PDA

View Full Version : Midbass ?'s

boomzilla
02-12-2009, 12:08 PM
I was searching around trying to find out more about midbass, and all I could really gather from all the info I read is that I'll need good power, speakers MADE for midbass, and a good solid install.
So, the other questions I need answered are: Where are midbass frequencies crossed over at? (I think I had seen it was 200hz, but I'm not sure)
And would midbass speakers be better for sound imaging in the kicks or the doors? I'll play around and see what's best, but want to get a good starting point.

Thanks.

FoxPro5
02-12-2009, 12:24 PM
Where are midbass frequencies crossed over at? (I think I had seen it was 200hz, but I'm not sure)
Sounds good.

And would midbass speakers be better for sound imaging in the kicks or the doors? Kicks all day everyday and twice on Sunday's.

C3 Customs
02-12-2009, 12:27 PM
Check these out Bravox Audio EXS6 (http://www.bravox.com.br/produtos/e2kexp_mb6.asp)

If interested send me a pm

boomzilla
02-12-2009, 12:32 PM
Sounds good.

Kicks all day everyday and twice on Sunday's.

Sweet, was hoping I had the frequency right. So basically any speaker with a solid 200hz response can be used as mid-bass right?

And I have plenty of room in my kicks, hopefully enough for some 8's.

Check these out Bravox Audio EXS6 (http://www.bravox.com.br/produtos/e2kexp_mb6.asp)

Gonna check them out after I post this. Thanks guys!

boomzilla
02-12-2009, 12:36 PM

Look pretty nice, are they 8's or 6's?

C3 Customs
02-12-2009, 12:37 PM
6"

boomzilla
02-12-2009, 12:39 PM
6"

Ah, Looking for something a little bigger once I find out some more options with what I can do. I'm just gathering info right now for my new build later on this year.

FoxPro5
02-12-2009, 12:56 PM
So basically any speaker with a solid 200hz response can be used as mid-bass right?

I don't know about any speaker. What's the rest of your system like? Where will you HP the MB and LP the sub? Which vehicle? It all plays apart in properly setting it up.

And yea, try BravoX. They're the best, just look at that guy's sig! :rolleyes:

boomzilla
02-12-2009, 01:08 PM
I don't know about any speaker. What's the rest of your system like? Where will you HP the MB and LP the sub? Which vehicle? It all plays apart in properly setting it up.

And yea, try BravoX. They're the best, just look at that guy's sig! :rolleyes:

Right now I'm worrying about the frontstage, I'm re-building everything from the start. It'll be going in a Cavalier, and I won't be too sure where to hp the mids and lp the sub(s) until I get them installed. This will be my first 'real' try at a good sounding, loud, and clean (hopefully) build. But I don't know much as far as sq and the full frontstage (mid bass, mid, and high), and I wanna try a hand at it.

C3 Customs
02-12-2009, 01:25 PM
Bravox is just an option,

I would define the best=" As what fits your needs and what you are willing to pay for."

James Bang
02-12-2009, 01:28 PM
get a taste of good midbass and it'll have you craving more. Better than subbass :) almost on par with ***, but not quite.

James Bang
02-12-2009, 01:29 PM
bravox, PLUG it and play. :p

FoxPro5
02-12-2009, 02:01 PM
Bravox is just an option,

I would define the best=" As what fits your needs and what you are willing to pay for."

So then list some in addition to the brand you're repping? What you're doing is annoying and you look like a jerkoff, fyi.

boom: I understand where you're at, but do you have any drivers in mind so far? What's your budget? And I'm assuming you'll be running a sub, too? In this case, I also assume you'll have the necessary 4-way active processing to make it happen.

BravoX = booms like so.

James Bang
02-12-2009, 02:32 PM
So then list some in addition to the brand you're repping? What you're doing is annoying and you look like a jerkoff, fyi.

I would have to agree.

put a plug in it? shamelessly.

bikinpunk
02-12-2009, 03:18 PM
for the record…

midbass does not = subbass playing out of your 6.5’s.

/

C3 Customs
02-12-2009, 03:31 PM
As it may be true I have listed only one option thus far, it is also very true that everyone else thus far has not listed any options.

Image Dynamics CX62/CX64
Morel HYBRID OVATION WOOFER 6", SUPREMO SW 6" WOOFER, CDM-88 MIDRANGE,
Genesis Absolute 12m midrange driver

To name a few other options...

bikinpunk
02-12-2009, 03:36 PM
As it may be true I have listed only one option thus far, it is also very true that everyone else thus far has not listed any options.

