed Fix **
Repaired wiring harness

Tech Tips: C116 is a 3-terminal round connector located between the battery and the radiator support. It contains the YL wire and two BK/OR wires. Repair information: A replacement wire was ran between the fuse box and the CCRM to bypass the problem in the YL wire.

randy24fan
02-17-2009, 10:00 AM
I'll give this a try hopefully this is the answer i was looking for ...I'll keep ya updated, thanks

audioatg
02-17-2009, 02:59 PM
I'll give this a try hopefully this is the answer i was looking for ...I'll keep ya updated, thanks

I put in your problem and alot of this ( Constant Control Relay Module (CCRM))))
came up for being the problem.

denim
03-15-2009, 02:14 PM
Welcome to CA.