PDA

View Full Version : Spray on sound deadening

KB777
01-28-2009, 06:33 PM
I have seen a product that is a sprayon sound deadening and heat reducer. Will this work as good as something like dynomat? I know it would be a whole lot lighter. What is the best thing to use?

RetroAudioinc
01-28-2009, 06:34 PM
I am getting ready to build a new car I would like to know this as well.. Where did you see it at and how much??

KB777
01-28-2009, 06:46 PM
Im thinking from eastwood or something but i cant remember when i find it again i will let you know

KB777
01-28-2009, 06:47 PM
if it does work it will be the greatest thing in car audio since the subwoffer. lol

TurdFergueson2
01-28-2009, 06:51 PM
That aerosol stuff? I sprayed a little in my car. It takes too long to dry. once it dries it doesn't stink, but may take a few days for the smell to go away.

So from my limited experience with the spray can stuff............... I won't use it again. Might be decent in boxes or whatever, but not in the place of a dynamat type deadener.

budahbuddy803
01-28-2009, 06:54 PM
it wouldnt be dense enough i dont think. Pretty much the heavier the better. A spray is the opposite of heavy

KB777
01-28-2009, 07:05 PM
it was in a gal can not a spray can.

maximpakt
01-28-2009, 07:07 PM
The guy at circuit city was telling me dynamat has a product that comes by the gallon and you roll it on. I have not looked for it though.

maximpakt
01-28-2009, 07:09 PM
http://www.secondskinaudio.com/sound-deadener/spectrum-sludge.phpI would like to coat the underside of my car with this.

TurdFergueson2
01-28-2009, 07:10 PM
it was in a gal can not a spray can.

People have mixed results with that. Again, drying time would be an issue. I have a gallon of that myself that I will put some use to.

What's your budget on deadener?

KB777
01-28-2009, 07:13 PM
the less i spend on it the more i can spend on other mods. But i dont wanna WASTE my money on something that wont work. Id also like to keep it light as posible.

KB777
01-29-2009, 12:14 AM
eastwood carries some called lisardskin

nineball
01-29-2009, 09:14 AM
there are several companies who make visceolastic sound deadeners. second skin, e-dead and even dynomat make them. they will work just as good as your typical sheet-styled deadeners if you apply them correctly.

do not confuse these with bed liners or rust proofing coatings.

KB777
01-29-2009, 09:31 PM
what would the best brand be?

gotparts90
01-29-2009, 09:56 PM
I have useed cascade and I like it. Its very heavy and thats what sound deadener does well is mass load the panel. It does take a little time to dry between coats but for a trunk and floor its great. I like not having to cut strips and fart around with pressing it into corners, just pour it in and roll it out. I would still use some matt on my next car but its gunna be 80 percent liquid and some matt on the roof. The liquid sticks great I would just do the roof so I don't drip.

KB777
01-30-2009, 10:12 PM
I have useed cascade and I like it. Its very heavy and thats what sound deadener does well is mass load the panel. It does take a little time to dry between coats but for a trunk and floor its great. I like not having to cut strips and fart around with pressing it into corners, just pour it in and roll it out. I would still use some matt on my next car but its gunna be 80 percent liquid and some matt on the roof. The liquid sticks great I would just do the roof so I don't drip.

who sells cascade

connersdad19
01-30-2009, 10:15 PM
who sells cascade

parts express is where i got my rattle can spray on liner and its great.

shaneb
01-30-2009, 10:19 PM
the less i spend on it the more i can spend on other mods. But i dont wanna WASTE my money on something that wont work. Id also like to keep it light as posible.
This is the complete opposite from the purpose of sound deadening. The whole goal is to add mass and weight to the panel or surface that you are applying it to. Your trying to kill reverb in the surface. If you go with light, you will have wasted your money.
Second Skin makes Spectrum Sludge. I would recommend that.

KB777
01-31-2009, 01:49 AM
ya but a roll/spray on deadening system would be lighter so if it works just as good i would want to use that to keep the weight down for speed pourposes. not tryin to have a spl ride just a system that dont rattle and buzz

gotparts90
02-01-2009, 03:18 PM
I dont think it will be any lighter if you do it right. If you do just hit the large flattes areas that would probably help the most while only adding as little as possible to the car but IMO is just silly. If you are worried that much about it not unless you are stripping the car or seats and door panels i don't know why you are worried about the 80 pounds that will add.

I got my cascade from PartsExpress. I want to try the sludge too to see if its different. If anyone wants to trade some sludge for cascade to compare tell me.

sexyvic1
02-02-2009, 06:57 PM
not sure if it is true or not but i heard that these spray on and roll on deadners actually causes the vehicle to rust.

KB777
02-06-2009, 11:00 AM
oh my:eek:

galacticmonkey
02-06-2009, 04:14 PM
Ive used the Second Skin spray on and it only works if you spray it real thick.

Its a pain in the *** to spray, and a pain in the *** to put mat on. Id say pick whichever you think ***** less. SUpposedly it works best when you double layer mat, then spray on deadener real thick.

The Second Skin stuff Damplifier and Damplifier Pro is real good stuff, and reasonably prices for what you get.

donpisto
02-06-2009, 04:37 PM
Ive used the Second Skin spray on and it only works if you spray it real thick.

Its a pain in the *** to spray, and a pain in the *** to put mat on. Id say pick whichever you think ***** less. SUpposedly it works best when you double layer mat, then spray on deadener real thick.

The Second Skin stuff Damplifier and Damplifier Pro is real good stuff, and reasonably prices for what you get.

If you don't use their sprayer that is the problem. It's too thick for it. I diluted it with water sinec I forgot the spray at home when I went to a buddy's house to use his air compressor. I did 3 thick layers.

To the OP, I would recommend doing at least several layers, otherwise there is not much point in doing it and it will not be near as effective as it should be.