PDA

View Full Version : Spray or not to spray....

namster44
08-19-2003, 04:43 AM
What do you guys think about spray sound deadeners? Like Stingers' spray crap? How does one can compare to some v1.0 edead or what not. I don't have a lot of time to lay down some edead or dampx or some new STFU-80! So if this stuffs good(spray) I'll buy 10 cans and get high off fumes...

paikiah
08-19-2003, 08:14 AM
I've used quite a lot of undercoating spray on various parts of the car and enclosure. I can say aerosol cans are really very limited with the amount they can cover. You'll need quite a lot of coats to get similar results as a damping mat.

If you're gonna use an air compressor to do so, then it's more cost-effective, as those that sell in drums and small cans contain so much more. I used three cans just on the center of the box (where the amp is mounted) and the remaining for the bottom of the faux floor. (couldn't squeeze too many coats out of them either)

GF7PE
08-19-2003, 06:12 PM
I only used it where I had to...goes real fast

jbl_marshall21
08-19-2003, 09:52 PM
I've used quite a lot of undercoating spray on various parts of the car and enclosure. I can say aerosol cans are really very limited with the amount they can cover. You'll need quite a lot of coats to get similar results as a damping mat.

If you're gonna use an air compressor to do so, then it's more cost-effective, as those that sell in drums and small cans contain so much more. I used three cans just on the center of the box (where the amp is mounted) and the remaining for the bottom of the faux floor. (couldn't squeeze too many coats out of them either)

so if i have an air compressor then i guess i would have to buy a gun to shoot the stuff out? right?

namster44
08-19-2003, 09:54 PM
I think i will just go with dampening material, not the spray, or just use the spray where I can't get to.

paikiah
08-19-2003, 10:52 PM
so if i have an air compressor then i guess i would have to buy a gun to shoot the stuff out? right?

erm, yeah... again, not that expensive. If you want to do large areas, you'll want that. If unsure, you can also use a brush, but you gotta make sure you work really quick, cause it'll stiffen quick and I dont' know if acetone will break up that thick lard looking stuff.

A place to start with spraying or painting layers would be your spare tire well fro the OUTSIDE. Yes, the outside, under the car. Practice makes perfect and you'll get the hang of it once you cover the whole area.

somekook
08-22-2003, 10:26 PM
i just ordered some edead... does anyone know how the stuff compaers to dynamat?

namster44
08-22-2003, 10:34 PM
what kind of edead did you order? R we talking about extreme or regular dynamat?