PDA

View Full Version : The Art of Box Making

Enellz
02-12-2009, 11:07 AM
Well today Im going to pick up some things from Lowes to start my build for my 2 12" HDC3's tomorrow. Also to pick out a new circular saw my girl is getting me for Birthday;). So Im more or less looking for pointers or any techniques people use into making these boxes. They seem straight forward, only thing that bothers me is how do you cut the wood, or even cut it with, that goes into the corner of the box that helps with the air flow. I know its suppose to be at 45 degrees, but is there a special tool you use to achieve that? Also does anyone have any recommendations on glue, circular saw, jigsaws, etc. they use and like.

Enellz

infamous_e46
02-12-2009, 11:09 AM
you going to put a slice of ham and cheese and some bread in the backseat and make a sammich

schrummy
02-12-2009, 11:10 AM
a table saw can cut at 45 but so can a circular saw.

Enellz
02-12-2009, 11:12 AM
a table saw can cut at 45 but so can a circular saw.

so I can get a circular saw that angles the blade?

you going to put a slice of ham and cheese and some bread in the backseat and make a sammich

I might try PB&J this time

king nothing
02-12-2009, 11:12 AM
make sure you make a nice straight cut guide for your circ saw. I cut a 2 inch strip off of the edge of my MDF that I used to clamp to the wood for a guide. Turns out it was flexing in the middle when I was making cuts and my cuts didnt turn out straight. The box went together OK but I had to use clamps to pull some of the pieces in place for screws

Rashaddd
02-12-2009, 11:29 AM
I'm pretty sure at least 90% of circ saws can angle the blade, I've never seen one that can't.

GearGuy2001
02-12-2009, 11:32 AM
I'm pretty sure at least 90% of circ saws can angle the blade, I've never seen one that can't.

ditto

Enellz
02-12-2009, 12:49 PM

Ok I'm a look out for them. I'll probally browse the site on lunch.

ls2poweredgoat
02-12-2009, 12:53 PM
Just get a circular saw at Wal-Mart, that's what I've been using for years now. Just be sure to pick up a nice DeWault blade.

Blade > Saw

ls2poweredgoat
02-12-2009, 12:55 PM
No need to use a straight edge, just focus on the line drawn and ALWAYS account for blade width when making your measurements/cuts.

DonH
02-12-2009, 02:30 PM
No need to use a straight edge, just focus on the line drawn and ALWAYS account for blade width when making your measurements/cuts.

:D

what he said! hey check CL you can find great deals on there! unless you want a new one haha.

also practice cutting a little bit before you jump right into cutting for your box! next thing you know you have got a box looking all curvy nd ****!

roarzorz
02-12-2009, 05:45 PM
Perfect cuts every time.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b126/derrick824/100_2072.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b126/derrick824/100_2073.jpg

You can use that same method except angle the blade on your saw for your 45* cuts. Then cut the pieces to length.

jvk5o1
02-12-2009, 08:08 PM
liquid nails for glue. most circular saw and jig saws come with rip gids to help with straight cuts. i would also recommend corner clamps a least 2

Pioneer~Saturn
02-12-2009, 08:10 PM
liquid nails for glue. most circular saw and jig saws come with rip gids to help with straight cuts. i would also recommend corner clamps a least 2

I would have to disagree..

JBLCAMRY
02-12-2009, 09:37 PM

:laugh:

NO

bjfish11
02-12-2009, 09:39 PM
No on Liquid nails... and if you are using a circ saw, you really should use a guide. Straight pieces are KEY to a good build.

dbeez
02-12-2009, 10:51 PM
and plenty of clamps...

MasterOfAllBass
02-13-2009, 12:15 AM
Perfect cuts every time.

You can use that same method except angle the blade on your saw for your 45* cuts. Then cut the pieces to length.

thats how i do it. awsome

Enellz
02-13-2009, 10:29 AM
**** wish I knew they had a guide before I spent that time cutting some pieces LOL.

roarzorz
02-13-2009, 01:00 PM
That aluminum guide only cost a few bucks at Lowes. The pair of clamps were like $20. They're well worth the money.

TwoEggCustoms
02-13-2009, 07:21 PM
teh hell with liquid nails that sh*t is poo use titebond wood glue

tyler_fitz
02-13-2009, 07:24 PM

WRONG! It actually says on the label not for use on MDF...

