PDA

View Full Version : type r component problem

asianinvasion21
02-13-2009, 08:44 PM
i may have posted this in the wrong section before. however, just recently i have installed a pair of type r components in my car. i am powering them with a crunch amplifier (P1100.2). im pretty sure this amp is not meant to power component speakers. dont get me wrong the type r components sound a lot nicer than my previous speakers. however i believe they can sound better. when i turn up the volume the highs start to sound a bit harsh and piercing for my liking. i was wondering how i should set up the amplifier, or would it just be better to buy a different amplifier for the speakers. any suggestions would be helpful thx.

Here are some of the X over specs
* Mono/Stereo Switch
* HP/LP/Full-Pass Freq. Selections
* Crossover Frequency Adjustments:
* (60 Hz to 1.2kHz)
* (30 Hz to 250 Hz Low-Pass *)
* Adjustable (60Hz to 150Hz) & Include Variable Subsonic Filter (15Hz to 55Hz)
* Input Level Control (0.2 to 5V)

HAVINGFUN
02-14-2009, 01:48 PM
On the Type R crossovers there is a DB setting for the tweeters. They go from 0 dbs to -8 dbs. I have mine on -8 and it made a world of difference. This is on CD music but if you listen to radio or XM then a setting of -4dbs might sound a little better since XM is dull sounding. Put the amp crossover around 70hz High Pass and that should work well.

Also turn down your gain on your amp by about 25% and then crank up the volume and see if that sounds better but the main problem is the db setting on your crossovers for tweeters.

TheeyaN
02-14-2009, 02:11 PM
How much power r u giving to the components?

And yes -4DB for the tweets,maybe even ''more minus'' lol

asianinvasion21
02-17-2009, 10:04 PM
im not sure on the exact power but around 100 watts i think. ill change the db when i get a chance this weekend. thx for all the suggestions.

beatle
02-18-2009, 12:39 PM
I had a set of Type R components a few years ago. I agree that they were incredibly harsh initially, however they really mellowed out after a week or so of listening.

TheeyaN
02-18-2009, 12:43 PM
Few years ago r types were rated at 50w rms, now they r rated at 110 wrms