Image Dynamics CX62/CX64
Morel HYBRID OVATION WOOFER 6", SUPREMO SW 6" WOOFER, CDM-88 MIDRANGE,
Genesis Absolute 12m midrange driver

To name a few other options...

why are you naming midrange drivers for a midbass?

:confused:

C3 Customs
02-12-2009, 03:38 PM
it may be something he may want to look into....

NeverEnuffBass
02-12-2009, 03:41 PM
Morel Elate 9

Loud3
02-12-2009, 03:43 PM
...is this where I offer other options, as well?

James Bang
02-12-2009, 03:53 PM
...is this where I offer other options, as well?

this is where you STFU

FoxPro5
02-12-2009, 04:00 PM

Great advice. He's going to go from a set of entry level PG components to a pair of the best midrange drivers you can put in your car. Makes a lot of sense to me...esp in a thread about midbass.

lambo37
02-12-2009, 04:03 PM
wow this the dude in the bagged corvette convo in the classifieds....good laughs in their, just an fyi to everyone.

James Bang
02-12-2009, 04:40 PM
wow this the dude in the bagged corvette convo in the classifieds....good laughs in their, just an fyi to everyone.

their where? :crazy:

bikinpunk
02-12-2009, 10:04 PM

FOR MIDBASSES?!

Seriously? a 12m for 50/60hz? Really?

No... REALLY?

I own those mids. I wouldn't cross them any lower than 160hz with a brick wall crossover and never play them above moderate volume. NO WAY would I run them down into the midbass range.

James Bang
02-12-2009, 10:12 PM
No way jose. I like midbass drivers for midbass. also, the bigger the better imo.

Loud3
02-12-2009, 10:17 PM

...but I know the difference between a '51 mercury and an 'old mercedes.'

boomzilla
02-13-2009, 12:58 AM
for the record…

midbass does not = subbass playing out of your 6.5’s.

/

I know. Just wanting to know more about where a good crossover point is for solid mid-bass, as well as what speakers will perform the best.

boom: I understand where you're at, but do you have any drivers in mind so far? What's your budget? And I'm assuming you'll be running a sub, too? In this case, I also assume you'll have the necessary 4-way active processing to make it happen.
I was thinking some ID OEM 6.5's or bigger if they make them, or if someone can suggest another known midbass driver, please do so. My budget is around $150 I can go higher if need be. As for subs, I may run 2 10's, 1000rms to each. I kinda want my substage to be rock solid and very powerful, and have the frontstage still be able to be heard decently clean. As for processing, I was looking at some AudioControl stuff, what would you suggest as far as that goes?

okiedokie
02-13-2009, 02:15 AM
http://www.hybrid-audio.com/Legatia%20L8.pdf

boomzilla
02-13-2009, 10:18 AM
I like that hybrid, I've also heard some good things. Well, I've narrowed down how I want to do this, If I get midbasses more than 6'', they're going in the kicks, and I'll have a dedicated midbass in the kick, midrange in the door, tweets above the midrange. If I buy a driver that has good midbass/midrange reproduction, I'll throw them in the doors, so I have room for my feet still.

James Bang
02-13-2009, 11:14 AM
If you go with kicks, make sure you have plenty of airspace and vent the mids well... I learned the hard way.

boomzilla
02-13-2009, 11:18 AM
Ok. So should I just go a tiny bit above manufacturer recommended specs for the pod?

James Bang
02-13-2009, 11:22 AM
Ok. So should I just go a tiny bit above manufacturer recommended specs for the pod?

i personally prefer vented when mids are in the kicks. But some like sealed pods for more puchiness i guess.

Why not have the midbasses in the doors and midrange in the kicks? The further your Midranges and tweets are the better.

boomzilla
02-13-2009, 11:26 AM
i personally prefer vented when mids are in the kicks. But some like sealed pods for more puchiness i guess.

Why not have the midbasses in the doors and midrange in the kicks? The further your Midranges and tweets are the better.

Oh, didn't know you meant vent in that way. But I guess I could do it that way too. Once I get all the equipment, I'm gonna move them around the doors to get the best sound for me. Just need help going though it and picking out speakers.

James Bang
02-13-2009, 11:40 AM
Oh I meant to vent them as to have them act as they are playing free-air. Depending on the driver you choose, you can always make a sealed pod first and vent it after to see the difference... If sealed is preferred you can easily seal it back up.

