PDA

View Full Version : What kind of wood stain should i use?

Cravingbass123
02-07-2009, 04:00 PM
hey guys what brand/kind of wood stain should i use for my 3 15 box?

gonna take it back out of the jeep and hit it with the stain.

thought minwax would be good, but i heard the **** ***** and doesnt soak up into the wood right.

btw this is for baltic birch and its already been sanded before we put it in so its ready for whatever

plan on making it a dark walnutty stain btw cuz that would look best and reflect less light and everyone says go dark

Cravingbass123
02-07-2009, 04:39 PM
someones gotta know what the good stuff i should use is

bump

mlstrass
02-08-2009, 12:32 AM
I've used oil based and water based minwax with NO problems on BB...

PaulThompson229
02-08-2009, 12:35 AM
X2, I have only used stain a few times and never for a sub enclosure but I always used minwax with no complaints

GearGuy2001
02-08-2009, 10:29 AM
Check out the Gel Stains, not sure what brand (Im sure most major brands make a version) but Ive used it on various projects and it works very well.

KB777
02-08-2009, 10:40 AM
I was a house painter for about 6 years and have used lots of wood stains. Minwax is one of the best. Put one to two coats on then lightly sand it with a fine paper. Then put 2 coats of polyurathain (don't think thats how to spell it) and sand after the first coat. Us a gloss and you will have a nice finish.

hatemonger
02-08-2009, 10:46 AM
I was a house painter for about 6 years and have used lots of wood stains. Minwax is one of the best. Put one to two coats on then lightly sand it with a fine paper. Then put 2 coats of polyurathain (don't think thats how to spell it) and sand after the first coat. Us a gloss and you will have a nice finish.

agreed. i refinished hardwood floors for a few years. gloss polyurethane will dry extremely shiny, and will get more glossy as you add coats. i've done as many as 5 coats on coffee tables, chairs, etc. a nice stain and some coats of urethane looks like a wooden mirror. i personally like the minwax "golden oak" stain.

KB777
02-08-2009, 12:13 PM
agreed. i refinished hardwood floors for a few years. gloss polyurethane will dry extremely shiny, and will get more glossy as you add coats. i've done as many as 5 coats on coffee tables, chairs, etc. a nice stain and some coats of urethane looks like a wooden mirror. i personally like the minwax "golden oak" stain.

wow 5 coats. I bet it looked like you could dive in and go swiming. lol Staining was my fav part of my job. I love seeing the wood grain jump out after a few coats.

craigzter
02-08-2009, 12:16 PM
I've heard jizzum juice works well:thumbsup:

lol jk...I would try out the new gel stuff they got...done my computer desk in it and it looks good.

Cravingbass123
02-08-2009, 01:21 PM
ok fine i'll get minwax.