PDA

View Full Version : Either Tinsel Slap, or coil rub... not sure.

IDSkoT
01-29-2009, 01:47 AM
HAI GUYZ!
My right speaker occasionally makes this sound that kind of sounds like there's something on the cone with the driver faced up, and it's just rattling across the cone. It only happens sometimes... I'm thinking it's tinsel slap (I have no idea what it sounds like, but it does kind of sound like something is hitting the cone), or coil rub. (Don't know what that sounds like either.)

Any help on how to tell? I'm probably gunna pop open the door this weekend and see what the deal is. Maybe put a piece of felt around the tinsels. (Or are you supposed to just put the felt on the cone above the tinsels?)

djman37
01-29-2009, 01:50 AM
Coil rub you would hear at low volume and will sound like scratching. Tinsel slap usually leaves evidence on the under side of the cone. A loose dustcap will have a platic popping/fapping sound.

99traceralpine
01-29-2009, 01:52 AM
Coil rub you would hear at low volume and will sound like scratching. Tinsel slap usually leaves evidence on the under side of the cone. A loose dustcap will have a platic popping/fapping sound.

sorry to thread hijack, but what is the dustcap and can it be fixed?

cshaw
01-29-2009, 01:56 AM
pretty sure you can find out with a dmm if its the coils or not. pretty sure....

IDSkoT
01-29-2009, 01:56 AM

Alright. I'll check. Thanks. Will a piece of felt lower the sound?
And it's only at medium/high volumes. It doens't happen at lows... and only during some parts where there's mid-bass.

sorry to thread hijack, but what is the dustcap and can it be fixed?

The dustcap is the center part of the driver. For subs, they're normally big, for small mid-range drivers, they're small and circular. They're just supposed to cover the coil.
If it came off / came loose, I know you can use CA Glue to put it back on. People who recone full drivers use CA Glue to put on the dust cap. Not sure where to get it, what brand, etc. I just know the name of it.

IDSkoT
01-29-2009, 01:59 AM
pretty sure you can find out with a dmm if its the coils or not. pretty sure....

Coil rub doesn't mean the coil is bad. Just means that somehow the coil isn't centered anymore, or became disformed.

I know what all of these things are, just not what they sound like. Heh.

cshaw
01-29-2009, 02:05 AM
yeah, just thought it would read different touching the pole piece or something idk.

Cravingbass123
01-29-2009, 02:05 AM
get new speakers

problem solvedd

IDSkoT
01-29-2009, 11:09 AM
get new speakers

problem solvedd

I hate you sometimes-- actually, I hate you often.

You still need that enclosure designed? I feel like an *** for saying I'd do it, then completely forgetting about it. :x

Rashadddd
01-29-2009, 11:12 AM
pull it and play it free-air where you can listen with your eyes too

djman37
01-29-2009, 11:12 AM
what speakers have the slap? surely not the hz.

IDSkoT
01-29-2009, 11:16 AM
pull it and play it free-air where you can listen with your eyes too

Yeah. I guess I have to. I was kinda hoping to trouble shoot it with out taking my door off-- I just hate taking my **** doors off.
P.S. I kinda miss you, Rash. (No homo).

what speakers have the slap? surely not the hz.

Yepp. The Hertz. I've been wangin' on 'em for over a year now, and at one point for about 5 months the volume would be at nearly full tilt for 30+ minutes on my way to / from school. (Traffic's a *****.)
They're still the best speakers I've ever had.

Cravingbass123
01-29-2009, 12:03 PM
I hate you sometimes-- actually, I hate you often.

You still need that enclosure designed? I feel like an *** for saying I'd do it, then completely forgetting about it. :x

Lol, you said theres a prob with ur right speaker, and theres your easiest solution, replace, if u have stocks speaks, then you can step it up too!

nah i dont need that box design, we built the 3 15 box last week,
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=378204

IDSkoT
01-29-2009, 11:04 PM
Lol, you said theres a prob with ur right speaker, and theres your easiest solution, replace, if u have stocks speaks, then you can step it up too!

nah i dont need that box design, we built the 3 15 box last week,
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=378204

Ouch. That hurts.