Either way, I'd suggest dedicated midbass in the doors with midranges in the kicks.

DEdwards
02-13-2009, 11:40 AM
I second the L8 or even the L6. Both can play very low with authority.

James Bang
02-13-2009, 11:41 AM

Indeed. With the L8, a sub wouldn't really be needed depending on your listening tastes.

DEdwards
02-13-2009, 11:44 AM
Indeed. With the L8, a sub wouldn't really be needed depending on your listening tastes.

:D

chozen1
02-13-2009, 11:45 AM
midbass is great

boomzilla
02-13-2009, 11:57 AM

Sweet. I still want a substage though, can't live without some woofers in the back. I run my sub amp on a switch, so It's never on all the time. Basically I would use the midbass to it's full potential while just listening to my fronts, which is what I do at work. I drive for Domino's right now, and there's alot of not-so-good neighborhoods around. Those areas I don't even have my radio on period, but in the better areas I only play my fronts, no need for added attention with bass, ontop of being the pizza guy. And when I'm away from home, I would cut the lower midbass to a respectable level, and turn my subs on.

DEdwards
02-13-2009, 12:03 PM
I believe what he is say, James correct me if I am wrong, is that you would not need to run a sub but if you choose to you can.

James Bang
02-13-2009, 12:15 PM
I believe what he is say, James correct me if I am wrong, is that you would not need to run a sub but if you choose to you can.

with mids that can play down to 20hz... subs are optional :p:

bdawson72
02-13-2009, 12:20 PM
This makes me want to get another 100.2 and use l8's as dedicated midbasses.

Thanks guys.

James Bang
02-13-2009, 12:21 PM
This makes me want to get andother 100.2 and use l8's as dedicated midbasses.

Thanks guys.

dont' be pussay

bdawson72
02-13-2009, 12:23 PM
dont' be pussay

Lol, what are your thoughts then?

James Bang
02-13-2009, 12:31 PM
Lol, what are your thoughts then?

nike. just do it.

FoxPro5
02-13-2009, 06:25 PM
The L8's may be able too eek down to 40hz, but I don't think they will give you subwoofer-like output performance down there. I personally don't think you should go subless with them.

And, yes what JB was saying about putting the MR's in the kicks and MB's in the doors will yield better results then vice versa.

Also, there's a world of difference between a 6.5" dedicated MB and an 8." If you're looking for punch and dynamics, then I really don't think 6.5" will be worth a **** if you can fit an 8.

WrenchGuy
02-13-2009, 06:29 PM
Kicks all day everyday and twice on Sunday's.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't get my 10" to fit there:D

DEdwards
02-13-2009, 06:30 PM
If vented and installed correctly the L8's can and will play VERY low....Dave Brooks's truck made a believer of me on that...

James Bang
02-13-2009, 06:33 PM
If vented and installed correctly the L8's can and will play VERY low....Dave Brooks's truck made a believer of me on that...

As I said a sub would be optional, i forgot to say I'd still prefer one :p:

DEdwards
02-13-2009, 06:35 PM
yeah his 10 L8's and 2 10's and a single 15 do some serious damage down low....

FoxPro5
02-13-2009, 06:35 PM

Common dude, Brooks has A DOZEN of them! :rolleyes:

I like the L8 and found it to be a very solid performer. But, the fact is that it's a simple paper cone driver with nothing really special in it's design. I know Scott has done what he could do to make the SRP on them more realistic, but for my money, he had better vent the VC or slap a neo magnet on them or something for their $500/pr price tag. Screw the trophies, that IB woofer is worth $250, IMHO. Yes I've used it and yes I put a lot of power on it and yes my doors are dead and yes I've used many other "top" midbasses on the market. FYI. :)

DEdwards
02-13-2009, 06:37 PM
Common dude, Brooks has A DOZEN of them! :rolleyes:

I like the L8 and found it to be a very solid performer. But, the fact is that it's a simple paper cone driver with nothing really special in it's design. I know Scott has done what he could do to make the SRP on them more realistic, but for my money, he had better vent the VC or slap a neo magnet on them or something for their $500/pr price tag. Screw the trophies, that IB woofer is worth $250, IMHO. Yes I've used it and yes I put a lot of power on it and yes my doors are dead and yes I've used many other "top" midbasses on the market. FYI. :)

not doubting you at all. Scott and me both agree that you should use a sub with any of our sets.

