PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass wheel well or not?

snb778
02-06-2009, 07:30 PM
I was just thinking about my ongoing issue of not having enough space in my trunk for what I want to do (2x 15's, 2 18's.. etc etc)

Would it be ok to fiberglass my wheel well to get an extra 2-3cu. ft, and attatch it to my regular box?? Has anyone tried this?

I know i'd have to make it thick as hell to work properly, but it would be worth it if it worked. I would make it bolt-on so I could put it on different boxes if needed.

snb778
02-06-2009, 08:27 PM
anyone...

snb778
02-06-2009, 09:08 PM
ttt

snb778
02-06-2009, 09:43 PM
bump

aturcotte127317
02-06-2009, 09:47 PM
i was thnking about doing the same thing, but i think i am just goign to build the box into my spare tire well. mine is a almost a square (cube) so it wouldnt make too much of a difference to glass it.
but if yours is a really weird shape, then yea go for it, i dont see why not. But if you are goign to just make it a bolt on, put some low density weather stripping or something to make sure it has a good seal and everything.

snb778
02-06-2009, 09:50 PM
oh i'd silicone the hell outta it... mine is like a circle, only the 1 side is flat..... doesnt your wheel well bow up in the middle?? thats the problem I see with making it part of the box... also I do a lot of swapping out, so this would be nice to have bolt on... I just want to find someone who has done/seen this before

aturcotte127317
02-06-2009, 09:55 PM
oh i'd silicone the hell outta it... mine is like a circle, only the 1 side is flat..... doesnt your wheel well bow up in the middle?? thats the problem I see with making it part of the box... also I do a lot of swapping out, so this would be nice to have bolt on... I just want to find someone who has done/seen this before

mine does go up a very very little bit, (it is about 4" in diameter, and goes up about 2") but i just too a dremel, with a cut-off wheel, and just cut it flat, then put a .25" thick peice of MDF over it (after i put 2 cotes of waterproof sealant paint stuff on it)

i just thought the waether stripping would be ideal, because then every time you swapped you wouldnt have to cut out the silicone ya know?

azimuth
02-06-2009, 09:55 PM
projectpenchkin was using the wheel well in his subaru for the same purpose, using 2 eclipse 15's. as long as you can calculate the space correctly, and seal it with the box good, it'll work fine. it wasn't going to be removable though

snb778
02-06-2009, 10:03 PM
nice, im going to hit him up.. thx

edit: there is no user on this forum with that name

2edit: hmmh, tried it again and it worked nvmd

stevew007
02-06-2009, 11:41 PM
2 words "painters tape" before you foam or glass so when you need to remove the foam or glass it will come off with the tape :)~

mlstrass
02-07-2009, 02:22 AM
Just do a wall...

snb778
02-07-2009, 02:45 AM
Just do a wall...

you don't understand how bad I want to, but

A. I got rolled the other day for my tint, he didnt make me take it off, but sounded like the next guy would

B. IF i didnt have front tint, I park my car in an open parking lot by itself at night while im working

C. there have been several break in's in the back of my work in the last few months (thats why I park in the big lot in front). So it would be kinda risky

mlstrass
02-07-2009, 11:43 AM
Can you get fold down rear seats for your car? If so do a forward firing set up like I have. Loud and stealth...

GAM3OVR
02-07-2009, 03:36 PM
projectpenchkin was using the wheel well in his subaru for the same purpose, using 2 eclipse 15's. as long as you can calculate the space correctly, and seal it with the box good, it'll work fine. it wasn't going to be removable though

Nice Spelling Casey :)

snb778
02-07-2009, 03:53 PM
Can you get fold down rear seats for your car? If so do a forward firing set up like I have. Loud and stealth...

ya know.. im going to have to look into it... I was just lookin in my trunk... and I wouldnt even be able to get the box in if I did the wheel well...there would be no way to secure the fiberglassed wheel well to the box in the car, because I have to have my sub mounted before I put the box in

Mike, did you check out those quick disconnect connectors?

snb778
02-07-2009, 04:06 PM
no fold down seat kit... just called Nissan