PDA

View Full Version : Good Phono Preamp?

joetama
02-05-2009, 03:35 AM
Ok, I'm tired of my record player just setting collecting dust. I was previously using my Yamaha Receiver as my phono preamp but I moved it to my workbench so I can drive audio equipment I'm working on. So, I'm looking for a decent one that isn't too expensive. I would like to keep it under $200. Any suggestions?

juniorab
02-05-2009, 05:33 AM
Try the rotel RQ970BX. I know you use rotel. Solid product. You could also try a parasound Zphono. You can buy either for around $100-$150 used on audiogon usually. The parasound is under $200 new I do believe.

JimJ
02-05-2009, 12:58 PM
Bump the budget a bit and go for a Bottlehead Seduction :D

I've heard good things about the Cambridge Audio Azur one, too...

juniorab
02-05-2009, 02:02 PM
Bump the budget a bit and go for a Bottlehead Seduction :D

I've heard good things about the Cambridge Audio Azur one, too...

there's actually a bottlehead seduction on audiogon for $350 right now. I don't think Joe favors tubes though, from what I can tell.

joetama
02-05-2009, 02:14 PM
I'm not exactly a tube guy. I know about tubes, and respect tubes, but have no tube equipment.

I do however see a connection between tubes and vinyl. I'll do some looking around.

JimJ
02-05-2009, 02:18 PM
If you're going tubes for phono, I'd much rather have a 6DJ8-based stage (like the Seduction) than a 12AX7 one, like the Bellari or Decware...I'm not a big fan of high-gain 12V tubes, they should stay in guitar amps, IMO :)

For SS, I think Graham Slee makes one in that price range, too, but I'm not sure...

juniorab
02-05-2009, 02:23 PM
I'm not exactly a tube guy. I know about tubes, and respect tubes, but have no tube equipment.

I do however see a connection between tubes and vinyl. I'll do some looking around.

I wasn't a tube guy either, until I tried my Copland CTA 505 amp. Once I used it in my own system, and had a chance to play with it, I loved the sound. For someone like you, who is very technical and "tweaky" (hope you don't take offence to that!lol) tubes might be right up your alley. you can change the sound just by changing tubes. Gives you a chance to put your own flavor to it. ( I know you know this already though)

juniorab
02-05-2009, 03:05 PM
Can you add a phono stage on your sim preamp?

troy_audi0
02-05-2009, 04:32 PM
Checkout NAD they have a new one