19992wdtaco
02-15-2009, 01:37 AM
What type of circular saw blade do you guys use? Do they make them MDF specific with a certain style and teeth count?

IDSkoT
02-15-2009, 05:31 PM
Well today Im going to pick up some things from Lowes to start my build for my 2 12" HDC3's tomorrow. Also to pick out a new circular saw my girl is getting me for Birthday;). So Im more or less looking for pointers or any techniques people use into making these boxes. They seem straight forward, only thing that bothers me is how do you cut the wood, or even cut it with, that goes into the corner of the box that helps with the air flow. I know its suppose to be at 45 degrees, but is there a special tool you use to achieve that? Also does anyone have any recommendations on glue, circular saw, jigsaws, etc. they use and like.

Enellz

Get a Tablesaw. /thread

Nah, you need a guide... and a good design.
As for the 45* angles, most people don't do it properly... and it ends up being more of a detriment than a help. You're SUPPOSED to make it so that the port is the same width through out the whole port. (That's the point of them, and to ease the moving air for the turn) You have to cut the other side of the port to make sure the port is the same size through out the whole box. It takes a lot of work, actually... a lot of miniscule cuts to get it perfect... which most people don't do... and it ends up bottle necking the air.

But the 45* angles will be tough with a table saw. Unless you make them wide, then it won't be too bad... but you'll have to take more off the other side of the port.

wasted ink
02-15-2009, 05:39 PM
Get a Tablesaw. /thread

Nah, you need a guide... and a good design.
As for the 45* angles, most people don't do it properly... and it ends up being more of a detriment than a help. You're SUPPOSED to make it so that the port is the same width through out the whole port. (That's the point of them, and to ease the moving air for the turn) You have to cut the other side of the port to make sure the port is the same size through out the whole box. It takes a lot of work, actually... a lot of miniscule cuts to get it perfect... which most people don't do... and it ends up bottle necking the air.

But the 45* angles will be tough with a table saw. Unless you make them wide, then it won't be too bad... but you'll have to take more off the other side of the port.

VERY true. You're one of the few people that seem to know that.

OP - Check it...

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb107/s13driftfiend/013-1.jpg
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb107/s13driftfiend/014-1.jpg
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb107/s13driftfiend/016-1.jpg
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb107/s13driftfiend/015-1.jpg

Psycareyo
02-18-2009, 12:18 PM
Pretty cool thread. I can see I have a lot to learn before I attack my box build this summer.

IDSkoT
02-18-2009, 01:15 PM
VERY true. You're one of the few people that seem to know that.

I actually learned it from you. :laugh:
I saw one of your threads and I was like, "Wow, that's really dope." Then I realized that if you don't do that, the port width isn't the same through out, so it ends up compressing at the elbow.

Trey803
02-18-2009, 01:19 PM
your first box most likely won't be that great and will need lots of caulk(unless you have an awesome table saw with huge extensions on it) The more you build the better they get.

Enellz
02-18-2009, 01:19 PM
Mods should sticky this. This is good info

wasted ink
02-18-2009, 01:55 PM
I actually learned it from you. :laugh:
I saw one of your threads and I was like, "Wow, that's really dope." Then I realized that if you don't do that, the port width isn't the same through out, so it ends up compressing at the elbow.

Haha, that's some funny ****.

Not only does it affect flow (even if it is just minor) but the port area changes, thus changing the tuning.

When measuring port area for square ports, width is obviously a factor. When calculating, you're assuming the width is the same the whole way through the port, giving you an accurate port area, and your desired tuning frequency. If the width is changed at all, it changes the area.

This may not be super important all the time, but for the amount of times that i've seen it neglected, it worries me.

Tehgregzor
02-18-2009, 02:07 PM
good advice, wasted ink. I had never really thought about the width before. I think i'll stick to other people making boxes for me, while i fix their computer :)

DDSC
02-18-2009, 02:13 PM
ok heres another question, how does making the port longer or shorted or wider and narrower effect tuning, In particular I have a kicker box with a 7" wide (inside) areoport thats about a 1-1.5 ft long. any guestamates on the tuning???

