PDA

View Full Version : Are slot ports better then round?

letchcore
01-30-2009, 04:21 PM
Just like the title says. If space is limited does the round port help in some circumstances?

hoss
01-30-2009, 04:22 PM
they are like 183% better.

528hz
01-30-2009, 04:35 PM
What do you mean by round; kerfed, aero ports?

letchcore
01-30-2009, 05:27 PM
What do you mean by round; kerfed, aero ports?

rounded pvc. I have used Aero with good success.

tRiGgEr
01-30-2009, 05:34 PM
They are 9000x better

letchcore
01-30-2009, 05:38 PM
can someone that has done both chime in and be serious for a sec?

tRiGgEr
01-30-2009, 05:42 PM
Seriously neither are better than the other...

Slot ports make it easier to achieve max port surface area. And are a breeze to install because it's just another slot of MDF, or any other box material.

It seriously doesn't matter for a daily driver box.

SomeDonnieDude
01-30-2009, 06:12 PM
What he said^^^

The only real benefit is you can easily change the tuning of your box (good for competing).
If you are referring to aero ports or flared ports, they are excellent if you space limited due to the fact that with the flares you can get the same port velocity as a bigger slot port with less space.

Jeepjones85
01-30-2009, 06:28 PM
I really like the way my Dc 15's sound and I used round ports it seems to have good frequency
response on my bass tester cd ... My buddy has 2 L7 15's In the biggest recommended
ported box and we built ports out of mdf and those Kicker's hit hard and sound good too...

But If i had to chose I'd go with round because they are way easer to make...

Just remember if you go with round ports the round port calculator's out there do not
calculate round port displacement, I had to use two formulas to get my ports right

letchcore
01-30-2009, 06:58 PM
Is a 3" round port big enough for one 10"??

KHARPS
01-30-2009, 07:03 PM
Is a 3" round port big enough for one 10"??

Depends how much power you're using and how big the box is. I had a single 3'' aeroport (which is flared on both ends) in a 1.25 cube box with 1000w and I got a lot of port noise on the lower frequencies. I then made a 1.5 cube box with (2) 3'' aeroports and the port noise never came back :)

hoss
01-30-2009, 08:15 PM
Seriously neither are better than the other...

Slot ports make it easier to achieve max port surface area. And are a breeze to install because it's just another slot of MDF, or any other box material.

It seriously doesn't matter for a daily driver box.

I agree with the unbolded parts, but disagree with the bit that I bolded. If you have square subs, you are going to want a square (or rectangular) port, round subs you are going to want a round port.

mazdakid
01-30-2009, 08:52 PM
I agree with the unbolded parts, but disagree with the bit that I bolded. If you have square subs, you are going to want a square (or rectangular) port, round subs you are going to want a round port.

why?

letchcore
01-30-2009, 08:57 PM
When tuning....do you determine you slot port length with the gross box volume or net after the volume of the port is subtracted?

Jeepjones85
01-30-2009, 09:00 PM

Thats a new one I'v never heard... It not like, say a L7 is putting off square
frequency's

hoss
01-30-2009, 11:12 PM
why?
to reflect the shape of the wave.

Thats a new one I'v never heard... It not like, say a L7 is putting off square
frequency's

not square frequency's, you cant have a square frequency... you can have a square wave though...

roarzorz
01-31-2009, 12:50 PM
You can't efficiently push square waves through round ports. :laugh:
Round waves work fine through square ports though.

PIITB Wut Wut
01-31-2009, 01:04 PM
o lord

hoss
01-31-2009, 01:08 PM
You can efficiently push square waves through round ports. :laugh:

well yeah you can push them through, but you WILL notice a large difference in output and sound quality...

roarzorz
01-31-2009, 01:41 PM
You can efficiently push square waves through round ports. :laugh:

I fial. I meant to say can't. :crap:

Mike465
01-31-2009, 11:17 PM
to reflect the shape of the wave.

not square frequency's, you cant have a square frequency... you can have a square wave though...

Yeah for a digital signal, but your output is still going to be a sin wave

hoss
02-01-2009, 12:01 PM
Yeah for a digital signal, but your output is still going to be a sin wave

its a sine wave, and they are not always going to be sinusoidal...

Nobody's Louder
02-02-2009, 01:40 AM

Wrong. A square wave would be a clipped signal. It does not matter what the sub looks like.

hoss
02-02-2009, 10:25 AM
Wrong. A square wave would be a clipped signal. It does not matter what the sub looks like.

how is that statement wrong? in your reply you said yourself that you can have a square wave... and you are technically correct, it doesnt matter what the sub looks like, as long as you plan accordingly and make sure that your box and ports are shaped appropriately for the woofer.

tRiGgEr
02-02-2009, 10:29 AM

So people need to design their system around incorrect installation and setup?

That's rather retarded...

Dj Arr
02-02-2009, 10:38 AM
Logically round and slot are exactly the same if calculated correctly.
My kerfed boxes ALWAYS sound better than normal slot though.

hoss
02-02-2009, 10:44 AM
Logically round and slot are exactly the same if calculated correctly.
My kerfed boxes ALWAYS sound better than normal slot though.

well that makes sense seeing as how the kerfed port has a curve similar to most woofer cones. its pretty much logic and science, the closer the resemblance between the woofer and the port, the better your results will be :)

dman4486
02-02-2009, 10:47 AM
well that makes sense seeing as how the kerfed port has a curve similar to most woofer cones. its pretty much logic and science, the closer the resemblance between the woofer and the port, the better your results will be :)

passive radiator FTMFW

letchcore
02-02-2009, 11:13 AM

If thats the case then why are slot ports so popular now on round subs?

Lakota
02-02-2009, 11:50 AM
:laugh: @ hoss

hoss
02-02-2009, 11:58 AM
If thats the case then why are slot ports so popular now on round subs?
because there are lots of uneducated individuals in the world of car stereos...

:laugh: @ hoss

shhh, youre spoiling my fun :)