PDA

View Full Version : help w/ free 0.9 cube @ 35hz box plan at sticky

beyap
02-11-2009, 03:07 PM
This is the free plan:
http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/7449/09cubes35hz21sqinom0.png

My questions are, how thick a board do i use and how do i modify this to tune it at 30hz?

I'm looking to make a box between 0.75^ - 1^ tuned at 30hz.

DonH
02-11-2009, 03:10 PM
the board you use it 3/4" MDF! can use Birch as well. also why do you want 30hz? wut sub is going in here?

PioneerSPL1990
02-11-2009, 04:43 PM
a longer port will get lower Fq (Hz) try an online calculator from the12volt.com and plug in the numbers given to see if it matches the just twek the port legnth, and add it to port inside.

beyap
02-11-2009, 10:58 PM
the board you use it 3/4" MDF! can use Birch as well. also why do you want 30hz? wut sub is going in here?

Thanks! A 10" RE SR. I listen to mostly R&B and Rap so i figure tuning it at 30hz would give me louder and lower bass.

a longer port will get lower Fq (Hz) try an online calculator from the12volt.com and plug in the numbers given to see if it matches the just twek the port legnth, and add it to port inside.

so, basically, i just add another loop to extend the tunnel based on the calculation and that would give me a "longer port"/ the frequency i want, right?

Could i reduce the box volume making it 0.75^ instead without adjusting the port width (while extending the port tuning it to 33hz-30hz) or would that screw up the sound output?

I'm basically trying to decide between a custom 0.75^ @ 30hz box or the manufacturer recommended 1^ @ 35hz. I want to keep the box as small as possible.

I've also tried using the L-port design calculator on RE's site but i'm confused on a couple of things. I read somewhere there's a minimum port area and port width, and the box designs come up with have a port width of 1" and a port area of 9.5". Won't this cause a lot of whistle/noise?

GearGuy2001
02-12-2009, 11:41 AM
I have 2 RE SR 10s, because my box is a midport its kinda like 2 l-port boxes glued together, each sub has a chamber about 1.05 cubes and the port is tuned to 33hz

beyap
02-12-2009, 12:20 PM
I have 2 RE SR 10s, because my box is a midport its kinda like 2 l-port boxes glued together, each sub has a chamber about 1.05 cubes and the port is tuned to 33hz

What's your square port width? Is 1.5 ok or should it be at least 1.75?

This is the L-ported design (1.05^ @ 33hz) i'm considering:

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e279/firstprotege/box.jpg

beyap
02-12-2009, 02:08 PM
Here's my other box design:

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e279/firstprotege/temp.jpg

Which should i got with, the manufacturer recommended 1.05^ @ 33z which peaks @ ~40hz or 0.75^ @ 28hz with a flatter response?

I listen to mostly R&B but occasionally listen to other stuff...

Suggestions? :)

Alex JB
02-12-2009, 05:04 PM
Why not build it so you can change the port tune insetad then you can find out what suits?
build the L shape port with the outer side wall of the port removeable, that way you could add material to the inner portion of the port, add to the end plate then put the end plate back.

I just built a box with what I thought was exactly what I wanted... I only had it in the truck for a week before it came out to be modified!

beyap
02-12-2009, 10:54 PM
Why not build it so you can change the port tune insetad then you can find out what suits?
build the L shape port with the outer side wall of the port removeable, that way you could add material to the inner portion of the port, add to the end plate then put the end plate back.

I just built a box with what I thought was exactly what I wanted... I only had it in the truck for a week before it came out to be modified!

How do i change the frequency by adding materials to the port and how do i calculate its effects?