PDA

View Full Version : Narrowed down my choices..a little advice

07ramjam
02-08-2009, 02:52 PM
Man shopping for speakers is a tiresome task.I did enjoy going to the stores to look and listen,but pulling the trigger on a set has been difficult.Anyway I think Ive narrowed it down to a few brands.The problem is that I can only listen to these in a sound board and its very difficult to get a real feel for them so I figured Id use your guys' experiences.Heres my list

Focal 165 Vr's
Jl Audio C-5's
Boston Pro60 SE
Diamond Audio S600s

The prices are all very close.Im going to be running an amp that will give them 200 watts each.Please any and all opinions are welcome.

Thanks

Hoodlum007
02-08-2009, 03:01 PM
Those comps have different sounding tweeters so you should see what you like more. The Focal and Boston have sharp sounding tweeters while the Hex and the JL have smooth.

team3d
02-08-2009, 03:03 PM
Focals are very very sharp sounding.Thats the sound i prefer myself

07ramjam
02-08-2009, 04:01 PM
I defintely like a more laid back tweet.I listen to rock/metal.Would either one of my choices be better suited to my music?

Moonraker
02-08-2009, 05:31 PM
Have only heard the Focals from that list and if you want a laid back sound and you listen to metal I would leave the focals out. Sorry can't speak for the rest.

bread0710
02-08-2009, 06:02 PM
i was in the same boat as you since i cant demo anything really because around here is nothing. i went with boston pro60SEs. i did alot of reading and people said the the tweeter isnt that sharp, and i wanted something alot of people didnt have. BUT i havent installed them yet since its too cold :so i cant tell you how they sound to me :crap:

07ramjam
02-08-2009, 06:28 PM
i was in the same boat as you since i cant demo anything really because around here is nothing. i went with boston pro60SEs. i did alot of reading and people said the the tweeter isnt that sharp, and i wanted something alot of people didnt have. BUT i havent installed them yet since its too cold :so i cant tell you how they sound to me :crap:

Well,what are you waiting for??? I need to know how they sound!!!:D

SQPL
02-08-2009, 06:28 PM
That version of focal is not sharp compared to the 165 V2 which is sharp and the VRs is the upgraded version of the V2s. Never heard the other ones on your list though. I've heard the Hertz HSK 165 and the tweets are laid back for me try if you can audition them.

07ramjam
02-08-2009, 06:29 PM
Have only heard the Focals from that list and if you want a laid back sound and you listen to metal I would leave the focals out. Sorry can't speak for the rest.

Someone else told me the same thing.They said the Focals are more geared toward a more laid back type of music.

07ramjam
02-08-2009, 06:31 PM
That version of focal is not sharp compared to the 165 V2 which is sharp and the VRs is the upgraded version of the V2s. Never heard the other ones on your list though. I've heard the Hertz HSK 165 and the tweets are laid back for me try if you can audition them.

No Ive been trying to find these somewhere.No one has them.As a matter of fact alot of people never even heard of them.

bread0710
02-08-2009, 06:53 PM

haha im sry but its really cold i want to see how they sound also :crying:

SQPL
02-08-2009, 06:56 PM
haha im sry but its really cold i want to see how they sound also :crying:

haha.. I can't wait till spring comes man to install my setup! :D

bread0710
02-08-2009, 08:56 PM
haha.. I can't wait till spring comes man to install my setup! :D

i know what you mean it ***** to wait :( but o well its worth it :)

where in NY do you live?

snb778
02-08-2009, 08:58 PM
pro 60's tweet can get pretty sharp

Jumbo Jet
02-08-2009, 09:18 PM

If you go with Pro 60's be prepared for a very bright tweeter. I just sold my Pro 60's about a month ago for just that reason. At higher volumes the highs would get so harsh that my ears would feel fatigued after a few minutes. I think that is just the nature of Boston's tweeters. Some people like a bright tweeter, but I prefer the smoothness of a silk tweeter myself. The mids sounded great, but their highs are pretty harsh for my tastes.

07ramjam
02-08-2009, 09:28 PM
If you go with Pro 60's be prepared for a very bright tweeter. I just sold my Pro 60's about a month ago for just that reason. At higher volumes the highs would get so harsh that my ears would feel fatigued after a few minutes. I think that is just the nature of Boston's tweeters. Some people like a bright tweeter, but I prefer the smoothness of a silk tweeter myself. The mids sounded great, but their highs are pretty harsh for my tastes.

