PDA

View Full Version : Rear speakers...Need some advice

07ramjam
02-01-2009, 11:42 AM
I have a friend(well a friend of a friend) who helps me with some stuff I cant do.Hes a very good installer and has a good reputation where I live.I generally trust his advice and go with what he says,but this time Im not sure.

I was telling him about running a set of comps off of a 2 channel amp and running the rears off the HU for fill.He was almost in disbelief.He told me that I should try to run the same speakers in the rear as the front and power them with the same amount of power as the front.

Now I was doing some reading here and it seems most of you here do the HU rear fill option.What if any would be the advantage of amping a rear set of speakers?

eharri3
02-02-2009, 12:51 PM
It's subjective. I don't like too much of it, only a little. Many on here will tell you it's an absolute no-no. I like to have just enough of it to that I can sense that it affects the music without me telling where it's coming from. I run mine off the HU and still fade about 1/3rd to the front until everything that should only originate from one spot does so but at the same time I have a greater sense of space. To me it lends a sort of depth to the music that makes a difference between feeling like Im watching a live performance on TV and like I'm actually at one. And my front stage is 300 watts, all Hertz.

My friend likes to run equally high quality comps in front and back equally powered with the fader centered. I think that's dumb but it's only my opinion. Just don't see a point to wasting alot of money and amplifier power on speakers that should only be 'felt' but not 'heard.' If I put the fader too close to center things like vocals and guitar notes start to sound like they're originating from speakers and not from the windshield.

Before you even do anything in the rear, get the absolute best front speakers you can afford. Give them more than RMS. THEN decide what else you need. And if you're worried about rear passengers, IMHO they can get all the sound they need from cheap coaxials run off head unit power.

07ramjam
02-02-2009, 09:57 PM
Excellent advice thanks!!

As far as picking out speakers and an amp which should you do:

Buy an amp and match the speakers to that or
Buy speakers and match the amp to them?

Im actually leaning toward the Diamond Audio Hex with the silk tweeter,what amp would you recommend for those?

eharri3
02-04-2009, 07:56 AM
Excellent advice thanks!!

As far as picking out speakers and an amp which should you do:

Buy an amp and match the speakers to that or
Buy speakers and match the amp to them?

Im actually leaning toward the Diamond Audio Hex with the silk tweeter,what amp would you recommend for those?

This probly flies in the face of everything u been told by your friend and by shops about the hazzards and horrors of over or underpowering but for my next setup I'll be looken for an amp that puts out 100 or 150 percent each drivers rms rating.

cx-7heaven
02-04-2009, 08:01 AM
Actually, if you set up your fronts correctly, you wont need any rears. I dont run any rear fill at all, havent for years and I dont miss them. Also saves you money on speaks and amps ;)

eharri3
02-04-2009, 08:04 AM
Sorry that should read 150 or 200%. Point being when i put my next system together nothing will 'match' in the sense that u mean.

dewey79
02-04-2009, 10:15 PM
You get a good set of components that can take a lot of power, you won't care about the rear and even back there, the sound is still rich components in the front. Two speakers will fill up your whole car and sound louder than four speakers unless you are running them on seperate amps. But like I said and others have mentioned, a good set of components will give you all the sound your ears can take with quality at a high volume with no distortion.

Speakers like this need a lot of power and the better your power, the shorter your break in period.