PDA

View Full Version : HDMI Cable vs Component Cable

XaznKewLguyX
01-29-2009, 11:05 PM
Discuss.

Will i see a big difference between the two for HDTV.

profundus-sanus
01-29-2009, 11:07 PM
hdmi

for sound quality especially... picture will look better, especially for action scenes.

Scoobydoo
01-29-2009, 11:10 PM
whats the display?

hdmi=digital
component=analog

TNTR70
01-29-2009, 11:14 PM
most likely not but why buy the comp set,(which aren't cheap) to only wonder if you'd have bought the hdmi, how much better would you like it

buy one cable, hdmi, and realize that you bought the best

XaznKewLguyX
01-29-2009, 11:16 PM
hdmi

for sound quality especially... picture will look better, especially for action scenes.

mmm i don't have much for sounds right now but I am working on a small H-T system.

whats the display?

hdmi=digital
component=analog

This is what I have for display:

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/detail/detail.do?group=televisions&type=televisions&subtype=lcdtv&model_cd=LN32A450C1DXZA

What do you guys think? Is getting a HDMI cable worth it?

What am i looking for in HDMI cables? I saw some at fry's that are like $40 and some up to $120.

XaznKewLguyX
01-29-2009, 11:17 PM
most likely not but why buy the comp set,(which aren't cheap) to only wonder if you'd have bought the hdmi, how much better would you like it

buy one cable, hdmi, and realize that you bought the best

the components came free with the box.

Scoobydoo
01-29-2009, 11:18 PM
on a 32" 720p lcd your not gonna see much of a difference if any at all

just buy a $6 hdmi cable from monoprice if your curious

PIITB Wut Wut
01-29-2009, 11:21 PM
ok.... hdmi and optical lines do the same quality which is the best mainstream market items you can get right now... fiberoptic is great but is very sensitve to bends and twists.... Hdmi does the same quality but is prone to pickup noise from powered items around them. if you can do either of those.... DO IT!

XaznKewLguyX
01-29-2009, 11:27 PM
mmm I guesss I'll give HDMI a try.

IDSkoT
01-29-2009, 11:30 PM
mmm I guesss I'll give HDMI a try.

What's the harm? A few bucks? Just try it out, see what you like more.

XaznKewLguyX
01-29-2009, 11:32 PM
What's the harm? A few bucks? Just try it out, see what you like more.

yeah, i went to frys and i saw HDMI cables for like $120 and i was like WHOA, is it really worth it?!?

So what am i looking for exactly in "good" HDMI cables? I know theres like 1.1, 1.2, 1.3. Whats the diff?

Scoobydoo
01-29-2009, 11:33 PM
ok.... hdmi and optical lines do the same quality which is the best mainstream market items you can get right now... fiberoptic is great but is very sensitve to bends and twists.... Hdmi does the same quality but is prone to pickup noise from powered items around them. if you can do either of those.... DO IT!

optical isnt sensitive to bends unless you try a 90 degree one, it is like a garden hose, as long as there are no kinks your fine

there are two main types of digital audio(spdif), optical and coax. optical uses toslink connections and coax uses rca connections. what connections you use will depend on the inputs and outputs of your components

hdmi combines the digital audio and digital video into one cable. if you use component cables you will also have to run either an optical or coax digital cable for sound

99traceralpine
01-29-2009, 11:34 PM
HDMI cables ****, they need to make them more secure when you plug them in. i use all HDMI and it pisses me off how easily they come out.

XaznKewLguyX
01-29-2009, 11:37 PM
optical isnt sensitive to bends unless you try a 90 degree one, it is like a garden hose, as long as there are no kinks your fine

there are two main types of digital audio(spdif), optical and coax. optical uses toslink connections and coax uses rca connections. what connections you use will depend on the inputs and outputs of your components

hdmi combines the digital audio and digital video into one cable. if you use component cables you will also have to run either an optical or coax digital cable for sound

that would explain why there is no sound coming from my tv speakers but only my reciever.

PIITB Wut Wut
01-29-2009, 11:40 PM

exactly... so if you use HDMi cables... which has been pointed out is less cables... just make sure they are not crossing power lines

tcguy85
01-30-2009, 12:44 AM
some tv's look better with HDMI and some look better with component cables.

look at monoprice.com for cheap but good HDMI cables.

XaznKewLguyX
01-30-2009, 01:14 AM
eh, too late..

