PDA

View Full Version : What's the best adhesive to use for tweets?

mav2002
08-18-2003, 03:48 PM
Okay, so I am way new to this, but had an install question. I have a 2003 BMW and had my rear tweets replaced. I left my car outside in SoCal the other weekend, and it got upwards of 110 degrees OUTSIDE, which probably means what, 140+ inside? Anyhow, my freakin' tweets basically fell out! After looking more at the tweets, they were hanging by the wires (+/- wires) and it looked as if the adhesive melted away. Do car install shops use adhesive to keep these in place?

If I were to do this myself, what kind of adhesive should I use? In case your wondering, the speakers are Diamond Audio s500s speakers.

Help!

Gauntlet
08-18-2003, 04:27 PM
Go to Home Depot and look around in the glue section and find an epoxy that can withstand very high temperatures...

mav2002
08-18-2003, 11:07 PM
Go to Home Depot and look around in the glue section and find an epoxy that can withstand very high temperatures...

Okay, I'll give that a try. Thanks!

bri487
08-19-2003, 02:08 PM
check out 3M double sided foam mounting tape. this stuff can handle quiet a bit of load on it. also check out 3M's interlocking plastic velcro. i have used this stuff to mount a lot of things, even my ignition in my car. when it came time to remove it, i had to pry it off with a screwdriver, lol

maylar
08-19-2003, 02:15 PM
My vote would be for RTV. Certailnly strong enough for a tweet, good temperature rating, and not totally permanent like epoxy.

bri487
08-19-2003, 04:34 PM
My vote would be for RTV. Certailnly strong enough for a tweet, good temperature rating, and not totally permanent like epoxy.

too messy. and it is too soft, when mounting something, i would want it to for sure stay in the same place i put it. i have used it before and it is not a stable enough base for them to rest on. you would have to mount them two or three times to get the adjustment just perfect, where as velcro or mounting tape would be much easier.