PDA

View Full Version : double baffle Q

netzero
02-05-2009, 12:05 PM
Hey I'm gonna put my double inset baffle together tonight, will just wood glue and pressure for a few days be enough? Will that be strong enough once it's installed?
Or should I put some screws in it..?

I Like Waffle
02-05-2009, 12:10 PM
Id put screws in just to be sure.

Immacomputer
02-05-2009, 04:36 PM
Pressure will hold just fine and will look better in the long run. I never use screws on any joint of my enclosures and they're strong as hell. People usually really over do it when it comes to doubling up baffles with like 10 thousand screws... it's really just a waste of money.

mlstrass
02-05-2009, 06:11 PM
you can use 1 1/4" screws from the inside, but glue will be more then strong enough...

jco1385
02-05-2009, 06:12 PM
i used glue and hasn't been a problem. titebond 3 ftw ;)

TwoEggCustoms
02-06-2009, 09:58 PM
when ur questioning the strenght of glue take a box that u have glued and screwed and take the screws out and try and take it apart i tried this on a box with titebond and i had to hit it about 10 times with hammer to get one of the sides off

stevew007
02-06-2009, 10:12 PM
Hey I'm gonna put my double inset baffle together tonight, will just wood glue and pressure for a few days be enough? Will that be strong enough once it's installed?

do it right the first time then you wont have to fix it later. if your box has any give to it.it will break the glue joint. i built my wall with 3 layers (not enough) 2.5 lbs 1 5/8" 2.5lbs 1 1/4" and about 1/4lb 2.5" screws and 3/4 of a gallon of titebond and still wont be strong enough for what I'm going to do to it. that is why i'm going to use 1 1/2" gas pipe for bracing and I will still be worried. the stronger the box the better. the stronger the box the better the #'s you will get ask any true competitor

netzero
02-06-2009, 11:13 PM
Thanks guys. I knew titebond II and pressure would be enough, but I just wanted to make sure lol. I used glue and pressure, but after put some 1 1/4" screws in the bottom just for "ease of mind"...

It's strong as can be today, I'm really looking forward to finishing my box!

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r228/netq/New%20box/resized-IMG_0670.jpg

iamamp3pimp
02-06-2009, 11:20 PM

screws

sometimes MDF is warped and you cant tell until you try to put it together like that

a screw every 4-6 inches will do

iamamp3pimp
02-06-2009, 11:22 PM
do it right the first time then you wont have to fix it later. if your box has any give to it.it will break the glue joint. i built my wall with 3 layers (not enough) 2.5 lbs 1 5/8" 2.5lbs 1 1/4" and about 1/4lb 2.5" screws and 3/4 of a gallon of titebond and still wont be strong enough for what I'm going to do to it. that is why i'm going to use 1 1/2" gas pipe for bracing and I will still be worried. the stronger the box the better. the stronger the box the better the #'s you will get ask any true competitor
not always true

sometimes box flex helps you out......

beyond that, if you build a triple baffle box and it stil isnt strong enough, i would love to see what you have planned.

iamamp3pimp
02-06-2009, 11:22 PM
great pressure btw....lmao

weights and a bag of the good ol concrete

netzero
02-06-2009, 11:27 PM
great pressure btw....lmao

weights and a bag of the good ol concrete

:laugh: seriously. I had it clamped to get it straight, then put all that isht on it, kept it nice and tight :D

stevew007
02-07-2009, 10:38 AM
not always true

sometimes box flex helps you out......

beyond that, if you build a triple baffle box and it stil isnt strong enough, i would love to see what you have planned.

here is my build.http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=380301

i've never heard of anyone saying the box flex helped them but that dont mean it's not true.I'm only saying if he use's glue only and he has flex there is a great chance that it will break a joint and create problems

Immacomputer
02-07-2009, 11:23 AM
screws

sometimes MDF is warped and you cant tell until you try to put it together like that

a screw every 4-6 inches will do

A screw every 4-6 inches is retarded and completely unneeded, especially for doubling up panels. If it's warped, 4 screws would settle a 4'x4' doubled up panel no problem at all. Even when building a box, 2-3 screws per side is all that is really needed and if your panels don't sit well after those screws, your cuts **** donkey ****.

Pop da Hatch
02-07-2009, 11:33 AM
A screw every 4-6 inches is retarded and completely unneeded, especially for doubling up panels. If it's warped, 4 screws would settle a 4'x4' doubled up panel no problem at all. Even when building a box, 2-3 screws per side is all that is really needed and if your panels don't sit well after those screws, your cuts **** donkey ****.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/89mbvw4ny2y4vtqd/

Abstract The effects of screw-gluing and gap-filling phenol resorcinol formaldehyde (GPRF) adhesive using different glue line thicknesses on the shear strength of wood-plywood joints were studied to determine the use of screw-gluing fastening (SG) method and GPRF adhesive. The specimens were manufactured using either SG method with GPRF adhesive and fine threaded drywall screws or press-gluing (PG) method with GPRF adhesive. The Analysis of Covariance (ANCOVA) was used for statistical analyses.

The results showed that the strength among fastening methods was significantly affected by the glue line thickness, so the strength decreased as the glue line thickness increased. The SG fastening method was found as effective as the PG method and more effective when thick glue lines present. The method can be successfully used to bond wood to plywood for wooden panels i.e. stressed skin and sandwich panels.

;)

Pop da Hatch
02-07-2009, 11:34 AM
Screws + Glue = FTW :fyi:

Immacomputer
02-07-2009, 04:06 PM
http://www.springerlink.com/content/89mbvw4ny2y4vtqd/

Abstract The effects of screw-gluing and gap-filling phenol resorcinol formaldehyde (GPRF) adhesive using different glue line thicknesses on the shear strength of wood-plywood joints were studied to determine the use of screw-gluing fastening (SG) method and GPRF adhesive. The specimens were manufactured using either SG method with GPRF adhesive and fine threaded drywall screws or press-gluing (PG) method with GPRF adhesive. The Analysis of Covariance (ANCOVA) was used for statistical analyses.

The results showed that the strength among fastening methods was significantly affected by the glue line thickness, so the strength decreased as the glue line thickness increased. The SG fastening method was found as effective as the PG method and more effective when thick glue lines present. The method can be successfully used to bond wood to plywood for wooden panels i.e. stressed skin and sandwich panels.

;)

What he is doing there is much different than doubling a baffle and the adhesive he is using is much different than PVA glues. Either way, he found adding screws as effective. Thickness of the glue line isn't going have as much of an effect in PVA glues but is a problem with the adhesive he is using.

All things in context...