I already bought this cable:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=250364949597

Just like when I was in car audio, i wanted all the top notch gear. Since I'm gonna get into H-T soon, might as well get some nice stuff to start with instead of switching it out in the future.

fasfocus00
01-30-2009, 01:18 AM
eh, too late..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=250364949597

Just like when I was in car audio, i wanted all the top notch gear. Since I'm gonna get into H-T soon, might as well get some nice stuff to start with instead of switching it out in the future.

well since your going to be getting into HT, you'll learn that your top notch stuff is not over paying for cables but in the speakers your choose and the receiver you choose. that'll be lesson #1.

shaneb
01-30-2009, 01:19 AM
I like HDMI cause its much more integrated. But for 720, you may not notice a difference. But honestly. For the price, I think it's worth going HDMI. Everyone's doing it :fyi:

XaznKewLguyX
01-30-2009, 01:20 AM
well since your going to be getting into HT, you'll learn that your top notch stuff is not over paying for cables but in the speakers your choose and the receiver you choose. that'll be lesson #1.

i already knew that, but thanks for you input.

joetama
01-30-2009, 01:56 AM
I'm a big fan of component in some systems, but in 99% HDMI is going to be the best option for you.

Actually a lot of Upconverting DVD Players won't upconvert over component.

If you want a really good cable at a really good price check out Blue Jean cable. It is the only place I buy cables.

Fiercetimbo17
01-30-2009, 04:39 AM
Depending on your source you honestly most likely will not notice a difference at all.

The real issue is alot of units will not do higher resolutions over component if they have an available HDMI output, they say it is for HD content protection which I can see to an extent but they are wanting to push HDMI

profundus-sanus
01-30-2009, 07:36 AM
on my cable box i definately noticed a difference between component and hdmi... although i didn't notice any change on my rca upconverting dvd player.

Thats on my 720p sony grand-wega

Scoobydoo
01-30-2009, 01:31 PM
eh, too late..

ouch, i hope you're joking, monster is overpriced crap. it is marketing BS, just like Bose and since this is a car forum, capacitors

i mentioned monoprice in one of my earlier posts and the 6ft HDMI cable from there would have been just as good for 1/4 the price

they even have a cool net jacket:)
http://images.monoprice.com/productlargeimages/36614.jpg

ngsm13
01-30-2009, 01:34 PM
Yah, idiot.

www.monoprice.com

nG

snb778
01-30-2009, 01:41 PM
you will not notice a difference unless you have like 100K in equip... Stamp that guarantee on that

joetama
01-30-2009, 03:10 PM
ouch, i hope you're joking, monster is overpriced crap. it is marketing BS, just like Bose and since this is a car forum, capacitors

i mentioned monoprice in one of my earlier posts and the 6ft HDMI cable from there would have been just as good for 1/4 the price

they even have a cool net jacket:)
http://images.monoprice.com/productlargeimages/36614.jpg

Actually this is true and false. Monster HDMI cables aren't junk like some of their products, they are just grossly overpriced.

Yah, idiot.

www.monoprice.com

nG

That's a kicken price for 1.3a CL2 certified cables.

you will not notice a difference unless you have like 100K in equip... Stamp that guarantee on that

Not true. I ran freebe and cheapo $30 Wal-Mart HDMI cables on a good deal of my video equipment. Recently I got a Rotel RDV-1092 and had these funny green specs on my screen. Figured they were just some odd artifact that the upconverting process was creating. But, after I got my BlueJean cables the green artifacts went away. I switched back out of curiosity to my Pioneer Elite DV-59Avi and almost all of the mosquito noise was gone. So I switched to my Phillips HDMI cable that I got at Wal-Mart (I was in a crunch) and the noise came back.

bds0688
01-30-2009, 03:15 PM
Actually this is true and false. Monster HDMI cables aren't junk like some of their products, they are just grossly overpriced.

That's a kicken price for 1.3a CL2 certified cables.

Not true. I ran freebe and cheapo $30 Wal-Mart HDMI cables on a good deal of my video equipment. Recently I got a Rotel RDV-1092 and had these funny green specs on my screen. Figured they were just some odd artifact that the upconverting process was creating. But, after I got my BlueJean cables the green artifacts went away. I switched back out of curiosity to my Pioneer Elite DV-59Avi and almost all of the mosquito noise was gone. So I switched to my Phillips HDMI cable that I got at Wal-Mart (I was in a crunch) and the noise came back.

Faulty cable?

joetama
01-30-2009, 04:07 PM
Faulty cable?

Low bandwidth...

bds0688
01-30-2009, 05:10 PM
Low bandwidth...

Fair enough.

And those BlueJean cables actually look reasonably priced for their build.

Scoobydoo
01-30-2009, 05:49 PM

I dont have much experience with them, because of my bad experience and their price. The one cable I did use years ago on my 40" tube was a Monster svideo and it kept falling out of the back of my tv and even when it did stay in it was really loose. I swapped it with a generic svideo cable and had no such problems ever again and the picture looked the same

I have a few monoprice component, optical and audio cables and they have never let me down, although if I did have a picture issue the cables and power ground would be the first thing I would check

96MaxGLE
01-30-2009, 06:24 PM
I really like the looks of those cables from monoprice...