The Hertz are ******, man. How can you say otherwise? They sound like God's balls slapping up against his legs. (Assuming that all things emitting from God are good.)

Rashadddd
01-29-2009, 11:08 PM
Yeah. I guess I have to. I was kinda hoping to trouble shoot it with out taking my door off-- I just hate taking my **** doors off.
P.S. I kinda miss you, Rash. (No homo).

Just admit it, you'd go homo for me

IDSkoT
01-29-2009, 11:22 PM
Just admit it, you'd go homo for me

In like "You're the last living person" situation, or like, "If you were closer to me" situation?
Either way, I'd have to agree. =|

Rashadddd
01-29-2009, 11:24 PM
In like "You're the last living person" situation, or like, "If you were closer to me" situation?
Either way, I'd have to agree. =|

;)

IDSkoT
01-29-2009, 11:28 PM
;)

Why'd yo uget banned? The infamous '08 ban?

Rashadddd
01-29-2009, 11:46 PM
Why'd yo uget banned? The infamous '08 ban?

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=379426

:waycrazy:

infamous_e46
01-30-2009, 12:03 AM
Homo's :yumyum:

Cravingbass123
01-30-2009, 12:12 AM
Ouch. That hurts.

The Hertz are ******, man. How can you say otherwise? They sound like God's balls slapping up against his legs. (Assuming that all things emitting from God are good.)

wait wut??lol

i think you understood my post in a negative manner haah

what i meant was if ur running ur stock car speakers, then it would be a great time to upgrade especially since this problem is happening. i wasnt talking **** nor did i know u r running hertz.

IDSkoT
01-30-2009, 12:55 AM
wait wut??lol

i think you understood my post in a negative manner haah

what i meant was if ur running ur stock car speakers, then it would be a great time to upgrade especially since this problem is happening. i wasnt talking **** nor did i know u r running hertz.

Oh, lmao. My bad. Yeah, running a pair of Hertz ESK165's. Their entry level ones. But they still rock face.

m3dia_lab
01-30-2009, 07:06 AM
lol greatest quote herer - "They sound like God's balls slapping up against his legs. (Assuming that all things emitting from God are good.)"

lol usually stick the felt on the cone of the driver

Megalomaniac
01-30-2009, 08:35 AM
Is it this noise?
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q151/Megalomaniac1989/HERTZ/th_MVI_0425.jpg (http://s135.photobucket.com/albums/q151/Megalomaniac1989/HERTZ/?action=view&current=MVI_0425.flv)

If it is, its over excursion hitting the back plate.

rollerdj
01-30-2009, 08:53 AM
Is it this noise?
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q151/Megalomaniac1989/HERTZ/th_MVI_0425.jpg (http://s135.photobucket.com/albums/q151/Megalomaniac1989/HERTZ/?action=view&current=MVI_0425.flv)

If it is, its over excursion hitting the back plate.

wow, looks like the cones gonna jump right out of the basket. :eek:

djman37
01-30-2009, 11:09 AM
if the VC is hitting the backplate, you'll have coil rub soon enough. cross over higher.

Megalomaniac
01-30-2009, 11:31 AM
if the VC is hitting the backplate, you'll have coil rub soon enough. cross over higher.

yep or cut the eq on the low end a few db

IDSkoT
01-30-2009, 02:51 PM
I just took out the driver... and when I only pushed on one side, I heard some rubbing... but when I pressed on 4 sides, rather than 1, no rubbing... but I did hear scratching toward the maximum excursion, but I'm assuming that's normal. I played it for 10 minutes, on high volumes on songs that have a lot of mid-bass, and I didn't hear anything. I did notice that my baffle is a POS and that it's not completely sealing off... so, looks like I need to borrow a jigsaw ASAP.

Rashadddd
01-30-2009, 02:57 PM
could it have been something rattling that you were hearing? like in your door? Before I deadened, on some hard midbass notes, panels would resonate bad enough to sound like distortion coming from the speakers