OK this is some good info.I dont want a harsh tweeter.I spend alot of time commuting and I dont want to have ear fatigue.Then I end up turning it down all the time and that will just **** me off.

brynm
02-08-2009, 09:38 PM
Just pick up a couple of these if the tweets are too bright

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=26

Jumbo Jet
02-08-2009, 09:46 PM
Thats exactly what I would have to do.... turn it down cause my ears would be hurting. I have an older set of Boston Rally 620's that are in place until I get my Rainbow Germaniums in a couple weeks. The highs on the 620's arent as harsh as the Pro 60's.

I got a chance to sit in a buddies truck last week with a set JL C5's with the silk tweeters. Even at near full volumes I felt like I could sit in that truck all day and listen to those speakers.... they were so smooth. For my tastes I'd pick a silk over metal dome any day.

SQPL
02-08-2009, 09:48 PM
i know what you mean it ***** to wait :( but o well its worth it :)

where in NY do you live?

capital region. are you from ny?

07ramjam
02-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Just pick up a couple of these if the tweets are too bright

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=26

With the exception of the price thats a pretty cool thing.

bread0710
02-08-2009, 09:58 PM
capital region. are you from ny?

yea i live in orange country by monroe woodbury.

07ramjam
02-08-2009, 10:00 PM
Thats exactly what I would have to do.... turn it down cause my ears would be hurting. I have an older set of Boston Rally 620's that are in place until I get my Rainbow Germaniums in a couple weeks. The highs on the 620's arent as harsh as the Pro 60's.

I got a chance to sit in a buddies truck last week with a set JL C5's with the silk tweeters. Even at near full volumes I felt like I could sit in that truck all day and listen to those speakers.... they were so smooth. For my tastes I'd pick a silk over metal dome any day.

I have a friend,well its a friend of a friend,who has a brand new in the box C-5's.He wants 200.00 for them.Ive been doing some research on the Diamond Audio stuff as well,Im kind of interested in those too.I can get them(S600s) for 199.00 shipped on Ebay.

Jumbo Jet
02-10-2009, 12:05 AM
My buddy is running his off a JL 300/2 and like I said they sounded pretty good. They have a nice warm, smooth sound to them. We dont have the same tastes in music so what he was sampling for me wasnt my cup of tea, but for what I would play on them they would probably sound amazing.

Moonraker
02-11-2009, 07:18 PM

This is correct, I didn't read the list properly :emb: the V2s are the more lively set, the Vrs are the upgraded ones and they do sound much more balanced.

No Ive been trying to find these somewhere.No one has them.As a matter of fact alot of people never even heard of them.

Do you mean the VRs cos if you do I have a brand new set I don't want, be willing to sell them on for a reasonable price ;)

07ramjam
02-11-2009, 08:14 PM
This is correct, I didn't read the list properly :emb: the V2s are the more lively set, the Vrs are the upgraded ones and they do sound much more balanced.

Do you mean the VRs cos if you do I have a brand new set I don't want, be willing to sell them on for a reasonable price ;)

No I was refering to te Hertz.

papermaker
02-11-2009, 10:28 PM
i like my CDT tweeters. i honestly think they make some of the best tweeters. i am dissappointed with the mid/crossover selection. i have the FG mids with the 450 xover.. and the breakup is very apparant in some music.. if the x over was around 2.5k hz they sound fields better, but the xover 550/525 is outright expensive. i can go active for the same price!

despite that the HD and ES sets are simply some of the best you can buy.. again upgrade the xover to the 550I on any set you get..

next i would recommend image dynamics. the XS set. alot like the CDTs smooth well defined and very forgiving...

DLS Nobelium 6.2 a very nice set.. i thought midbass could be better, but there LOUD extreamly detailed and are dynamic where other sets are flatter.. IE guns shots RING out unlike hte CDTs and IDs its not so dynamic..

the bostons are very nice as well, a ton of midbass good mid range and tweeters are very detailed, just a bit too harsh.. focal is prety similar a bit more punchy and not as brite in the higher frequencies..
my self im going to sell my CDT mids to someone who wants an active set for about 50 bucks..there great mids but they need to be crossed at 2500hz. impressive midbass and midrange just has breakup above 3k...

my next set is probably going to include the CDT ts 25 tweeter and a probably the CDT ES 6.5 mid range..