PDA

View Full Version : Door Pods 99 Lumina...

SPLluminator
02-03-2009, 04:52 PM
Hey all,

Just looking for some recommendations/info for door pods.

Im wondering if i shoudl do the whole bottom of the door. Or if i can do just where the speaker would be. Just because it woudl be easier to do less, and cost less. My other question is, how much does it typically cost. Im thinking i would need a gallon of poly and a good amount of bondo + glass cloth/matt. I noticed you guys use mat vs. cloth as well. Ive only worked with cloth before. Thanks for any help...

Heres a pic of my door panel as well, if you want to edit it in paint to show me what you think would be best, then that would be great.

budahbuddy803
02-03-2009, 04:56 PM
what are you trying to do? 8"s or something might require fiberglass, but just putting some 6.5"s should only require a 1/2" or 3/4" MDF baffle

SPLluminator
02-03-2009, 05:00 PM
Just 6.5s. But the Door opening in that diamond shaped part is only 4.5 inches. So i figured id get more sound out of the seal pods anyways. Especially because this car would be a PITA to seal.

SPLluminator
02-03-2009, 06:08 PM
Still wondering... I could do mdf inside the panel but there isnt much clearance and the diamond shape thing in the pic(above, bottom right in the panel) will only be 4.5inches wide max. So i thought it would block a lot of sound, and the speaker could posibly hit it.

SPLluminator
02-03-2009, 06:58 PM
Come on, i know there are like 20 threads about it. Someone help me with just their opinion, thats all im asking.

cx-7heaven
02-03-2009, 07:00 PM
Look at my thread in the build log section, I cut the corner off the panel, and built my pod into that area.

SPLluminator
02-03-2009, 07:01 PM
Would the purple outline look ok? Or would you go with the red. The re would use considerably more fiberglass, so im kinda stuck.

cx-7heaven
02-03-2009, 07:04 PM
I would cut the smaller part, that way you dont lose the pocket.

SPLluminator
02-03-2009, 07:11 PM
I would cut the smaller part, that way you dont lose the pocket.

Ok, thanks. I saw your build too. Looking forward to seeing more. Ive got fiberglass cloth left over from a rc boat. Ill use that for the layers on the bottom. The thing that ***** is i have no heat in my garage and i cant work inside(resin stinks obviosly). I think ill go tape off what im gonna do and take a pic. Then you can give me more feedback. One more question, how should i secure this so i can get it off later if i want?

SPLluminator
02-03-2009, 07:29 PM
So maybe something like this...

cx-7heaven
02-03-2009, 07:35 PM
What I did was that I left the very outer edge of the panel there, and ran some screws in different spots into the pod through the edge that I left. It's very secure when it's installed. Another way to go is to screw the pod to the door itself before you put the driver in it. Then you have to take the driver out before you can get the pod off.

SPLluminator
02-03-2009, 07:39 PM
I think i got that, sorta. Pics?

You think that would look fine^^^^^

Im pretty ok at fiberglassing, so it should turn out ok.

SPLluminator
02-03-2009, 08:19 PM
So maybe something like this...

Or do you think i should go a bit smaller?

Enellz
02-03-2009, 08:21 PM
I wanna see how this turns out. Got a 97 Lumiee

SPLluminator
02-03-2009, 08:23 PM
I wanna see how it turns out too, lol. Too bad it wont w/o any input. Whadya think?

SPLluminator
02-03-2009, 11:20 PM
Well im gonna go with the smaller section i think. Where do you guys get you mat? Id like to pick it up at a store and not have to order it but i can.

cx-7heaven
02-03-2009, 11:22 PM
Auto zone, Advance Auto, NAPA. They have all the FG stuff there.

SPLluminator
02-03-2009, 11:25 PM
Auto zone, Advance Auto, NAPA. They have all the FG stuff there.

Is it decent stuff or no? All ive seen is the bondo stuff. Or will that work alright, i was thinking more like bulk.

cx-7heaven
02-04-2009, 12:13 AM
Thats where I get mine. They have the mat, bondo, resin, gel, you name it. I used mat, bondo, and resin in my build.

SPLluminator
02-04-2009, 05:17 PM
I picked up two things of mat. I have a quart of resin, and a thing of bondo.

Should i do this in my garage and then bring it inside to dry? Its like 30 degrees here. And i have no heated area other than in my house. I could put it in the bathroom with the fan on to dry.

