PDA

View Full Version : Diamond Hex Series Comp-What's Similar?

ewoevo
02-05-2009, 03:31 PM
Well, I had a set of the old Diamond Audio HEX series comps about 10 years ago and loved how they sounded. I'm thinking of getting a new set and was wondering what comps out there now sound comparable to these? I've had JL XRs, CDT classics, and Alpine SPXs and none of them sounded close (imho).

ewoevo
02-06-2009, 04:04 PM
bump.

Ignatowski
02-07-2009, 08:39 AM
easily outdone IMO.........I like the PPi's

ewoevo
02-07-2009, 05:24 PM

PPi's?

ewoevo
02-08-2009, 06:03 PM
anybody else?

ewoevo
02-09-2009, 12:18 PM

Are you talking about the PPI 356CS comps?

WhoSayWho?
02-09-2009, 12:21 PM
Just don't make the mistake of thinking the current Hex comps are the same as the ones you ran 10 years ago. They are inferior. I take it you may already know this.

ewoevo
02-09-2009, 11:47 PM
Yes, I'm not overly fond of the current Hex series speakers. Right now I'm looking at the Hybrid Clarus and Hertz HSK's. There is a shop about an hour away that sells both, so I may have to go check them both out.

victor.atm
02-10-2009, 04:50 PM
if you want something better than JL XRs, CDT classics, and Alpine SPXs you should try db drive platinum series, its what ive been using although diamond, is pretty good too

3kgtAudio
02-10-2009, 07:28 PM
The old Eaton Hex series speakers? They were the ****. I had a 3 way set until some ******* installer that worked at our shop for about 2 days swiped them out of the bottom drawer of my storage box, didn't find out until about 2 weeks later they were missing. Considering that they were upwards of $600 dealer cost I was more than pissed.

They were easily comparable to most of the high end out there at the time, these days? DLS ultimate, CDT, Image dynamics etc.

The newest Diamond hex speakers actually sound pretty good IMO, I don't like the aluminum dome tweeters much though, way too harsh. I have the Hex600S set, I love it. They did have a run of them that had some issues a while back but IMO they have stepped up on quality, they did seem to get a bit of a bad rep for a while. I wouldn't necessarily put them up against my Diamonds from back in the day but they are sure not bad.