PDA

View Full Version : Truck won't start im getting nothing:(

audiobahnuser18
01-28-2009, 02:32 AM
Alright guy's i need some help im stumped. Ok i was driving yesterday fine everything fine started up truck just fine then was driving everything normal. Went to go get some gas then went to go turn truck over and i got nothing i just tried to start it and a real faint sound from the piezo from the alarm was beeping so first thing i fig. it's the alarm look under the dash a 30amp fuse was blown so i went ran to autozone and got a pack 30amps threw new one is ok the alarm now works actually the doors lock , unlock etc....But i go to start my truck and still nothing not even clickn sounds like the starter and im getting power because dome lights turn on radio turns on nothing dims etc....i checked the voltage at the front batt & other two batts and there all sitting 12v+ so there all good no loose connections. Im not getting nothing , so i had to get towed home and now my truck sitting in garage that can't start:(. Someone out there hope u can help me:(.

Pioneer~Saturn
01-28-2009, 02:44 AM
Did you check all of your fusing?...Do you even get a tick/click of some kind when you turn the key?

TnT_Sounds
01-28-2009, 02:46 AM
Does the fuel pumps prime? Does all your vital engine lights come on in your dash bezel? Have you tried disconnecting your battery and re-connecting it? Try a reverse prob on your starter with your DMM

TnT_Sounds
01-28-2009, 02:48 AM
Also you could've broke the key locking pin inside your steering column. Is the key hard to turn? does it turn further than normal? does your steering wheel unlock?

audiobahnuser18
01-28-2009, 02:51 AM
Steering wheel unlocks , key isn't hard to turn , i get no clicking sounds not nothing when i go to turn the key , when go to turn it i get all dash lights etc.... on like normal on bezel , dome light comes on , but when go to turn it i don't get no clicking no sound of anything.

TheyDontWant
01-28-2009, 02:53 AM
is it in park? :p

audiobahnuser18
01-28-2009, 02:54 AM
theydontwant very funny yes its in park. Like i said i get everything like normal but no start not even a clicking sound.

TheyDontWant
01-28-2009, 02:56 AM
theydontwant very funny yes its in park. Like i said i get everything like normal but no start not even a clicking sound.

try starting it in neutral, or try slamming the gear selector into park.

audiobahnuser18
01-28-2009, 02:59 AM
i won't get nothing at all man. 2morro i plan on checking voltage at the starter want to also check the coil on side of the firewall anyone know how to check that exatcly though. This vechile is a 93 ford explorer v6 4.0L.

Stephen_c
01-28-2009, 03:06 AM
Check fuses, fuseable links, might be the starter solenoid

sixfootman2005
01-28-2009, 03:06 AM
my first guess would be the starter since you said voltage is fine and there's no clicking or anything

KyleBechtold
01-28-2009, 03:08 AM
usually even if it is the starter it will click and fail.. check you spark plugs wires etc etc.. or idk if you have a shop that does free inspections.. we do near me.. but to have to drag it there and back would be the issue

audiobahnuser18
01-28-2009, 03:09 AM
Anyone know where this starter is located on a 93 ford explorer v6 4.0? Also anyone know hwo to test that coil on the side of the firewall by the battery?

audiobahnuser18
01-28-2009, 03:10 AM
Yeah man its basically got new everything in it. cause not to long ago head gasket blew so replaced it all and did it right.

TheyDontWant
01-28-2009, 03:11 AM
check you spark plugs wires etc etc..

you do know the purpose of spark plug leads, right? lol

audiobahnuser18
01-28-2009, 03:19 AM
Anyone know how i could check the starter solonoid(sry if spelt wrong) on the side of the firewall?

TheyDontWant
01-28-2009, 03:23 AM
Anyone know how i could check the starter solonoid(sry if spelt wrong) on the side of the firewall?

pretty sure the starter solenoid would be mounted on the starter motor...

dave_damage
01-28-2009, 03:24 AM
I am thinking maybe a malfunction with the alarm? Like the Killswitch is still engaged.

audiobahnuser18
01-28-2009, 03:25 AM
dave damage that is what i was thinkn also but i have no idea to reset it etc.....

audiobahnuser18
01-28-2009, 03:26 AM
theydontwant not all starter solenoids mounted on the starter itself.

crunktimes.com
01-28-2009, 03:26 AM
Have you topped of the blinker fluid?

audiobahnuser18
01-28-2009, 03:27 AM

WTF are you talkn about????????

dave_damage
01-28-2009, 03:38 AM
Is your alarm a DEI product?

audiobahnuser18
01-28-2009, 03:40 AM
dave damage my alarm is a code alarm 2way setup.

dave_damage
01-28-2009, 03:42 AM
Ca170?

Stephen_c

i lol'd:laugh:

I am thinking maybe a malfunction with the alarm? Like the Killswitch is still engaged.

there should be a relay on the starter wire if its an aftermarket alarm.

I bought a suburban because it "needed a starter" and it was a 10 min fix.:greedy:

audiobahnuser18
um.......sh*t can't remember model of it i can describe it to you though it has the silver remote with the lcd on it.

dave_damage
01-28-2009, 03:45 AM
Is the brain easily accessible?

