PDA

View Full Version : Questions/opinions on going Active

tuff57
02-10-2009, 06:54 PM
well first off my car is an 85 monte carlo i have 2 12 inch ses, i have hertz 6x9s for a rear fill infinity 3.5s for the dash and i want to add door speakers
i don't really have a ton of money to spend i was hoping like $500 give or take for the whole setup

my 2 options are building this
http://www.lowridermagazine.com/tech/0609_lrm_customizing_door_panel/index.html

or buying these

http://www.dixiemontecarlodepot.com/items/DM03040.html

i want to lean towards the first option because i wouldn't really have to use deadender right? for speakers I'm probably going to go with image dynamics ctx65s with the tweeters in the a pillers powered by a audioque 4x90
i have a kenwood excelon x792 head unit is this an active unit?
and how hard would it be to set the crossovers for a 16 year old kid who knoes i guess average car audio it's just changing the crossovers on the h.u and listening for what sounds right?

937DYTBOI
02-10-2009, 06:56 PM
i would go for the first option also,

tuff57
02-10-2009, 10:23 PM
bumpppppppppppppppp?

bmoney9
02-10-2009, 10:27 PM
first option..its not hard at all..its fun doing your own work

JimJ
02-10-2009, 10:27 PM
Edit - just read the issue with kickpods. Still, I bet there's a way :)

If you're going to do doorpods, at least make an attempt to blend them in with the door, not like in that article. And stick with one set of drivers per frequency range, if accurate imaging is anywhere a priority.

shaneb
02-10-2009, 10:33 PM
If I were you, considering the fabrication is a must do probably. I would do a pair of 6.5 components with the tweets both in the kickpanel. Or like Jim said, you can add large format tweets in the dash.
But for point source's sake, tweets in the kick panel also will possible make it easiest for tuning...

tez4life
02-10-2009, 10:37 PM
Edit - just read the issue with kickpods. Still, I bet there's a way :)

If you're going to do doorpods, at least make an attempt to blend them in with the door, not like in that article. And stick with one set of drivers per frequency range, if accurate imaging is anywhere a priority.

Very solid advice here....