PDA

View Full Version : Screws keep backing out on ported enclosure

GregU
02-01-2009, 04:13 PM
I built my first ported enclosure a few weeks ago using screwes and small nails. I noticed yesterday that my sub(RE SE12) was loosing some SQ and SPL. I took the box out and gave each screw a good half turn, since my SQ and SPL are back like they should be. Is there a way to keep them from backing out? Should I take the screws out and coat them in liquid nails and screw them back in? When I built the box I used an all-purpose caulk/adhesive to seal her up.

This is a ported enclosure 2.0ft3@27hz if it matters.

TheyDontWant
02-01-2009, 04:25 PM
the wood glue that you would have used to glue the wood together, seeing as thats what you use for gluing wood, would stop the box from coming apart.

the screws are there to hold the panels together while the glue dries.

GregU
02-01-2009, 04:34 PM
the wood glue that you would have used to glue the wood together, seeing as thats what you use for gluing wood, would stop the box from coming apart.

the screws are there to hold the panels together while the glue dries.

:crap:

I feel like an idiot. Guess I should have read a tutorial first.

x2o
02-01-2009, 04:48 PM
:crap:

I feel like an idiot. Guess I should have read a tutorial first.

And your an MECP student..? :hide:

Just kidding man :p:, but really, if you weren't sure how to design and build a box, you shoulda looked it up first.. Now your gonna have to scrap that one and try again! :greedy:

GregU
02-01-2009, 05:24 PM
And your an MECP student..? :hide:

Just kidding man :p:, but really, if you weren't sure how to design and build a box, you shoulda looked it up first.. Now your gonna have to scrap that one and try again! :greedy:

We haven't gotten to the enclosure building part yet:crap:

Why is it that you want just glue holding a box together?

Twistid
02-01-2009, 05:25 PM
The bond glue makes is stronger than the wood itself.

edit:: I've also had a panel blown out of one of my boxes, snapped about 4-5 screws, broke the seal and fiberglass on the inside of the box... You might think about bracing also if your moving alot of air.

Andrizzle
02-01-2009, 05:46 PM
Why do so many idiots think liquid nails and caulking holds joints....

Seriously were you not taught anything about basic construction when you were growing up?

Do you think wood glue is called 'wood GLUE' because its optional? DurrrrrrR????

GregU
02-01-2009, 05:55 PM
Why do so many idiots think liquid nails and caulking holds joints....

Seriously were you not taught anything about basic construction when you were growing up?

Do you think wood glue is called 'wood GLUE' because its optional? DurrrrrrR????

I can tell you feel like sheit about yourself.

1. Grow up
2. Get rid of your ego
3. You must be one of those people who did everything wrong in their life and has to make fun of or put someone down to make themselves feel better about themselves cause deep down inside, you know your useless but you cant admit it to yourself.

OBVIOUSLY, like I stated in my first post, this was my first box. And OBVIOUSLY, I don't know all about everything (unlike you who lies to himself to think so in fear of being the worthless man you really are). OBVIOUSLY, if I'm going to school for something, there's a reason why.......

**** off....

Andrizzle
02-01-2009, 05:57 PM
I can tell you feel like sheit about yourself.

1. Grow up
2. Get rid of your ego
3. You must be one of those people who did everything wrong in their life and has to make fun of or put someone down to make themselves feel better about themselves cause deep down inside, you know your useless but you cant admit it to yourself.

OBVIOUSLY, like I stated in my first post, this was my first box. And OBVIOUSLY, I don't know all about everything (unlike you who lies to himself to think so in fear of being the worthless man you really are). OBVIOUSLY, if I'm going to school for something, there's a reason why.......

**** off....

at least you get me. :veryhapp:

andrew2944r
02-01-2009, 05:58 PM
Liquid Nail & Duct Tape > than all

lool

Replace them screws with concrete screws they never back out, lol

x2o
02-01-2009, 05:59 PM
As stated in an earlier post, the chemical bond the wood glue forms between the two pieces of wood is actually stronger then the wood itself. Or maybe it is a physical bond? I don't know, I'll admit I don't know everything there is to know about this, but the bottom line is the wood glue (Titebond, Elmer's wood glue, those are the two I prefer) when dry and holding together two pieces of wood is stronger then the wood itself in this case. When you try to break a box, you'll always end up smashing the sheet of wood before smashing the actual joints :).

There are some people that don't even use screws. If you have enough clamps to get all joints tight enough, screws aren't really required.

AndyInOC
02-01-2009, 06:05 PM
Trial and error is the only true learning method, you did it one way and now you know to do it differently. Hell, you built your own box which beats a lot of guys on this site and in the world of car audio as a whole, keep it up!!

GregU
02-01-2009, 06:11 PM
As stated in an earlier post, the chemical bond the wood glue forms between the two pieces of wood is actually stronger then the wood itself. Or maybe it is a physical bond? I don't know, I'll admit I don't know everything there is to know about this, but the bottom line is the wood glue (Titebond, Elmer's wood glue, those are the two I prefer) when dry and holding together two pieces of wood is stronger then the wood itself in this case. When you try to break a box, you'll always end up smashing the sheet of wood before smashing the actual joints :).

There are some people that don't even use screws. If you have enough clamps to get all joints tight enough, screws aren't really required.

I gottcha:)

Anniku989
02-01-2009, 06:25 PM
Yup, if you did use wood glue, you didn't use enough probably.

On another note, the se's I was using blew my box apart on about 1500rms. Was just a fart box to see what I could hit, and didn't have glue at the time, put a screw about every 2 inches around the edges, and still snapped a good 30 screws lol. The se's on the low notes will flex a box pretty good, most people here will tell you that. You'd be smart to brace the hell outta it with dowel rods or allthread.

phantom240
02-01-2009, 06:27 PM
I had a problem with my screws in my sub backing out and/or breaking before.

Then I concluded I needed bracing in the box because the baffle was flexing.

Louisiana_CRX
02-01-2009, 06:30 PM
an old installer trick is adding wood glue to the screw threads ;) works sorta like loctite on bolts :)

boomzilla
02-02-2009, 01:40 PM
an old installer trick is adding wood glue to the screw threads ;) works sorta like loctite on bolts :)

Good idea, I'm gonna use that trick later on today.

To the OP, like it has been said before, trial and error is the only way to become better. Use plenty of woodglue, titebond 2 works best for me. Have plenty of clamps, the glue and pressure holds that box together, we only use screws because most of us don't have money for 16 clamps. They just hold the panels as a clamp would to help us keep working. Doweling, 2x4's, fiberglassing/ resin, 45 degree angles, and thread rod will help best with bracing.

Hope this helps.

boomzilla
02-02-2009, 01:44 PM
Also, you can take the box apart, glue the seams, and re drill new holes, and block off the old ones with silicone or some wood filler. Depends on how bad the box is though, but I think you may be able to get away with it.

groundpound4200
02-02-2009, 01:51 PM
yeah just take the box back apart and glue it. I always do a dry fit of my boxes before I glue anyway. I've even made boxes without using a single screw that held up nicely. I had to tongue and groove everything, glue the **** out of it, and clamp it all over for a day but it's very solid.

scoob8000
02-02-2009, 02:11 PM
Now your gonna have to scrap that one and try again! :greedy:

If there's no glue, why not just dismantle it, add glue, and reassemble?

[edit]

yeah just take the box back apart and glue it. I always do a dry fit of my boxes before I glue anyway. I've even made boxes without using a single screw that held up nicely. I had to tongue and groove everything, glue the **** out of it, and clamp it all over for a day but it's very solid.

Beat me to it! :)