FoxPro5
02-13-2009, 06:41 PM
As I said a sub would be optional, i forgot to say I'd still prefer one :p:
Optionally necessary? :p:

I ran the L8 down to 40 hz second order and it just cannot do it like a champ. It's nice, it's plenty capable but it's not the holy grail. Also, when you start locating 40 cycles next to your legs the experience is ruined. You should feel those frequencies, not be able to point to them and say "hi there sub freq!" :wave: ;) IMHO. IMHO. IMHO. ;)

James Bang
02-13-2009, 06:43 PM
i know what you mean. tRdoc said it was a waste for me to have 10"s in my doors and have them crossed high at 63hz... ^^that was basically my reason for doing so.

Beerdrnkr
02-13-2009, 09:39 PM
yeah his 10 L8's and 2 10's and a single 15 do some serious damage down low....

Geez, how much processing is involved in doing something like that and how close does he xover all of those drivers?

DEdwards
02-13-2009, 10:28 PM
Alpine F1 and 10 Genesis Duel monoblock amps

Flipx99
02-13-2009, 10:36 PM
Gah...tis thread means no hope of subless front stage...was eyeing some cmass 8s in the doors, 6.5s in the kicks....but now seems like a moot point of the 8s in the doors are going to get me an additional 10-15 hertz tops.

James Bang
02-13-2009, 11:52 PM
Gah...tis thread means no hope of subless front stage...was eyeing some cmass 8s in the doors, 6.5s in the kicks....but now seems like a moot point of the 8s in the doors are going to get me an additional 10-15 hertz tops.

sounds like a plan.

just add a slim sub or two behind your seats.

squeak9798
02-14-2009, 11:47 AM
So the Bravox guy gets chastised for recommending Bravox, but when Dave Edwards recommends Hybrid everyone just agrees with him

In a McDonald's world, this thread would have looked like this;

List some in addition to the brand you're repping? What you're doing is annoying and you look like a jerkoff, fyi.

Hybrid = booms like so.

It apparently applies to Bavox, but not Holy Grail Audio....err, I mean, Hybrid Audio ?

DEdwards
02-14-2009, 12:02 PM
So the Bravox guy gets chastised for recommending Bravox, but when Dave Edwards recommends Hybrid everyone just agrees with him

List some in addition to the brand you're repping? What you're doing is annoying and you look like a jerkoff, fyi.

Hybrid = booms like so.

It apparently applies to Bavox, but not Holy Grail Audio....err, I mean, Hybrid Audio ?

sorry if it comes off that way but from the installs I have heard they do sound good.Judges must think so too. there are alot of very good speakers out there(Peerless,Scans,even Vifa) but I have not heard as many installs done with those drivers, so I didn't want to comment on drivers I have not had that much experiance with....
I have yet to hear any Bravox speakers, they might be the end all be all.
I am a firm believer in making sure the install is of the highest quality. I have heard a $40 frontstage sound great BTW.
hope this clears it up:D

squeak9798
02-14-2009, 12:25 PM
sorry if it comes off that way but from the installs I have heard they do sound good.Judges must think so too. there are alot of very good speakers out there(Peerless,Scans,even Vifa) but I have not heard as many installs done with those drivers, so I didn't want to comment on drivers I have not had that much experiance with....
I have yet to hear any Bravox speakers, they might be the end all be all.
I am a firm believer in making sure the install is of the highest quality. I have heard a $40 frontstage sound great BTW.
hope this clears it up:D

My post wasn't really directed at you, instead at the hypocrisy of "other members" (*cough* Fox ).

All I did was copy-n-paste Fox's quote from earlier in the thread that was directed at the Bravox guy when he did the exact same thing you did :)

DEdwards
02-14-2009, 12:43 PM
:popcorn:

FoxPro5
02-14-2009, 04:34 PM
My post wasn't really directed at you, instead at the hypocrisy of "other members" (*cough* Fox ).

Wait, you're calling me a hypocrite after you read everything I said in this thread, or just what you selectively read? You're loosing it, bro. :crap:

Maybe you could make a recommendation or two for our friend here, Squeak? Based on your experience with the products listed? Or not, or whatever......:rolleyes:

Maybe the OP should build a Bravobrid X system with no subs and Squakinator SQ amps?

squeak9798
02-14-2009, 06:00 PM
Maybe the OP should build a Bravobrid X system with no subs and Squakinator SQ amps?

Shows how much you know. The Squeakinator is a subwoofer, not an amplifier!