Also, how do i get the fiberglass off of the tape? Is it pretty easy, cuz that tape is pretty sticky. It might be a pain, thanks for any input

Blue Fury
02-04-2009, 05:28 PM
Think of the mounting depth, I could barely fit the coaxials in there without grinding some metal down. Id try angling it upward. And I really suggest leaving the outermost border of the panel.. the plastic that isn't carpeted. It would be much easier to leave it than make trim to screw through.

Just make a ring then secure dowels to the door, then the ring to the dowels in the position you want. Glass it, carpet it, done. This way you wont really have to worry about depth too much.

WrenchGuy
02-04-2009, 05:30 PM
Just use a tarp, folding table and a space heater to cure it.

You want at least 2 hrs of 70-80 degrees on it. It worked for me.

SPLluminator
02-04-2009, 05:51 PM
Think of the mounting depth, I could barely fit the coaxials in there without grinding some metal down. Id try angling it upward. And I really suggest leaving the outermost border of the panel.. the plastic that isn't carpeted. It would be much easier to leave it than make trim to screw through.

Just make a ring then secure dowels to the door, then the ring to the dowels in the position you want. Glass it, carpet it, done. This way you wont really have to worry about depth too much.

Well, i want it to be sealed too, ill get more midbass. I also want it to be removable incase i sell the car or something.

cx-7heaven
02-04-2009, 05:56 PM
You see where I had tape in the door panel there? On top of the tape, I put tinfoil, it releases the fg real easy once its dry. I would try to do it somewhere that is at least 60 degrees, or the fg will take forever to cure, maybe a buddys garage?

SPLluminator
02-04-2009, 05:59 PM
I dont have any friends with heated garages. You think it would be fine to do in the garage and let cure in my bathroom with the fan on? Or would it smell too bad.

cx-7heaven
02-04-2009, 05:59 PM
Well, i want it to be sealed too, ill get more midbass. I also want it to be removable incase i sell the car or something.

I wouldnt worry about removing it for resale, when your done with it, it will not fit any other car. Just integrate it real nice into the door with carpet,paint or vinyl, and sell the pods with the car when that happens. My truck is brand new when I cut my panels up, I'll just sell it that way, if I ever do that is.

cx-7heaven
02-04-2009, 06:00 PM
The smell depends on you/ parents. It will smell up the house pretty bad tho. You have to let the fg cure in the panel, or else you lose your shape and have to start over

SPLluminator
02-04-2009, 06:00 PM
I wouldnt worry about removing it for resale, when your done with it, it will not fit any other car. Just integrate it real nice into the door with carpet,paint or vinyl, and sell the pods with the car when that happens. My truck is brand new when I cut my panels up, I'll just sell it that way, if I ever do that is.

Yea, well, its not for resale, just wanna be able to remove it.

Blue Fury
02-04-2009, 06:01 PM

Ive thought about that too. Just replace the speaker you use with some crappy one and sell it up.

SPLluminator
02-04-2009, 06:05 PM
Ive thought about that too. Just replace the speaker you use with some crappy one and sell it up.

Well ive got PG RSD65cs's so i could just keep em in there. But id still like it to be removable.

cx-7heaven
02-04-2009, 06:11 PM
If you look close at the pics in my log, you can see what I did. Tomorrow I will put up some more. Mine are removable for now, I'm not sure after I trim them out how removable they will be, but you can get some ideas.

SPLluminator
02-04-2009, 07:53 PM
I made the mdf rings the speakers will sit in tonight. Idk when ill start the fiberglassing.

Thanks for the support guys.

ngsm13
02-04-2009, 08:01 PM
Get your fiberglass supplies from US Composites, or eBay...

Also, do the smaller one... over the current speaker grill. I'd cut into your door... and use the pod to cover it... get more space.

nG

SPLluminator
02-05-2009, 01:53 PM
Already got my fiberglass from advance auto parts. It was like $6 for 8cft. So i got two of them. You think that will be enough? How many layers should i use.

SPLluminator
02-05-2009, 09:22 PM
Ok, well i got one door started. I did two layers, since i wasnt sure. I didnt really use a mold release cuz i couldnt find anything to use. I just have the layer of masking tape on there. It was pretty easy since i have used cloth before. I like mat more than cloth i think.

SPLluminator
02-05-2009, 10:17 PM
O and, my bathroom smells horrible. How bad is this stuff for you???