Stephen_c
starter wire should be red with a light blue stripe. should be cut in half and each side wired to a relay terminal.

audiobahnuser18
yeah it is now. the panel underneath dash is off and i can see the brain so yes.

treadburner
01-28-2009, 03:48 AM
is it t'ed in or soldered

audiobahnuser18
01-28-2009, 03:50 AM
is it t'ed in or soldered

What are you talkn bout?

nikhcePtcejorP
01-28-2009, 03:56 AM
1 . Fuses
2.) Have somebody beat the starter with a blunt object as you try to start the car
Check spark plugs and spark plug connectors
3.) is Check engine light on?

audiobahnuser18
01-28-2009, 03:57 AM
1 . Fuses
2.) Have somebody beat the starter with a blunt object as you try to start the car
Check spark plugs and spark plug connectors
3.) is Check engine light on?

1.) plan on that 2morro also
2.) there all good
3.) No not lit at all.

nikhcePtcejorP
01-28-2009, 04:01 AM
All belts good?

Whack the starter as you start the car, it mak the starter turn over if it is indeed broken

Have you tried turning the T belt and D belts?

are they all capable of moving? Is there anything that ceased, is stuck or won't budge?

TheyDontWant
01-28-2009, 04:04 AM
All belts good?

Whack the starter as you start the car, it mak the starter turn over if it is indeed broken

Have you tried turning the T belt and D belts?

are they all capable of moving? Is there anything that ceased, is stuck or won't budge?

lol, your mechanical skills fail!

audiobahnuser18
01-28-2009, 04:05 AM
Belt would have nothing to do with it bro. im off 2 bed guys ill deff keep u guys updated what happens hopefully get it fixed 2morro. Here's what im gonna do

Things to check

1.) connections again
2.) ALL fuses
3.) Starter solenoid
4.) starter itself
5.)killswitch on alarm

Not in order im going to do them.

nikhcePtcejorP
01-28-2009, 04:23 AM
Belt would have nothing to do with it bro. im off 2 bed guys ill deff keep u guys updated what happens hopefully get it fixed 2morro. Here's what im gonna do

Things to check

1.) connections again
2.) ALL fuses
3.) Starter solenoid
4.) starter itself
5.)killswitch on alarm

Not in order im going to do them.

If the belt is stuck, it won't turn the engine over.

:fyi:

TheyDontWant
01-28-2009, 04:28 AM
If the belt is stuck, it won't turn the engine over.

:fyi:

lol, of course it will.

the starter motor has enough torque to break the belts :rolleyes:

treadburner
01-28-2009, 05:25 AM
What are you talkn bout?

was gonna say if they teed them all in instead of sodering them on that one of the wires on his alarm may have cam undone
i know alot of places uses those ****t's and i hate em
but idk if that would cause his car to not turn over

could be a sensor

maxxguy1
01-28-2009, 10:33 AM
find the orange starter kill wire on the alarm and trace it to the starter kill relay and take the relay out and replace it, if that dose not work cut the orange wire and try to start the truck if it does then you will know if its a alarm problem

THUNDERBIRD
01-28-2009, 12:13 PM
well the most obvious that i am going to throw out there STARTER KILL!! check that, sometimes if something happens to the alarm it will activate the starter kill(if hooked up) i have seen it many a times. so reconnect your starter wire back together and that should fix it.

SentraStyleEMW
01-28-2009, 04:23 PM

Good stuff. I remember a time at work we convinced this guy he needed blinker fluid...but that it had to be blue blinker fluid...that orange blinker fluid stuff won't work on his car. He must have called every pepboy, discount auto parts, etc. in the area...we all laughed our asses off.

DBDRAGGUY
01-28-2009, 05:09 PM
This has to be an alarm issue,

The starter interupt/remote start circuit should be fused. Have you checked these?

Does the alarm have onboard relays or a relay pack near the steering column?

Have you unplugged the alarm brain box and tried to start the truck?

audiobahnuser18
01-29-2009, 12:52 AM
Well guys after countless number of things i tried starter solenoid , checked all connections and signal going to solenoid. My friend doug came over we found the starter wire underneath the dash so started testing those nothing then one of them found was being grounded out. followed it to this plug lookn thing with loooks like plastic piece pluged into it with prongs i don't have a clue what was neither did he neither of us have ever seen it. So then we test the test light there and sure enough there is out short a Solid pink wire somewhere throughout my car shorted it out probably cause the winter weather bs we been having. so i went cut both those wires from the plug took the starter wire butt connector at end of it then ran a wire to the signal wire on the solenoid another butt connector there. Yay can now start it with the key i ran the wire through the firewall and used wire loom al through out it also with electrical tape just in case. Works great now only problem is remote start don't work for some reason but the alarm does. But thats a whole nother ball game at least i can start it with a key and im very thankful isn't the starter. Sux don't have remote start but im gonna have em take a look at it maybe its something needs to be turned on or something with the alarm idk im not fckn with it.

THUNDERBIRD
01-29-2009, 01:52 PM
you should have taken pictures. but sounds like the starter kill on the alarm went bad. i have seen it alot there should have been a green and purple wire hooked onto the ignitions wires of the car under the dash, i would have cut them back about 3 inches and connected green and purple and that should have solved it then, if a shop installed it i would have taken it to them and told them what happened what you had to do and they would probly replace the relay pack on the remote start.