Enellz
02-18-2009, 02:45 PM
What's the outside demension of the box? Also somebody sticky this, I'll clean it up since I'm the OP

wasted ink
02-18-2009, 02:54 PM
Instead of stickying this, we could start a different thread with a more organzied list of things, maybe different steps and precautions. I've seen too many "My first box build" threads where big mistakes were made because of simple negligence. It could be a list of important things to remember when building, or something similar. Just an idea.

Pioneer~Saturn
02-18-2009, 02:58 PM
ok heres another question, how does making the port longer or shorted or wider and narrower effect tuning, In particular I have a kicker box with a 7" wide (inside) areoport thats about a 1-1.5 ft long. any guestamates on the tuning???

Longer and smaller the port area = lower tuning

Shorter and larger the port area is = higher tuning

And if you have all the specs on that box I could tell you in a second what the tuning is..

TwoEggCustoms
02-18-2009, 03:53 PM
Instead of stickying this, we could start a different thread with a more organzied list of things, maybe different steps and precautions. I've seen too many "My first box build" threads where big mistakes were made because of simple negligence. It could be a list of important things to remember when building, or something similar. Just an idea.

ill second that motion this answers alot of questions asked over and over

Enellz
02-18-2009, 04:11 PM
yeah I'll do that instead, more than likely take some quotes from her and paste them over

roarzorz
02-18-2009, 04:26 PM
Even if this was stickied newbs would still ask the same questions over and over as well as still make the same mistakes over and over. Newbs don't read stickies.

Psycareyo
02-18-2009, 04:48 PM
I'm a noob and I read stickies!

wasted ink
02-18-2009, 04:52 PM
Even if this was stickied newbs would still ask the same questions over and over as well as still make the same mistakes over and over. Newbs don't read stickies.

True that... Drives me insane...

Fiercetimbo17
02-18-2009, 04:58 PM
Another tip, be patient, if it takes you all day to build the box dont worry about it.
Double check all your math and calculations. Last thing you wanna do is spend all day cutting to figure out you did some incorrect math.

Also making a cut sheet helps utilize your wood to its best ability. Some programs will do it for you, but you can easily do it yourself.

And remember to account for the blade, typically most blades are 1/8" thick so just remember you will lose that on every cut. I know this has got me once or twice

DDSC
02-18-2009, 09:09 PM
my first box was ugly as hell and all outta line on one corner, luckly it was just the bottom baffel just a lil to long on one corner.

But it wanged to all hell, 2.5 cubes at 28hz hits reallllllly low in a 96 grand prix

JBLCAMRY
02-18-2009, 09:11 PM

Sad, but very true. :crap:

DDSC
02-19-2009, 01:34 AM
Longer and smaller the port area = lower tuning

Shorter and larger the port area is = higher tuning

And if you have all the specs on that box I could tell you in a second what the tuning is..

box is W- 32", H - 16", front of box is slanted. Top is 14" deep and bottom is 17" deep front to back, the front baffle is recessed about a 1/4 inch and the port is 7" wide and inbetween 12-18" deep

Another tip, be patient, if it takes you all day to build the box dont worry about it.
Double check all your math and calculations. Last thing you wanna do is spend all day cutting to figure out you did some incorrect math.

Also making a cut sheet helps utilize your wood to its best ability. Some programs will do it for you, but you can easily do it yourself.

And remember to account for the blade, typically most blades are 1/8" thick so just remember you will lose that on every cut. I know this has got me once or twice

Truf, my first box was a rush job just cause I was anxious to get it in, my second box was the best one I've made yet, sadly it didnt fit through the trunk openings so I had to sell it:crying: it was so smooth all over and sounded lovely
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR5YfFLxkIE

low00ranger
02-20-2009, 11:55 PM
That aluminum guide only cost a few bucks at Lowes. The pair of clamps were like $20. They're well worth the money.

Where can I find that guide at Lowe's? Or, just something similar to it. I asked around today and none of the employees had any idea.

CJL
06-08-2009, 04:48 AM
Perfect cuts every time.

What is the official name of that piece? Just ''aluminum saw guide''?

dappa5
06-08-2009, 09:57 AM
thats nice and all but if your gonna get serious Get serious lolhttp://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv50/DAPPA5/IMG00029.jpg

roarzorz
06-09-2009, 06:45 PM
What is the official name of that piece? Just ''aluminum saw guide''?