I've bought all of my HDMI cables from partsexpress, price isn't as low as monoprice...but I just recently found out about monoprice.

snb778
01-30-2009, 06:37 PM
on my cable box i definately noticed a difference between component and hdmi... although i didn't notice any change on my rca upconverting dvd player.

Thats on my 720p sony grand-wega

im calling BS

have the same tv.. have tried several different cords... NO difference on any of them...

P.S. you can't tell unless you watch the exact same clip anyways, which 99% of people don't do when TRYING to tell a difference.

Have someone switch them up for you, and if 8/10 you guess right, THEN i'll believe it... this goes for all of you

joetama
01-31-2009, 01:27 PM
Fair enough.

And those BlueJean cables actually look reasonably priced for their build.

I'm very impressed with the build quality of the BlueJean cables. Solid cable for sure, good connectors, assembled well.

I don't have much experience with them, because of my bad experience and their price. The one cable I did use years ago on my 40" tube was a Monster svideo and it kept falling out of the back of my tv and even when it did stay in it was really loose. I swapped it with a generic svideo cable and had no such problems ever again and the picture looked the same

I have a few monoprice component, optical and audio cables and they have never let me down, although if I did have a picture issue the cables and power ground would be the first thing I would check

That is really ghey and I'm sure a lot of people have had similar experiences with Monster products. SVideo I really don't think you would notice improvement between an $8 and a $8,000 cable.

im calling BS

have the same tv.. have tried several different cords... NO difference on any of them...

P.S. you can't tell unless you watch the exact same clip anyways, which 99% of people don't do when TRYING to tell a difference.

Have someone switch them up for you, and if 8/10 you guess right, THEN i'll believe it... this goes for all of you

It could depend on his cable box. I know that when I had TWC component looked simply awful and HDMI looked really good. I have Cincinnati Bell now and there really isn't much difference.

shakinghorizons
01-31-2009, 04:12 PM
Pointless to have a blu-ray player without an HDMI cable, makes it so much chrisper, and the colors are amazing. :)

XaznKewLguyX
02-02-2009, 11:37 PM
got the cables today, installed them. Played around with the settings for half an hour and all i can say is...

WOW!

Those of you who said i will see no difference, you guys are on crack. It was like switching passive to active. Night and day difference.

IMO $40 well spent. :)

ngsm13
02-02-2009, 11:40 PM
Could have spent 1/10th of that...

nG

xplayazplayzonx
02-04-2009, 11:40 PM
i have a home theater setup.
hdmi carries both audio/video
component carries only video
hdmi can do full 1080p with 24p for cinema quality (if your tv supports it)
component stops at 1080i
hdmi also carries new audio formats like True HD and DTS HD (useful for 7.1 setups and up)
ive used both blue jean cables, and monoprice excellent cables for the money
than you will have to see if your receiver supports hdmi 1.3a and all that good stuff hehe

ngsm13
02-04-2009, 11:55 PM
i have a home theater setup.
hdmi carries both audio/video
component carries only video
hdmi can do full 1080p with 24p for cinema quality (if your tv supports it)
component stops at 1080i
hdmi also carries new audio formats like True HD and DTS HD (useful for 7.1 setups and up)
ive used both blue jean cables, and monoprice excellent cables for the money
than you will have to see if your receiver supports hdmi 1.3a and all that good stuff hehe

Incorrect, component carries 1080p...

:fyi:

nG

fasfocus00
02-05-2009, 12:13 AM
Incorrect, component carries 1080p...

:fyi:

nG

75 ohm component video cable can carry 1080p, just to add to what you said not a correction.

xplayazplayzonx
02-05-2009, 02:38 AM
werd mi bad most of the component cables ive seen just got 1080i maybe they are all teh sucky ones lmao

but why not go hdmi its the future :p

joetama
02-05-2009, 03:30 AM
75 ohm component video cable can carry 1080p, just to add to what you said not a correction.

The cables can do it. IIRC component in short runs is good up to 2160 30 frames. The problem is most TVs and sources are incompatible.

bds0688
02-05-2009, 05:03 PM
The cables can do it. IIRC component in short runs is good up to 2160 30 frames. The problem is most TVs and sources are incompatible.

^This.

I have some generic Components going from my at least 3 year old Yamaha Receiver to my TV. Carries 1080P. Source is a 360.

troy_audi0
02-05-2009, 07:54 PM
Can we lock this already, AVS has 100 threads like this