PDA

View Full Version : heres a curly one!

geoff-nz
02-10-2009, 05:10 PM
I posted this on another forum with no luck, but this place seems busier so maybe someone will take pity and help me out..................................

I currently have a cheap lanzar viberant BW1240 1000W Sub in my motorhome. Unfortunately I have no specs to design a ported cab (I have searched the internet for days and contacted the manufacturer with no luck. Currenly it resides in a 40ltr unsealed box(its not ported, just has a 3" hole in it!. With the interior volume (approx. 6x2.5x2.5mtr) of the vehicle I was hoping that a ported enclosure would sound slightly bigger.
Is anyone able to supply specs or recommend a website with specs or even a rule of thumb that will "do"? All I require is a nice even quality big bass sound, not SPL . I generally listen to rock/blues
It is loud but the enclosure is built real crappy and ported with a single 3" hole and no tube and I want to replace it with a custom box which will suit my speaker. I need the thiele/small specs to calculate the new box parameters.

My 2nd problem concerns the 6x9's.
These are installed in a wall cavity only 40mm thick using spacers 40mm deep to aid the fit. The wall is of 4mm ply, 40mm foam sandwich construction. I have managed to excavate the wall cavity to about 250mm x 350mm x 40mm .The speakers are pioneer TS 6977. They are the older deep framed speaker 60W RMS. I am assuming the crappy sound is a result of the almost non-existant cavity behind them. Can this cavity be ported in someway to imprve the bass response. The sound at the moment is very plasticky if that makes any sense to you, not the nice clear bass sound I am used to with these speakers.
They are very loud, just not having the warm bass I would expect.
I was given these without the manual so have no idea of minimum enclosure size.

Head deck is a crappy Kingstech 40w only runnig door speakers( these $30nzd door speakers sound heaps better than the 6x9,sedit. just brought soundstream DVD head deck

The 6 x 9 and sub are driven off an avalanche AV430 4ch amp with the sub channel bridged to run at approx :confused:100W rms??. These power specs are a guestimate as once again I inherited the amp with no papers or specs attached.

The amp and subs etc are wired with a 8g wiring kit running off 2 batteries so I dont think power issues are involved. I would have expected an out of phase speaker but I have checked for polarity/phase problems and all is good there.

Well, a real curly one for my 1st post suggestions would be much appreciated

Thanks

Geoff

So maybe you cant help with the install but you have the specs for this sub. Please post them and I will design my own cab.

subzero
02-11-2009, 08:34 PM
:crazy: Dude, First use standard measurements... Second, That subs is old and Lanzar has scince probly moved on. Try going with a 1 1/2 sq ft box ported to 38 maybe. Those 6x9's, trash em and go buy good one and if you have that much space in there then you need to build a box for them and mount it in the wall. Generally 6x9's are made to utilize the air space of a trunk. Use your judgement on how you want it to sound. That amp is hard to find as well, Your best bet is to only go down to 4 ohms on a bridge, and 2ohms on a four channel setup. If it sound crappy at lil more then half, amps probly crap. If I was you I would just start from scratch and get everything new. Soundstream is a good choice. IMO

Have all you power checked too, just cause you have two batts dont mean your in the clear.... Good luck

IDSkoT
02-11-2009, 08:37 PM
:crazy: Dude, First use standard measurements... Second, That subs is old and Lanzar has scince probly moved on. Try going with a 1 1/2 sq ft box ported to 38 maybe. Those 6x9's, trash em and go buy good one and if you have that much space in there then you need to build a box for them and mount it in the wall. Generally 6x9's are made to utilize the air space of a trunk. Use your judgement on how you want it to sound. That amp is hard to find as well, Your best bet is to only go down to 4 ohms on a bridge, and 2ohms on a four channel setup. If it sound crappy at lil more then half, amps probly crap. If I was you I would just start from scratch and get everything new. Soundstream is a good choice. IMO

Have all you power checked too, just cause you have two batts dont mean your in the clear.... Good luck

He lives in New Zealand...

subzero
02-11-2009, 10:17 PM
oh wow, hmm, ok, soory about the over look. :D

TwoEggCustoms
02-13-2009, 07:28 PM
for a sub that old of that design just cover the 3 in hole and run sealed or build a sealed box same with the 6x9s run em sealed in their own boxes and mount the boxes

geoff-nz
02-14-2009, 03:53 PM
Cool, thanks for the replies guys:) turns out it was the **** headunit at fault. The soundstream sounds good!

The 6x9s still arent perfect but much Better (good enough for a motorhome). they still dont quite hit the lows but the sub takes care of that.

Power is good to the sub, amp pumps to about 3/4 volume ,gain set fairly low,(1/3rd)

So,pretty happy here.

geoff-nz
02-14-2009, 04:04 PM
for a sub that old of that design just cover the 3 in hole and run sealed or build a sealed box same with the 6x9s run em sealed in their own boxes and mount the boxes

Thanks, do you have a box size recommendation for the 6x9?

TwoEggCustoms
02-14-2009, 04:44 PM
something like this will work fine it doesnt take much click here (http://www.amazon.com/R-T-6x9-Speaker-Enclosure/dp/B001DXYYS2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1234644083&sr=8-2)