PDA

View Full Version : need to build a subbox onto the cab of my truck

cx-7heaven
02-13-2009, 11:06 PM
I want to build a sealed box behind the back seat of my 08 Dakota Crew Cab. There is VERY little space back there, to the point that to get my airspace, I need to get rid of the back wall of the box. My idea is to use some damplifier pro or spectrum sludge on the cab wall to create the back wall of the enclosure. Am I on the right track? Or is there a better way to do this. This is the only location I can use, due to restrictions from my wife.

Thanks
Rob

DonH
02-13-2009, 11:36 PM
nild a box in the bed and port it through or put the box in your wifes seat and shove her behind the seats haha jkjk. that might work im not to sure thou. better off glassing the whole back with arcs extending out on both sides then drilling in the box to that then sludging or sealing up real tight

budahbuddy803
02-13-2009, 11:39 PM
yeah, i think fiberglass is the best way to go for behind the rear seat! Probably the cleanest, most functional, box you can get back there.

Bake
02-13-2009, 11:48 PM
Actually I had one in my regular cab just like you are talking about. I used rubberized undercoating on the cab wall to deaden it some and to seal the box to it. This was fifteen years ago and I'm sure the newer products would do a better job.

Fiberglassing the back wall is another option but it could be expensive. And it isn't easy to fiberglass on vertical surfaces.

cx-7heaven
02-13-2009, 11:53 PM
I considered glassing it, but came up with the same thing, and then I would have to deaden it anyway, or else the box would buzz on the cab something aweful. I would use the deadener to prevent some of the flex more than sealing, there are glues and silicones that will do a good job of that. I havent mocked it up yet, I may be able to build a complete box, I'm just gathering info right now.

Bake
02-14-2009, 12:00 AM
I used silicone to seal the box to the cab wall. It really shouldn't flex too bad. The are designed to be pretty stiff.

If you can get the room to make the back out of MDF but want to save a little leg room You can cut a small section out of the back of the box and fiberglass a pocket for the base of the sub.

cx-7heaven
02-14-2009, 12:02 AM
I used silicone to seal the box to the cab wall. It really shouldn't flex too bad. The are designed to be pretty stiff.

If you can get the room to make the back out of MDF but want to save a little leg room You can cut a small section out of the back of the box and fiberglass a pocket for the base of the sub.

Good idea on that.