PDA

View Full Version : check out my fiberglass box *PIC*

subboxmaker
08-15-2003, 01:09 PM
ok well its not actually fiberglassed yet but i just thought id see what you guys thought about it. its my first fiberglassed box, i just kinda threw it together last night at 3 :crazy: , so its proabably going to be kinda ******. ok heres my question when i put the fiberglass on it would it be allright to use box carpet that i already have it's pretty thick. and where do i staple the carpet at would i have to get a huge piece and staple it all the way in the back of the box or could i just staple it like a couple inches back from the front and then when thats done put carpet all around it and the fiberglass that so i could paint it? sorry but this is my first time any help from u guys would be awesome

im planning on porting it (i think)... on the right side with just round ports

MXJMR
08-15-2003, 09:58 PM
You can use regular box carpet but it will soak up ALOT of resin. I would just staple the carpet right where it meets the corners of the front of the box and then trim the rest off w/ like a utility knife, or you could do carpet all the way around then start the glassing either way is ok its your prference. ;)

subboxmaker
08-16-2003, 01:35 AM
well i just bought some fleece material at wal-mart for 7 bucks so i think im going to use that and go all the way around the box so its all smooth when i'm ready to paint it..........well i think atleast ill start the fiberglassing tomorow bright and early

subboxmaker
08-16-2003, 01:38 AM
if i just stapled carpet or fleece on to the front of the box then added 3 more pieces for the top and sides would it be even or should i just use one piece?

Gauntlet
08-16-2003, 09:04 AM
Just so you know....if you plan on going all the way around the entire box, and you want to paint it afterwards, you're going to spending a LOT (and I mean a LOT) of time layering and sanding body filler to make it smooth. If I were you, I would just put the fleece on over the edges of the box opening (securing it with hot glue or a spray adhesive), then after it hardens you can sand it down with a dremel to make it flush like you want. It'll save you a lot of time and money....

subboxmaker
08-16-2003, 12:03 PM
allright thanks i think thats what ill do then..but then when i paint it will the fiberglass front look the same as the wood top and sides?

MXJMR
08-16-2003, 12:48 PM
No it wont look the same. If you have the money and time to carpet and glass the whole thing that would prolly be the best thing.

Gauntlet
08-16-2003, 04:57 PM
If you do it correctly it will look the same....or at least close enough to the same to fool the naked eye.......and I don't see why you would want to waste time carpeting and glassing over flat MDF, it seems rather pointless to me....

MXJMR
08-16-2003, 06:03 PM
Actually if you paint the glassed part good there will be a hell of a difference.They are two different textures or atleast will be when finished. Have you ever glassed and painted the front and then painted the mdf. U can tell believe me.

Gauntlet
08-16-2003, 06:16 PM
They are two different textures in their initial stages...if you use body filler and primer you can paint them good enough to fool your eye......anyways, my main point was that if youre going to be spending that much time and money on glassing, you might as well scrap the enclosure and build a fully custom one...

MXJMR
08-16-2003, 07:14 PM
My bad dude i should have been clearer in the first place, thats what i meant about glassin i meant in the back just use body filler at first i thought u meant just leave the mdf the way it was. Sorry for the miss understanding. We were on the same track just different thoughts, i agree w/ what you said cause thats what i meant.

mgaidica
08-16-2003, 07:39 PM
Well in my exprience's, have a VERY round circular baffle has helped.. when stretching my meterial over it it makes a very round overall finish.. with rough edges u need to use more bondo/body filler..

smullen
12-13-2003, 02:50 PM
Looks like a good start...Any Updates??? pics???

ok well its not actually fiberglassed yet but i just thought id see what you guys thought about it. its my first fiberglassed box, i just kinda threw it together last night at 3 :crazy: , so its proabably going to be kinda ******. ok heres my question when i put the fiberglass on it would it be allright to use box carpet that i already have it's pretty thick. and where do i staple the carpet at would i have to get a huge piece and staple it all the way in the back of the box or could i just staple it like a couple inches back from the front and then when thats done put carpet all around it and the fiberglass that so i could paint it? sorry but this is my first time any help from u guys would be awesome

im planning on porting it (i think)... on the right side with just round ports

TPABlazer
12-13-2003, 06:07 PM
i would superglue the fleece or whatever to the very edge of the front, then resin it, then add some layers.

THEN, cut the hole out of the center, resin the inside seam of the wood and the fleece, then use some mixture of kittyhiar or whatever to reinforce the seam.

edit: this way you can trim any fleece ro whatever that may curl up at the seam down to be almost flush with the wood.

Gauntlet
12-13-2003, 06:32 PM
This thread is 4 months old. ;)

MXJMR
12-13-2003, 07:08 PM
Yeah just a tad late bub.

TPABlazer
12-13-2003, 07:54 PM
my advice still stands.. sorry

DwnWrdSpiral
12-22-2003, 09:06 AM
well then its about time for some pics, hay?

Jayson Hisel
12-22-2003, 04:29 PM
final pics?

southprk
01-04-2004, 12:38 PM
Well, this is my opinion.. take it for what it's worth...

I would stretch the fleece over the open end and hot glue it, then trim it down with a razor knife... Put resin on the fleece and the MDF, but just 1 or 2 layers on the MDF, and don't cover the flat panels of MDF with fleece, it will be a costly and pointless mistake. Resin on fleece, and resin on wood are the same finished surface. Also once you put enough resin on the fleece it will turn into a plastic-like form, and you can sand it as if it was resin with no fleece - that's how you get rid of those rough edges.

subboxmaker
01-05-2004, 09:33 PM
its me finally i haven't been on here in forever well heres my pictures of the box done. http://members.sounddomain.com/fishpony tell me what you guys think. anybody want to buy it make me a reasonable offer i'll let it go pretty cheap

subboxmaker
01-05-2004, 09:34 PM
and the paint is completely perfect the pics are just ******

TPABlazer
01-06-2004, 04:59 AM
what did you do to get the carpet to meet like thaT?

subboxmaker
01-06-2004, 08:34 PM
glued it next to the fiberglass with superglue if thats what you mean

subboxmaker
01-17-2004, 02:13 AM
no offers? come on guys

subboxmaker
01-30-2004, 05:31 PM
well i gave it to my x-girlfriend and i get to install her cd player speaker and sub and amp for free since i'm such a nice guy.... :thumbsdow

PopcornPlaya
01-30-2004, 05:44 PM
dose it just sit on that ledge like that? or is it just sitting there for the pics purpose?

subboxmaker
01-31-2004, 02:14 AM
it's just there for the pics it doesn't sit like that