Something like that. I bought them at Lowe's. You get two of those aluminum guides and a connecting piece for like $17. There located in the tool section along with other guides, straight edges, and table saw attachments.

Pioneer~Saturn
06-09-2009, 06:49 PM
I'll be moving shops tomorrow...hopefully I can, once again, make enclosures :)

...it's been far too long :crap: :(

iamamp3pimp
06-09-2009, 06:51 PM
I have mastered the art of box making....

now if i can master the art of advertising, then id have a problem of having somewhere to build.

Pioneer~Saturn
06-09-2009, 06:55 PM
I have mastered the art of box making....

now if i can master the art of advertising, then id have a problem of having somewhere to build.

Rent out a place ;) It's really nice having a shop, and really not that expensive.

snb778
06-09-2009, 07:04 PM
what are the better saw blades to use for the circle saws?

audioarsonal
06-09-2009, 07:07 PM
Harbor freight also has those guides.They actually have ones that clamp down themsleves, rather then needing the clamps.

DonH
06-09-2009, 07:11 PM
i cant wait to start building again now that college is out!! so stoked lol...

also its always good to have not only a table saw but a circular saw so when it comes time to make the first cut you can cut the big *** piece of mdf in half (or where ever) and work with that

oldschoolboomer
06-09-2009, 07:15 PM
Ive built probably 400-500 boxes through the years. garage ftw!!

Pioneer~Saturn
06-09-2009, 07:17 PM
i cant wait to start building again now that college is out!! so stoked lol...

also its always good to have not only a table saw but a circular saw so when it comes time to make the first cut you can cut the big *** piece of mdf in half (or where ever) and work with that

Cool, you just can't beat making enclosures :cool:

I might even invest in a panel-saw like at home depot for this new shop :)...should really make things easy as pie and wont take up jack for space since its just on the wall.

oldschoolboomer
06-09-2009, 07:19 PM
1 - table saw
2 - circulars
1 - router
4 - drills
1 - belt sander
4 - orbitals
1 - rotozip
1 - dremel
1 - grinder
1 - compressor
1 - nailer
20+ - years experience

mix em all up and you get boxes quick!!

Pioneer~Saturn
06-09-2009, 07:38 PM
1 - table saw
2 - circulars
1 - router
4 - drills
1 - belt sander
4 - orbitals
1 - rotozip
1 - dremel
1 - grinder
1 - compressor
1 - nailer
20+ - years experience

mix em all up and you get boxes quick!!

For show :cool:

Now just get a few router tables and a couple more routers...one having a roundover bit always on it, the other has a 45 degree bit that's always on it (or for those who are picky...a 45 degree chamfer bit :) )...just zip the pieces you need 45'ed through the one and rounded pieces through the other...dont even have to mess with tilting the blade on the tables saw/circular and dont have to even get a router and roundover the pieces...just turn um on and zip um through :)...that's what im hoping to have setup in the future for teh uber speedz n sexyness'z.. :naughty:

DonH
06-09-2009, 07:43 PM
Cool, you just can't beat making enclosures :cool:

I might even invest in a panel-saw like at home depot for this new shop :)...should really make things easy as pie and wont take up jack for space since its just on the wall.

a guy was selling one on cl that i passed up. im shooting myself in the foot now!!! :laugh:

basebalz13
06-09-2009, 07:55 PM
Perfect cuts every time.

i have the same thing FYI :)

Pioneer~Saturn
06-09-2009, 07:56 PM
a guy was selling one on cl that i passed up. im shooting myself in the foot now!!! :laugh:

I was renting out a 2.5 car garage that also had a 2 car garage-sized loft above it...it was freakin nice!...could pull the car in to work on it etc, all the storage you needed upstairs, like 16 outlets on multiple breakers so I could have tons of current being drawn without an issue, tube lighting covering the ceiling was really nice for working and great for clear pics...I really hate leaving :crap:

^crap, at first I was thinking you were talking about someone had shop-space for sale :(..lol, but youre talking about the panel saw, im on the ball today :crazy:

But yea, a panel saw would make things really nice

snb778
06-09-2009, 08:03 PM
circle saw blades for MDF... anyone