PDA

View Full Version : Component speakers not loud

warr40
02-05-2009, 08:25 PM
Hey i have a 03 trailblazer with stock head unit and im finally installing my CDT CL-61i.
So i installed just the drivers side today(it got dark out before i can do the other side) and i noticed they are not loud, my stock speakers are much louder.
I have a sundown sax-100.2 ready to go just saving up for a head unit.
Are they not loud b/c there are meant to be used with a amp or is there something wrong?

budahbuddy803
02-05-2009, 08:27 PM
i would say... no matter what, powering components from a factory HU is just not smart. The crossover points are either awful or non-existent. The power coming of out a factory Hu is a mere 5 watts or something. Most factory decks will not power components the way the components would like.

When you hook that 100.2 up to them you will be 100x happier. Deadening is also key when it comes to installing speakers in the doors.

Louisiana_CRX
02-05-2009, 08:28 PM
recheck your wiring...they may be out of phase

warr40
02-05-2009, 08:29 PM
ok so should i put my stock speakers back in for now to prevent damage?

Side Show
02-05-2009, 08:29 PM
you'll prob find your stock speakers have alot lower power handling and are more effecient on less power

warr40
02-05-2009, 08:31 PM
yea i noticed
its going to be a while until i get my head unit so i think im going to throw my stock speakers back in
thanx for the help

James Bang
02-05-2009, 08:40 PM
that *****...

i don't have that problem

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a11/mobster909/new%20items/IMG00251.jpg

DidUHearThat?
02-05-2009, 08:56 PM
Get an external amp! You can get a cheap *** one for $30-$50 that will make those comps sound much better. Don't take them out. Your half way there.

warr40
02-05-2009, 09:02 PM
i have an sundown sax-100.2 ready to go why would i need another amp?

DidUHearThat?
02-05-2009, 09:09 PM
Then just install it. You can use a LOC if it doesn't have speaker level inputs.

Why downgrade your SQ and listen to stock speakers while you have good gear sitting in boxes?

undeadxsunshine
02-05-2009, 09:14 PM
Then just install it. You can use a LOC if it doesn't have speaker level inputs.

Why downgrade your SQ and listen to stock speakers while you have good gear sitting in boxes?

Why spend more money when you could use it on something ultimately better, you just need some patients.

DidUHearThat?
02-05-2009, 09:19 PM
Why spend more money when you could use it on something ultimately better, you just need some patients.

Ya'll are some cheap bastards! $6 for a LOC so you can have good sound now or have your gear collect dust while you drive around with stock speakers.

Not to mention, when you finally get the H/U you can sell the LOC on here for close to what you paid for it, so it will basically cost you nothing.

http://www.darvex.com/SGN11/Stinger+Line+Output+Convertor.html

warr40
02-05-2009, 09:23 PM
i already have a LOC converter set-up for my subs and theres a spot open for front speaker inputs i just didnt really want to use it for my front speakers b/c i thought it would ruin sound quality
LOC= http://www.crutchfield.com/S-fki6ALHu01k/p_142SLC4/Scosche-SLC4.html?tab=detailed_info

DidUHearThat?
02-06-2009, 03:14 PM
Then use it. Comp speakers with an external amp will sound alot better than stock speakers run off H/U power. Then you'll have your system all set up ready to drop your new H/U into.

atoprak
02-06-2009, 05:24 PM
No matter is component or coaxial ... just put an amp and feed the speakers wtih that power.. forget the factory HU power or aftermarket HU power... just install the amp.. then build your system around that...

for your observation with the factory speakers efficiency, yes your are righ.. becouse most of them gives 10rms .. with 10rms HU power... and most of the times it is better than giving 10wrms of HU power to 50-60w component or coaxial..

warr40
02-07-2009, 02:27 AM
Ok i get it now im going to order a wiring kit tonight and gets these bad boys going.

I dont know if this is the same thing but my friend has a 40w rms amp set up in his car n i wanted to test my speakers out so i hooked em all up and they sound GREAT.
But i was just wondering what just the tweeters would sound like so i unhooked the woofer from the crossover n the tweeters were not that loud. Is this b/c the crossover needs both the tweeters and the woofers for function properly or is it b/c it was just 40w?

atoprak
02-07-2009, 04:25 PM
Well actually you seen the small part of their potential.. as far I have seen these CDT s handle 90rms.. which is way higher than you friends amp output.. so you will get better sound if you give 80-90rms to these comps...

As for the tweeter... I have no idea.. it might be the charachteristis of cdt s and also amplifier as well.... But a good combination of comp and amp should provide decent and balanced sound in every power spectrum ....

warr40
02-07-2009, 08:29 PM
my sundown puts out 100w x2 at 4ohms this should be ok right?

snb778
02-07-2009, 08:32 PM
that *****...

i don't have that problem

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a11/mobster909/new%20items/IMG00251.jpg

those tweeters have to be so over-powering.. i've got some like that on the dash facing the windshield, AND tuned down quite a bit, and they are still pretty ear piercing on rock/metal

James Bang
02-08-2009, 02:06 PM
those tweeters have to be so over-powering.. i've got some like that on the dash facing the windshield, AND tuned down quite a bit, and they are still pretty ear piercing on rock/metal

it's possibly because you don't know how to tune or aim tweeters...

eharri3
02-08-2009, 02:40 PM
Ok i get it now im going to order a wiring kit tonight and gets these bad boys going.

I dont know if this is the same thing but my friend has a 40w rms amp set up in his car n i wanted to test my speakers out so i hooked em all up and they sound GREAT.
But i was just wondering what just the tweeters would sound like so i unhooked the woofer from the crossover n the tweeters were not that loud. Is this b/c the crossover needs both the tweeters and the woofers for function properly or is it b/c it was just 40w?

I can tell you when I got some dynamatting done and the wire from my mid to my 2 way x-over came loose, seemed like my tweeters were playing bass for a brief time before I figured out what was wrong and I was getting alot less volume from them. May be what happened to you, and this would probably give you less volume from them.

warr40
02-08-2009, 06:50 PM
Yea i think the xover needs the woofer for it to work properly not sure

warr40
02-09-2009, 10:32 PM
any input on the tweeter issue?