We had planned to make some SQ amps, but they all sounded the same :crap:

;)

Where are midbass frequencies crossed over at? (I think I had seen it was 200hz, but I'm not sure)

Depends on what frequency range the other drivers in your system can comfortable cover. If you're using a smaller mid that can't do well below ~400hz, then they'd probably need to be crossed a little higher.

And would midbass speakers be better for sound imaging in the kicks or the doors?

If you can fit them in your kicks along with everything else, that's the way to go.

If you don't have enough room in the kicks due to your midrange drivers, in a properly built door with time alignment is a good option as well.

I wouldn't do the doors if you didn't have T/A though.

FoxPro5
02-15-2009, 12:54 PM
We had planned to make some SQ amps, but they all sounded the same :crap:

Umm, that's a good thing. Silly n00bx. Squeakinator QA FTW. :p:

boomzilla
02-17-2009, 10:51 PM
double post ftl

boomzilla
02-17-2009, 10:54 PM
Depends on what frequency range the other drivers in your system can comfortable cover. If you're using a smaller mid that can't do well below ~400hz, then they'd probably need to be crossed a little higher.

If you can fit them in your kicks along with everything else, that's the way to go.
If you don't have enough room in the kicks due to your midrange drivers, in a properly built door with time alignment is a good option as well.

I have a set of PG RSD's, 5.25''. I might be able to go bigger, it's just my window comes real close to the motor of the mid, and my door panel sits kinda close to the inside of the door. So I needed a small but capable mid, and seeing the reviews I got them. But I can't seem to get midbass and have bass to go with it (the setting that controls the umph i need from my mids also messes with my sub output, making it really distorted and muddy sounding. When the gain is backed down to level everything out, the bass still doesn't sound as I want it too.) I've played with all of the settings on my hu and amp, and can't get it to sound right.

in2bass
02-19-2009, 11:52 AM
I'm also in search of more midbass, I currently have a JL 13W7 (sealed) & JL 1000/1 mono-block amp , Pioneer 5x7's speakers in rear ,and the 4 stock mach460 speakers in the doors (speaker in door and tweeters near the mirrors).. the JL pounds deep clean bass but is lacking in the midbass range, I have it crossed at the recommended 80hz. the amp's LPF is disabled I'm using the deck's LPF setting (Pioneer Premier P690UB)

Would replacing the door speakers with specific midbass drivers do the trick? (and add another amp to drive them of course) ..is doors the best place? i'm not sure where the best placement would be.

C3 Customs
02-27-2009, 02:57 AM
So I have a general question "Do people here speakers in the kick panels if your door speakers are already low enough(location wise)?' This is of course assuming you are running a midbass in the door already and/or comps/midrange in the a-pillar already.

Hybrid = booms like so.

It apparently applies to Bravox, but not Holy Grail Audio....err, I mean, Hybrid Audio ?

Bravox has been around so long (since 1953) that many prefer to look at the latest and greatest and have not really heard any decent SQ setups with the equipment in the US, plus it has only been available in the US in the name Bravox(since 2004). They have been a build house for many of the brands on the market today from Harmon Kardom to Mb Quartand numerous other brands over the years. So when people are looking for more information, the only thing I can say is that you have probably heard Bravox speakers before and never realized it. So I am working along with others to change the Bravox audio experience.

James Bang
02-27-2009, 11:30 AM
did someone say kicks?

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a11/mobster909/New%20install/IMG00304.jpg

bikinpunk
02-27-2009, 12:04 PM
did someone say kicks?

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b138/bikinpunk/civic%20install/kickpanels/DSCN0269.jpg

James Bang
02-27-2009, 12:15 PM
sexay

FoxPro5
02-27-2009, 12:21 PM
Not sexay, but I made my kicks out of Tupperware. :emb::emb::emb::veryhapp:

James Bang
02-27-2009, 12:44 PM
at least it'll be keep them sounding "fresh"

silenkiller
03-01-2009, 06:31 PM
what about CDT m6+'s?

oldschoolboomer
03-01-2009, 06:31 PM
kicker ssmb6's 50 shipped!

RAM_Designs
03-01-2009, 06:49 PM
Dayton RS225

boomzilla
03-02-2009, 11:04 AM
kicker ssmb6's 50 shipped!

PM me on the Kicker's, I'm looking for those! or I'll PM you.

C3 Customs
03-08-2009, 08:36 AM
Have you made a decision yet?

C3 Customs
03-18-2009, 02:08 PM
Any updates?